walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two sporks to the wind on Badandun Hill

Two sporks to the wind on Badandun Hill

Postby Graeme D » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Badandun Hill

Date walked: 17/08/2011

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was in Blairgowrie for a meeting and with no work commitments later that afternoon, I headed on up to tackle Badandun Hill.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked up just beyond the bridge over the River Isla on the other side from the castle and farm and headed up the track, initially following part of the Cateran Trail. At the large dog-leg bend to the right, I left the landrover track and cut onto a grassy track which contoured slowly around the SW slopes of Badandun hill, looking for an optimal line of attack. My pace was somewhat quickened by the onset of an attack of horrible big flies, not your usual pesky flies that buzz around above your head and occasionally into your eyes or ears, but big black buggers with red eyes ..... hundreds if not thousands of 'em .... I think I maybe nailed 2 or 3 at most..... :( :o ..... They just kept coming out of nowhere in droves. When they did land a blow it nipped. I tried embalming myself in copious amounts of the Skin so Soft that had spent most of the summer unused in the side pocket of my Vango daypack, but I remain unsure whether this deterred them or simply spurred them on. And then, after about 15 minutes or so of rapid marching and dancing like a deranged Morris Dancer (gawd, I hope nobody was watching through binoculars!), they vanished as quickly as they had appeared. They reappeared briefly about 5-10 minutes into the descent off the other side of the summit, but other than that the walk was uneventful save for one little oversight of potentially catastrophic consequence! As I was approaching the farm at Fergus, I stopped for a swig of water and a quick squizz at the map and to my horror, I noticed that the zip on the hood pocket of my pack was wide open. That would be the pocket that contained 2 sporks (which for some reason were in there) ....... my wallet....... and my car keys. Along with house keys and keys for various assorted cupboards, drawers and filing cabinets at work. Aghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! My panic was short lived however, as the wallet and keys were still there. As for the sporks, well, they had accompanied me through many day trips and multi-day wild camp epics, but where they are now is anyone's guess. The sporks my friend, are blowing in the wind, somewhere 'round Badandun Hill ...

IMG_7771.JPG
Signage at start

IMG_7774.JPG
Mount Blair about 5-10 minutes in

IMG_7779.JPG
Across Glen Isla towards Monamenach

IMG_7784.JPG
View ahead shortly before massive fly attack

IMG_7787.JPG
Auchintaple Loch and Mount Blair

IMG_7790.JPG
Auchintaple Loch and Loch Shandra

IMG_7791.JPG
Summit in the distance

IMG_7794.JPG
Creag Leacach and Glas Maol across the peat hags

IMG_7797.JPG
Distant Mount Blair and close-up deer salt licker

IMG_7802.JPG
Mount Blair from near the summit

IMG_7804.JPG
Mayar and Driesh from summit trig

IMG_7807.JPG
Glas Tulaichean

IMG_7809.JPG
Creag Leacach and Glas Maol again ..... and a worrying bald patch

IMG_7811.JPG
Mount Blair

IMG_7812.JPG
Descent NW to the track

IMG_7814.JPG
Mount Blair round the western slopes of Badandun Hill

IMG_7816.JPG
Approaching farm at Fergus - view north into the Caenlochan Forest

IMG_7817.JPG
Holiday chalet in farm grounds

IMG_7818.JPG
South down Glen Isla from Fergus

IMG_7820.JPG
River Isla and Creagan Caise

IMG_7823.JPG
Field of Angus with Caenlochan Forest peaks beyond

IMG_7825.JPG
The End
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Two sporks to the wind on Badandun Hill

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Another amusing title and interesting wander Graeme :thumbup: You're fairly racking up the grahams and sub-2000s :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Like it too. Very nice walk and cool picture of the salt licker.... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby malky_c » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:38 am

Nice route - it's such an easy hill to nip up and down the same route by, so good to see you found a decent circuit on it.

I quite frequently have car key paranoia, usually after finding a new hole in my pockets. Haven't lost them yet though!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby neilmci » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:15 am

Malky - thats you put the hoodoo on it!

I frequently walk back to the car to check its locked - despite knowing its locked. Its OK when you check while still in the remote distance, but a bit of a bugger when you are about a mile away!

Dont even get me started on iron paranoia. The number of times i have been late for work after going back to check is ridiculous - and every time it has been off!
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 pm

NANOO-NANOO,Spork & Mindy are missing,NANOO-NANOO
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland