walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shropshire Hills: The Long Mynd, Caer Caradoc

Shropshire Hills: The Long Mynd, Caer Caradoc

Postby poppiesrara » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:14 am

Date walked: 30/10/2011

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 820m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A lovely autumn day for two striking walks on the hills around Church Stretton, in the heart of the Shropshire Hills.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Long Mynd seems very popular walking country, and the busy carparks in the Carding Mill Valley below testify to that. Once climbing steeply out of the hubbub below though, this is a beautiful steep-sided gorge, with numerous tempting paths heading (often implausibly steeply) up the hills on either side of the main track. Once past the stiffest part, you walk out onto a vast heathery plateau, stretching flat miles north and south. The 516m summit at Pole Bank, although only a gentle rise, is quite clear from a long way out, and the views from there – aided by a toposcope – extensive even with cloud blocking out the Welsh mountains.
1 Looking back down Carding Mill Valley.jpg
Looking back down Carding Mill Valley

2 Stiperstones behind ponies on the Long Mynd.jpg
Stiperstones behind ponies on the Long Mynd

3 Ascending to Pole Bank on the summit plateau.jpg
Ascending to Pole Bank on the summit plateau

4 View NW from Pole Bank.jpg
View NW from Pole Bank

5 Caer Caradoc from Pole Bank.jpg
Caer Caradoc from Pole Bank

After more easy walking east, descending through Townbrook Valley, with the jagged Devil’s Mouth peak above (looking quite daunting until you catch sight of the carpark a few yards from the top!), is probably even better than the ascent, quieter and on quite a challenging rocky little path. This was a short but highly recommended little route, pleasant walking and lovely contrasts of scenery.
6 Devil's Mouth over Townbrook Valley.jpg
Devil's Mouth over Townbrook Valley

7 Townbrook Valley.jpg
Townbrook Valley

8 Descending back to Carding Mill Valley.jpg
Descending back to Carding Mill Valley

Caer Caradoc Hill, just a few miles away, is a very different sort of hill – only 459m, but with its universally steep sides and defined rocky summit ridge, having the feel of a much higher mountain. This should have been a short afternoon walk, but was extended rather (along the busy A road) this day by the inexplicable cordoning off of the layby by the starting footpath…

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A clear and nicely-graded path heads up the west flank of the hill from the farmland below, before turning south and steepening dramatically; some muddy ‘steps’ have been half-cut or worn into the generally grassy slope, but still this would feel quite a challenge in wetter conditions, with nothing at all to arrest the slide down after any slip… You emerge quite breathless and a little relieved into Caer Caradoc’s rocky summit area.
9 Ascent path on flank of Caer Caradoc.jpg
Ascent path on flank of Caer Caradoc

10 Little Caradoc & the Lawley, the Wrekin in distance.jpg
Little Caradoc & the Lawley, the Wrekin in distance

11 The Long Mynd from Caer Caradoc summit.jpg
The Long Mynd from Caer Caradoc summit

12 View north from Caer Caradoc, the Lawley in sunshine.jpg
View north from Caer Caradoc, the Lawley in sunshine

It’s a very enjoyable walk south along the close-cropped ridge before another very steep descent leads back to the western flanking path – quite little-used at this end, very narrow and quite exposed in places as it clings precariously to the side of the hill, and rather more of a challenge than might be expected.
13 Willstone Hill & Clee Hills on horizon from Caer Caradoc.jpg
Willstone Hill & Clee Hills on horizon from Caer Caradoc

14 Caer Caradoc south ridge.jpg
Caer Caradoc south ridge

15 Three Fingers Rock.jpg
Three Fingers Rock

16 Hope Bowdler Hill.jpg
Hope Bowdler Hill

17 Northern Long Mynd behind All Stretton.jpg
Northern Long Mynd behind All Stretton

18 Caer Caradoc south ridge.jpg
Caer Caradoc south ridge

This was great walking territory for days when conditions might keep you off the higher hills; very well worth a visit.
Attachments
19 Caer Caradoc.jpg
Caer Caradoc
Last edited by poppiesrara on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Shropshire Hills: The Long Mynd, Caer Caradoc

Postby ChrisW » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 am

Two real beauties there P, I've never managed a wander in the Shropshire hills and now I feel like I'm missing out :D the paths don't look over worn, particularly on that second walk.......that's my kind of location :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby malky_c » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:52 pm

This looks reasonably interesting :)

Never walked here before, only whizzed by in the car, but it is on the 'to do' list now, as I am currently living close by.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby john923 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Nice pics, P. Yes, there's some good walking in Shropshire and it's quite handy for us. The route up to The Long Mynd via Ashes Hollow, starting from Little Stretton, is a worth a go. :)
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby poppiesrara » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks all. Hopefully posting these 'low-level' reports will at least inspire someone to give them a try! Seems to be plenty of good hill-walking in Shropshire for days when the weather (or distance) is a bit too much for elsewhere...
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm

A place I have never been to so thanks for the report and pics. The area looks very similar to the landscape on the North York Moors.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby smirnie71 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:28 pm

Fantastic reports and just down the road from where I live. I've spent many happy hours both on the Long Mynd and Caer Caradoc and completely agree, the latter definitely has more of a mountain feel about it and the view are inspiring. My favourite place in Shropshire though it can be busy, is the Stiperstones. Brooding Tors, views across to Snowdonia, interesting stony path underfoot, many myths and legends. Perfect on a late summer evening with a stove to make a brew sitting by the trig point on Manstone Rock. I recommends it I do! :D :D :D
Stiperstones 13 Jun (7).JPG
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Postby clivegrif » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Nice one Poppiesrara! Have spent many a happy hour up on the Mynd, good to see it on here.

I did try in vain to plant a couple of beehives to collect Heather Honey not far from where you photographed the horses, but the National Trust thought the bees would attack the walkers....

Look forward to your next posting :D
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland