walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn William - NJ655132

Cairn William - NJ655132

Postby taylor94 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn William

Date walked: 05/10/2011

Time taken: 2.3 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 448m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Elevation - 1'469
Location - Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Category - Sub2000's

After a hard weekend at Mount Battock i decided to shake my legs of a bit with a sub2000 that was close by. Looking near Bennachie I noticed there were a few mountains pretty much right next to it.

I had a look at a few and decided to chose Cairn William. I packed my bag with the essentials and set of in the morning.

I got dropped of in Inverurie and got the bus out to Monymusk. The walk from Monymusk to the bottem of the mountain was not far maybe a mile or two at the most.

I headed up the mountain and things got slightly interesting.

All the mountains I had climbed I had been with my partner and this time I was on my own. As I started to walk to the summit path I started to feel a strange feel of lonelyness. Not a typical kind of lonelyness but a really desperate lonely. My partner was working but usually she phones me on her lunch for a while and we talk then she goes back. My signal was gone and it was nearing that time when she would call and I was hoping I wouldn't miss it so I had somebody to talk to.

I reached the bottem of the summit path which looked fairly easy to climb and i got my signal and I had a big sigh of releif. While on the phone I had my stove on with my water where I was cooking some long grain rice for my dinner and while talking half way through the cooking of the rice the pot fell and the water poured out and I had to eat it or leave it. There was no other water to spare and even if they were I would have to boil the water all over again.

With slight hesitation I ate my slightly hard rice and after a few forkfulls I got use to it and it didn't taste that bad.

After my debateable lunch I started to accend to the summit. The weather was nice not to warm, a slight breeze to cool me down and slight showers of very light rain which was perfect.

I reached the very open summit and felt the blast of the wind. I was struggling to even keep standing as the weight of my rucksack pulled me in the wind. I sat down to tuck into a twix bar and then headed home.

Overall it was a good experience and I needed my endurance as my legs were still recovering from Mount Battock.

Heading home I held my head high proud that I managed to keep going even when I was really tired.

Great mountain to start off mountaineering.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

taylor94

Re: Cairn William - NJ655132

Postby Ladylou2 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks for adding this one Taylor94. I am always looking for shorter local winter walks to keep the legs going and I haven't looked at this hill before - will have to venture up soon. :)
Ladylou2
Hill Bagger

Munros:129   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland