walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Binnien from the south

Stob Binnien from the south

Postby pigeon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Binnein

Date walked: 08/10/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.1 km

Ascent: 1061m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Plan today was to tackle stob binnien and ben more,so myself Ian ,Jim and Jake set of from Inverlochlarig at quarter to 8 ,over the stile and straight up the steep hillside,no gentle walk in from here :? It was steep sure enough but we made quick progress and once up to stob invercarnaig the path improved and levelled out ,it was here we came to the decision to leave ben more for another day.The forecast was spot on ,the cloud was never going to lift and it would have been a shame to put in a big effort to get to ben more and see nowt.So on we trudged to stob binnien,we were in good spirits even though it was windy and wet and a few patches of snow were lying about so jake got to chase his first snowballs of the year.Made the top in 2 hours 20,took the pics and headed back the way we came and had our soup in the shelter at the car park ,after ian had took a header over the stile :( All in all enjoyed the day even though we were soaked yet again,felt much better than last week ,maybe starting to get the hang of this hill walking lark :lol: Today's customary post walk pint was in the rob roy bar in balquidder :DBen More pencilled in for next week if the weather is decent :thumbup:Pictures are not great ,new camera has been put on the christmas list!
001.JPG
starting stile
003.JPG
before we hit the clag
009.JPG
heading into the gloom
011.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
a bit of shelter on stob coire an lochan
014.JPG
at the final pull up to the summit
017.JPG
top of stob binnien
016.JPG
big jim
019.JPG
ian an jake
022.JPG
inverlochlarig soup kitchen
026.JPG
today's customary pint venue
024.JPG
Rob Roy's heid
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by pigeon on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Stob Binnien from the south

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Ah well, at least you ventured out and enjoyed it :D Stayed at home again as I decided I want to see a bit more the next time I'm out - which is now looking a good few weeks away due being away for the shool holidays :( Hope you get better weather for Ben More 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Ian Bayne » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:13 pm

good day out pigeon getting used to getting wet badly bruised my shoulder giving me gip be allright for saturday ibrufen and beer later
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:03 pm

You're some man Pigeon! Another adventure in the rain with your trusty pals :D

Is it wrong that I quickly scrolled through your photos to see if there was one of your mate head first in the mud???!!!

Stiles can be such slippery little devils!!! :(

Great to see your camping stove is still getting put to good use, bet your soup tasted fab!

NB when you tackle Ben More dont go straight up, cut across to the bealach. We met people at the summit who had gone the hard way and they were totally done in!!! :(
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Cheers Rockhopper and thanks for the advice Polly,we never fancied Ben More from the Crianlarich side, that was why we started at the other end on Saturday but looks like the hard way for us now :( Hope we don't make it a hat trick of soakings :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm

pigeon wrote:Cheers Rockhopper and thanks for the advice Polly,we never fancied Ben More from the Crianlarich side

Quite agree - either approach from Crianlarich looks poor. Shame about the Stob Binnein climb - that route is great on a good day.

I'd recommend the NE ridge of Ben More - done it a few times and enjoyed it every time. 8)
kinley

Postby pigeon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Cheers Kinley your" stob binnien from rob roy country" report is a cracker,think i'd be scared to drive along that road in winter though :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:33 pm

pigeon wrote:Cheers Kinley your" stob binnien from rob roy country" report is a cracker,think i'd be scared to drive along that road in winter though :lol:

Try the Loch Arkaig road in winter - everything else will seem much easier ;)
kinley

Postby pigeon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:16 pm

kinley wrote:
pigeon wrote:Cheers Kinley your" stob binnien from rob roy country" report is a cracker,think i'd be scared to drive along that road in winter though :lol:

Try the Loch Arkaig road in winter - everything else will seem much easier ;)
Got stuck on he Lawers road once ,don't fancy that again :(
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland