walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Wyvis (my 1st Munro)

Ben Wyvis (my 1st Munro)

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 01/08/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 935m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munro No 001

Date - Sat 01/08/2009
Munros -Ben Wyvis
Route - Parked car in the Ben Wyis cark park near Garbat. Plan is to ascend on the main tourist route: up the West ridge of An Cabar, and walk along the plateau to the main summit - Glas Leathad Mor (1046m). We will retrace our steps on the way down.
Weather - Good (no rain, some wind, cloud free summit (just))
Attendees - ScottC, ColinL
Time - 6.5 hrs
Distance - 14km/8.75 miles
Ascent - 935 m
Max Altitude -1046 m

A quick stop next to Loch Glascarnoch for a look at Ben Wyvis and the clouds above! (fingers crossed they wouldn't come down much more!):

We parked in the Ben Wyis cark park near Garbat. Plan is to ascend on the main tourist route: up the West ridge of An Cabar, and walk along the plateau to the main summit - Glas Leathad Mor (1046m). We will retrace our steps on the way down. We began at 1pm (a bit later than planned!)

Route82.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Didn't read it as we wanted to get cracking....

And so the path begins on my first Munro adventure... (I'm sure wet starts knee deep in mud are yet to come...):

As we approach through the woods we get our first glimpes of where (hopefully) we'll end up:

Think it was about here that I broke through the first pain barrier (and rid myself of any "what the hell am I doing" thoughts) and was set up for hours of walking no problem :lol:. Ben Wyis on the left, Little Wyvis on the right.

Nice stream (and I couldn't see any dead green sheep I keep hearing about people finding in these things, anyway I had plenty of Evian with me....)

Nearly there :lol: Getting closer, I laugh to myself about how hard it is to comprehend the size of the mountain/length of walk. Keep repeating to myself some words I read somewhere about mountaineering along the lines of: 1. Judge the distance, then 2. Triple it. Still, it is getting closer...

A quick look back the way. Sky starting to look very healthy...hopefully coming our way:

Right we are. Lets get up there!:

We soldier on for 30 mins to be rewarded with a great view looking West (over to x area and y mountain....I'll learn them in time!):

Looks easy...but at times each one of these steps seemed like very hard work!!! (nothing a chunk of Green & Blacks Chocolate didn't sort out....)

Time for a break, time for a random photo standing on a boulder....

Short clip of it all (taken close to the top of An Cabar)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TPEyeZ6FhA[/youtube]

A look across to Little Wyvis. We're high up now.

We make it to the Cairn of An Cabar.

We stop there for 20 mins to devour several sandwiches, banana, more chocolate & fig rolls.

A figure on the summit we're about to arrive at!

Coire na Feola:

:clap:

We made it :D

The wind picks up and the grey sky starts to move in - seems a good time to start the descent! It's near 5pm now, about 4 hours after we started (no need to rush your first Munro eh...)

We make our way down the ridge and find a nice refreshing breeze!:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_eoc0RH37s[/youtube]

Half way down:

7.30pm. 6.5 hours total. We get to the bottom as the cloud covers over the mountain top!

[UPDATE 17/08/2009]: We went up Ben Wyvis again 2 weeks later on 15/08/2009, but this time taking the longer one way route - ascending An Cabar and descending down Tom a Choinnich. Trip report for this one is here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1565

Route taken first time 01/08/2009
Last edited by HighlandSC on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 11 times in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Ben Wyvis (my 1st Munro)

Postby canisp » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:25 pm

A fine set of photo’s :D :D and what a cracking day for your first Munro, well done.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby Michelle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:31 am

Ooh well done Scott, and a fine report too! Looks like you guys couldn't have timed it much better with that cloud rolling in. On to the next one now eh? :D
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks Michelle. Yep our luck was in all day I think with the cloud!

We've got 2 days in the Cairngorms in a couple of weeks with a guide so we can really hone our navigation and other hills skills.

Then as you know we're thinking of tackling Blaven!! :crazy: :D
HighlandSC

Postby MrsBeaver » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:51 am

Woaaaheee, I did my first Munro yesterday as well! Well done you, and in about the same time as us lol. How are your legs today? :lol:
MrsBeaver

Munros:1   

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:01 am

Hey Mrs Beaver, yes well done to you as well, I had a read of your trip report.

My legs are reasonably okay now (but that's because it's nearly a week ago I did the walk!). I've added the date to the top of my report. The day after they were a little tender for sure! :lol:
HighlandSC

Postby Michelle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:20 pm

HighlandSC wrote:We didn't mess around much on the descent - and ran parts of it as it seemed easier than constantly working against gravity!

Lol... I do that too. Only I've learned the hard way that sometimes gravity is NOT my friend! Sometimes better to have it working against you for a bit than to have it work for you a little too well... hmm maybe I oughta see about those poles after all :lol:
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:55 am

Good stuff and well done on that first Munro - it seems you are very keen and I'm sure will have a load of them done soon. Don't worry, you'll find that mud :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:59 am

LOL...in a sick kind of way I'm kind of looking forward to getting suited up in all the rain gear/gaiters and just trudging on for hours in heavy rain! (I'm unsure how long that feeling will last when it happens though! :lol: )
HighlandSC

Postby Highart13 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:29 am

HighlandSC wrote:LOL...in a sick kind of way I'm kind of looking forward to getting suited up in all the rain gear/gaiters and just trudging on for hours in heavy rain! (I'm unsure how long that feeling will last when it happens though! :lol: )

:D :lol: I totally agree!! Wyvis was my first munro too, an awesome place to start :clap:
Highart13
Mountaineer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland