walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Talaidh - the short way

Ben Talaidh - the short way

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Talaidh

Date walked: 29/07/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 6.31 km

Ascent: 650m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Talaidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hi everybody. This is my first walk report so bear with me.
I've wanted to climb Mull's lost Corbett for a while but as all our walks are done with my 9 year old in tow the long walk in via Glen Forsa didn't seem appropriate. So we decided the steep pull up from the South was better. :?
The day started well with beautiful weather (as we had had every day of our week on Mull :shock: ) and a sighting of a Sea Eagle in Glen More.

IMG_7365.JPG
Sea Eagle

We set off from the forestry track at the bend in the A849 NM642349.
After a short walk up the track we came upon a deer fence. Having read in various reports that this fence was broken I was somewhat disappointed to find it repaired and looking awkward to negotiate. Following a brief struggle and a dip in a muddy ditch on the far side of the fence the climb could begin.
The going low down was very uneven, steep, wet and covered with long vegetation.
Height was quickly gained however giving great views back over Glen More.

IMG_7376.JPG
Glen More

It was at this point that the a stile (mentioned in passing in some internet reports) was located.

IMG_7372.JPG
Stile

Not the best photo but the stile can be seen in the bottom right hand corner of the shot.

Given the hot weather it was a relief once the top of Maol nam Fiadh was gained and the remainder of the lovely grassy ridge to the summit was seen ahead.

IMG_7379.JPG
Ben Talaidh from Maol nam Fiadh

Great and straightforward walking to the top from here over grass.

IMG_7390.JPG
Nearly there!

IMG_7401.JPG
Summit photo

Great views from the top in several directions :-

IMG_7395.JPG
Ben More from Ben Talaidh

IMG_7396.JPG
Loch Ba and Loch na Keel

IMG_7393.JPG
Glen Forsa

IMG_7412.JPG
Hughie the westie enjoying the view

Having seen the stile on the way up we decided to head for it on the way down. We found that the ground wasn't quite as steep or uneven this way. It has to be said however that if it was wet the descent could have been done in a very fast time indeed!
We crossed the stile (NM636330) and made our way parallel to the Doir' a' Mhaim crossing a small tributary on the way back to the track. There is a vague wet path to follow which is in no way obvious from the forestry track but can be found quite easily by following the fire break behind the 2nd car parking spot on your left (NM641329) as you walk up the track.
So back to the car without seeing another soul, a fine hill bagged and a fitting way to round off a wonderful week on Mull.

Hopefully my first walk report is OK and contains the necessary info for those choosing to bag Ben Talaidh from the South to avoid an undignified scramble over the fence.
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Ben Talaidh - the short way

Postby malky_c » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:05 am

Enjoyed that :)

Went up the same way in February, and while it was great doing it in the last light, it's also nice to see the views properly too.

I'm sure it is a better walk from Glen Forsa or with some other hills, but I still enjoyed the out-and-back route on it.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Ben Talaidh - the short way

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:22 pm

If you could arrange the transport a full traverse over the top, perhaps from Loch Buie to Pennygown would be fantastic. A great Mull coast to coast.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland