walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Storr and Old Man of Storr

The Storr and Old Man of Storr

Postby RicKamila » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Route description: The Storr - ascent

Fionas included on this walk: The Storr

Date walked: 01/09/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a lovely morning in Portree on the Brigadoon boat cruise and a hearty lunch in the Granary, we headed back to the cottage, got changed and headed off for the walk we had been looking forward to most on this trip, The Storr. The weather was the best it had been all week as we parked in the lay-by and set off through the forest to see the Old Man up close.

The walk through the forest was great, there were lots of people around, we even saw a bloke coming back down in motorbike leathers and his helmet, and we felt a little out of place with our rucksacks and walking gear on, but we carried on and finally reached the gate that leads out to the Old Man.

Storr 1.jpg
The gate to heaven?

The views from here were stunning. Raasay and Rona were clearly visible, as was the mainland.

Storr 2.jpg
Raasay, Rona and the mainland.

Storr 3.jpg
Rocks everywhere.

Storr 4.jpg
Applecross way.

We past the Old Man and Needle Rock and went off the path to the Lochan near the Needle. The views were getting better. We sat down for a drink and two large black birds with sharp talons put on a diving display in front of us, one even did a back flip of sorts.

Storr 5.jpg
A lochan near Needle Rock.

Storr 6.jpg
Old Man and Needle Rock.

We made our way back to the path and reached the fence with the broken stile. Its easily climbed though by climbing over the boulders, or making your way up to the last fence post by the rocks and there is a gap you can pass through before heading down to the track again.

We stopped and admired the view again, this time towards Staffin and started to get the rush of adrenaline due to being back in the hills again.

Storr 7.jpg
Looking down on Loch Scamadal.

We followed the track, keeping to the lower path at the first fork, before branching off at the second fork and having a go at scrambling to get up to the first cliff edge. The views were amazing.

Storr 8.jpg
The higher we got, the better the photos.

Storr 9.jpg
The lochan again.

Storr 10.jpg
Staffin way.

With the adrenaline pumping even more, we made the decision not to continue with the planned walk we had, of going right around and coming down the gully with the stream, but making our way up to the highest cliff edge we could. We headed out towards a dry stream and eventually made our way up with a bit of scrambling to the 2nd highest plateau where the views literally took our breath away.

Storr 11.jpg
Wow!!

Storr 12.jpg
Double wow!!

After a quick drink and some more admiring of the view, we set back down again. There is a rusted metal fence post in line with the first cliff and we kept it in view most of the way down and found it quite an easy way back.We climbed back over the fence again and went up a small hill that juts out by the fence. The views were superb no matter where you went on this walk.

Storr 13.jpg
Heading back down again.

Storr 14.jpg
Looking at the cliffs from the hill near the broken stile.

We made our way back down and saw some more interesting walking attire, including an Italian in a kilt and a woman in heels. There were plenty of hitch-hikers around too, which reminded Rick of the two German backpackers who he gave a lift to the Storr on the Tuesday in the pouring rain and he hoped that had had as nice a time there as we did, so a big hello to Katherine and Toby from Munich if you happen to stumble across this.

We made our way back to the cottage and the day was made even more special as later that evening Rick proposed to Kamila and we are glad to say that she said Yes.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: The Storr and Old Man of Storr

Postby kw1980 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Youve got some amazing pictures of an unbelievable place, really enjoyed your report.

Oh and many congratulations on your engagement! :D
kw1980
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:1

Postby ndhudson » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:13 am

Congratulations...on both the hike and the engagement! :thumbup:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby morag1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:22 am

Congratulations Rick and Kamila - wishing you both all the best for the future :D

Just to say I am reading these reports with great interest as I am planning a trip to Skye next year - possibly three days so want to see and do as much as possible in that short time. The old man of Storr and the Fairy Pools are high on my list
morag1

Postby RicKamila » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:02 pm

morag1 wrote:Congratulations Rick and Kamila - wishing you both all the best for the future :D

Just to say I am reading these reports with great interest as I am planning a trip to Skye next year - possibly three days so want to see and do as much as possible in that short time. The old man of Storr and the Fairy Pools are high on my list

Thank you :)

We found that if you plan for two walks a day in a certain region of Skye then it is achievable. For example, you could do Fairy Glen around 9am and follow it up with The Old Man of Storr around 2:30pm and still have plenty of time to explore it. We had a ball there. Although we prefer being there later in September due to the amount of tourists at this time of the year.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:43 pm

That reminds me about the day I did that walk...nice memories...thank you for sharing the pictures and congratulations to the couple!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:56 pm

More great pics of a beautiful area there Rick and Kamila. Good to see the low level is now progressed to Grahams and another love story on walkhighlands, Paul and Helen are having more success than Cilla Black ever did :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby morag1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote: Paul and Helen are having more success than Cilla Black ever did

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
morag1

Postby RicKamila » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:59 pm

morag1 wrote:
Johnny Corbett wrote: Paul and Helen are having more success than Cilla Black ever did

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

:lol:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for posting all the reports from IOSkye - my favourite Scottish Island. Isn't it great, the "isle of the mist"?...

The first time I went to visit the Old Man I absolutely loved the area, the odd-shaped rocks, the cliffs... Every year, when we plan our Skye holidays, we always remember to include either The Storr or Quiraing in our schedule. And each time it's a different experience.
Just across the road, down from the bulk of the Storr, there is a great place for fossil lovers - Beareraig Bay:
isleofskye 176.JPG
The cliffs of Beareraig Bay
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby morag1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:47 pm

BlackPanther wrote: Beareraig Bay

Thanks for letting us know about this Black Panther :thumbup:

I have made up a little file on Skye and have recorded all the things I want to see and do, also a list of walks. Rick and Kamila's reports have been filed away, also your 5 reports from earlier in the year.
Our time there will be short, possible three days max so I am trying to plan things carefully to get the most out of our visit :D
morag1

Postby RicKamila » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:21 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Thanks for posting all the reports from IOSkye - my favourite Scottish Island. Isn't it great, the "isle of the mist"?...

The first time I went to visit the Old Man I absolutely loved the area, the odd-shaped rocks, the cliffs... Every year, when we plan our Skye holidays, we always remember to include either The Storr or Quiraing in our schedule. And each time it's a different experience.
Just across the road, down from the bulk of the Storr, there is a great place for fossil lovers - Beareraig Bay:
isleofskye 176.JPG

To get there, do you drive down the road to the dam at Storr Lochs?
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:27 am

RicKamila wrote:
BlackPanther wrote:Just across the road, down from the bulk of the Storr, there is a great place for fossil lovers - Beareraig Bay:
isleofskye 176.JPG

To get there, do you drive down the road to the dam at Storr Lochs?

We left the car at the car park for the Storr and walked down - it's only a short distance on a good track, and soon the Storr itself can be seen above you :lol: The path down the cliffs is narrow and steep and I guess it would be slippery when wet, but it's well worth the effort! Even though most fossils are too big to take with you :?
I have to find some time and post a proper report for this walk.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby ndhudson » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:48 am

BlackPanther wrote: Just across the road, down from the bulk of the Storr, there is a great place for fossil lovers - Beareraig Bay:
The attachment isleofskye 176.JPG is no longer available

Bearreraig Bay is wonderful. We actually did that walk on our first visit to Scotland a few years back...the kids, LOVED it! Definitely worth a visit...

BerreraigBay_Fossil.jpg
BerreraigBay_Violet.jpg
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby morag1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Didnt know you had kids Nicole, but Violet is gorgous and looks so happy to be in Scotland :D
morag1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland