walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby Kenny Monaghan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 24/09/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 753m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is without a doubt the best path in the Glen Lyon range, from the car park most of the way up is an excellent well kept path. Today was a good day for walking so we headed for The Brae of Foss car park arriving at 9.30am, we set off with Gary's Gordon Setter and were on the top for 11.05. The Gordon Setter (Coby), inadvertently done a great job of flushing out the birds much to my delight, that's my other hobby. As well as some stunning views we saw 1 black grouse, 3 red grouse and 7 ptarmigans, doesn't get any better than that.

We wasted a bit of time on the top taking in the views and having a bite to eat before heading back down, by the time we set off there were about a dozen people on the top and easly 3 dozen more heading up.

This is a good first hill for people wanting to try a munro, not too much of a climb and a great path most of the way.

Thats our last in the Glen Lyon range, this range as a whole was enjoyable, for the nature, the walking and I'd like to offer my personal vote of thanks to the people who manage the Meggernie Estate, you guys are doing a great service to those of us who love the countryside in the way you manage the paths roads and signage.
Last edited by Kenny Monaghan on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Monaghan
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Schiehallion

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:15 am

This is a good hill to start with though be aware when you reach the boulders where the path ends and in bad weather navigation could be difficult both getiing to the summit and retracing your steps back to the path.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland