walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nominate walk reports (or not)

Nominate walk reports (or not)

by Paul Webster » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:56 am

Date walked: 01/09/2011

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Nominate walk reports of the month - September

Postby kevsbald » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:48 am

Great idea Paul.

In my opinion, the WOTM for August was very good indeed. But, I think mine was better. :D
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Nominate walk reports of the month - September

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Hmm, maybe it is the best solution that an independent body picks the winners :D

Paul Webster wrote:All reports receiving a like will be passed automatically to Webtogs so they can choose the winners

Sometimes really good reports get overlooked, especially if there's been a good weather recently and many people posted their stories. If these reps aren't "liked" then their authors may miss the chance...
Also, will the number of "likings" influence the chance of getting the prize?

I'm sorry for being so picky, just sharing my "fresh thoughts" about the discussed subject.
Regards
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Nominate walk reports (or not)

Postby skuk007 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:10 pm

So difficult to get this right, I bet Paul's head is spinning. :)

Another possibility - if someone posts a report which is obviously fabulous, gets lots of "likes" and looks destined to win (deservedly) then other posters might hang on until the following month before posting their reports for that month, just so they are in with a chance. :think: :problem:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

BlackPanther wrote:Hmm, maybe it is the best solution that an independent body picks the winners :D

:thumbup:

skuk wrote:Another possibility - if someone posts a report which is obviously fabulous... looks destined to win (deservedly) then other posters might hang on until the following month before posting their reports for that month, just so they are in with a chance. :think: :problem:

I think some people do that already when they think a winner is already out there that month :wink:

BlackPanther wrote:Sometimes really good reports get overlooked, especially if there's been a good weather recently and many people posted their stories. If these reps aren't "liked" then their authors may miss the chance...
Also, will the number of "likings" influence the chance of getting the prize?

I don't think any report that is likely to be a winner has much trouble getting a single like to be passed across. After that, it is all up to Webtogs. :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:07 pm

Okay okay my turn :?

I think I'll take the liberty of calling myself a 'regular poster' having posted 34 walk reports this year since I've joined :D

They do take some effort, I agree with that Monty on that front (and he does deserve a prize, even if he died at Mullardoch) - one thing that would help is the ability to submit multiple photographs in one go, or can you already do that? :think: :think:

Anyways, for my tuppence worth, I don't post trip reports to win, I post them for two reasons:

1. I find others a really useful tool for researching some routes, especially those you might be a bit worried about - Liathach for example... so it's good to do that for others also
2. To record the memories :D

I was lucky enough to win May with my Liathach on Fire report and it was a lovely bonus, hope you all enjoyed it, and since it's had over 5,000 views now some people must have used it :D

And as to excluding previous winners, personally I'm happy to receive a lifetime ban from the prize; I've had my lucky bonus, and I would like to see it spread out as much as possible.

My bottom line, I think there are loads of cracking reports that make me smile, laugh, etc etc, and to boot are a fantastic resource for all of us.

Keep em up, and hey, I'm happy to buy everyone in Kintail a beer this weekend as my 'monthly prize' - yep even you Monty :thumbup:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby MG1976 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:41 pm

I'd just like to say this......

I think everyone who has posted a comment on this thread has had fair reason to state their opinions.

We may agree with some, we may not. Our choice to state our agreement, or disagreement (if that be the case) is one of the many good things that makes Walkhighlands what it is.
My opionion, dare I voice it, is that this website is very much "for the people, by the people", only possible by the no doubt enless hours put in by Paul to keep things running.

I think, and i'm not saying that anyone who has voiced their opinion on this thread is meaning otherwise, that Paul should be credited with the amount of effort it must take on his part to keep this excellent site running. I understand people wanting "things to be fair", but we're all going to have slightly differing opinions on exactly what "fair" is.

I don't really mind who is judging, or on what criteria. I'm happy to accept that whatever decison has been made, has been done so with nothing but good intentions.

And Paul, cheers for making me a Walk Report winning with my Super-Chase's Shiehallion Fiasco last year. I was well worth the £20 bride :)
MG
Last edited by MG1976 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Like it! Well done Paul getting the webtogs guys and girls to do the judging. Why don't these kind webtogs people have two prizes? One for Scotland and one for the rest of the world? After all my wife bought her new boots from them recently....hehehe :lol:
Totally with andrewdoggett's 2 reasons for posting, couldn't agree more! And "Yes" here's to continued laughter and smiles as we enjoy each other's tales and banter........mountains and the sea - yeha!!!
All the best to all ,
Bod :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby morag1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Paul, bet you're sick and tired of trying to please everyone :(

I would just like to say I haven't posted many walk reports and dont really think about winning a prize when I do.
I like interacting with people on this site and sharing stories of days out, whether it's the Aonach Eagach or just a walk along the beach in the sunshine. However I recognise that some people produce walk reports of high quality, and therefore i think they should be rewarded with a monthly prize, REGARDLESS of whether other people like their report or not.

But I also think the award should go to a day out on the Scottish Hills, the web site is all about walking in the Highlands.

Thanks to everyone who reports on this site, I really enjoy looking at your pictures and reading your stories

Keep safe everyone :D
morag1

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:15 pm

morag1 wrote:Paul, bet you're sick and tired of trying to please everyone :(

I would just like to say I haven't posted many walk reports and dont really think about winning a prize when I do.
I like interacting with people on this site and sharing stories of days out, whether it's the Aonach Eagach or just a walk along the beach in the sunshine. However I recognise that some people produce walk reports of high quality, and therefore i think they should be rewarded with a monthly prize, REGARDLESS of whether other people like their report or not.

But I also think the award should go to a day out on the Scottish Hills, the web site is all about walking in the Highlands.

Thanks to everyone who reports on this site, I really enjoy looking at your pictures and reading your stories

Keep safe everyone :D

I totally agree... :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland