walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Just Schiehallion

Just Schiehallion

Postby 147cjl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 29/08/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 750m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After just a bit over 2 weeks since my last walk I was getting withdrawals, so after missing out on Saturday took advantage of the bank holiday and as the SE Highlands looked most promising for the afternoon, decided on Schiehallion. I've admired this mountain from other peaks so it was overdue really.

I left the house at 12, about 7 hours after I usually do, for a change :) , the drive up through Crieff and Aberfeldy seemed to take so long and i was impatient to get going. When I arrived at Braes of Foss car park was a bit dismayed to find they charge £2 for parking, so had to scrape some change from around the car, however this included 2 and 5p's so was no use - so no ticket.

I was travelling light again as I'm still without rucksack, and my prayers for the rain to stay off paid off as it was dry out and back. I set myself a fair old pace, I'm not usually in that much hurry but for some reason really wanted to get on, however was dealt a blow when I saw how much climbing there was still to do when I reached the plateau. Onwards and upwards though, across the boulders which I found to be great fun hopping across them, than arrived at a busy old summit with a group of schoolkids about a dozen strong with their teachers. Quick snack at the top then headed back down exact same way, running over the boulders was sometimes the only option with the gusty wind behind me.
Attachments
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0705.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland