walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of Wirren: Edzell Approach

Hill of Wirren: Edzell Approach

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Hill of Wirren

Date walked: 21/08/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 700m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having been in the midst of my football pre season and a trip to Egypt; it meant that I hadn't been out on the hills since the beginning of July. I had a few days to spare before going back to work but sadly had fixtures on the Sat & Monday meaning I couldn't go overboard on hills; I decided on a quick blast up the Hill of Wirren in Angus.

There are many different routes up this; I had done a reccy on the MIlden Lodge and Glen Lethnot approaches previously but chose to go from the back of Edzell to save on fuel costs.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was a nice Sunny day and I parked up beside the farm entrance track to Cowiehill farm and headed off up the track.
IMG_3172.JPG
Cowiehill Track

When you reach the cottage; head out the back but head directly up alongside the trees as opposed to along the "track" and fencepost as you end up in marshy cow pat territory...

IMG_3173.JPG
Coooooos

I crossed the stream at the farm fence and continued on the landrover track up towards the Hill of Corthathro; or so I thought. I stupidly went along the wrong landrover track and ended up striking heather up the hill. My tip is to stay on the most visible landrover track and don't deviate :?
IMG_3176.JPG
Cothartho

From Cotharthro; you enjoy great views in all directions over the Montrose, Glen Esk, Glen Lethnot and some of Glen Clova. There is a clear landrover track all of the way to East Wirren with the option to go direct to the summit about halfway up East Wirren.
IMG_3177.JPG
East Wirren
. Good views.
IMG_3186.JPG
Hill of Garvock & Montrose

Here I reached the summit of East Wirren and enjoyed a banana and soaking in the views; just a few days ago I was sitting in the Sinai Desert in Egypt; the heather clad Angus Glens (and temperature!) were quite a different kettle of fish.
IMG_3191.JPG
East Wirren Summit

There doesn't appear to be any clear route to the Hill of Wirren Summit other than through a load of Peat Hag; as such I decided to descend across the Grassy Moorland and join the track which runs parrallel with Hill of Wirren and acess from the Mount Battock side. The Hill of Wirren itself is a large boggy plain full of peat hag and fence (both electric and standard); East Wirren is def the highlight of the two!
IMG_3198.JPG
Hill of Hag
. The Sumit does have a good view of Mount Battock and Clachnaben....
IMG_3201.JPG
Mount Battock

I headed back through the peat hags and back the way I came stopping of for a few photos along the way.
IMG_3209.JPG
Hill of Sturdy
IMG_3212.JPG
Way Back Home (no bike sadly!)

Good to get back out on the hills again and it's nice to know that I have the gems of Angus literally 15 mins from the house!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Hill of Wirren: Edzell Approach

Postby kevsbald » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:38 pm

ye lucky sod.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Good to see you back out again GGE :thumbup:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Very useful info for future reference Gable. Cheers :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby morag1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Nice pictures of a nice walk :thumbup:
Is that last pic Cairn o' mount? If so i know it well as we drive over it when going to visit the family in Aberdeen. We sometimes stop there for a coffee, the views are tremendous
morag1

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:18 pm

cheers all

Morag; last pic has Strathfinella Hill in the corner which ajoins Cairn O Mount. COM is just out of the shot. Great views for little effort round these parts :)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Beckie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Great photos, complete opposite of Egypt!
Beckie
Munro compleatist

Munros:34   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland