walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Life's a Beach (at Elgol!)

Life's a Beach (at Elgol!)

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Date walked: 10/10/2011

Distance: 0.5 km

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I make no apology for this report being, probably, about one of the shortest walks recorded here. In terms of difficulty and effort, it was significant.

Managing to actually get onto the beach at Elgol was a logistic triumph! Why? Being ambulant disabled with severe osteoarthritis meant every step on the beach had to be carefully assessed before the next one taken :D

We parked in the car park by the jetty, walked back down the road near the school and down a steepish slope to the beach. So far, so good! Those of you who've been to Elgol will know that even the able bodied can find it tricky walking over the pebbles. I watched some of them trying to walk along the beach, wobbling and tripping as they went :lol:

DSC_0014a.jpg
Pebbles

My husband (Jeff) carried the camera as I had to concentrate on negotiating the assault course in front of me. Before taking any step I had to find flat, stable pebbles on either side of me to place my sticks on, then, once balanced, step forward onto another flat, stable and larger pebble for me to stand on! Don't ask how long this took as I don't know but, it seemed forever, particularly when I and my sticks became entangled in the line of seaweed :lol: Jeff found a large flat rock conveniently placed that I could sit on and take photos from. For most photographers, they can choose their ideal site for taking the views they want but, for me, its making the most of where I can actually reach :lol:

DSC_0011a.jpg

The main attraction was, of course, the Cuillin :D
DSC_0002.JPG

Cuillins3.jpg
Cuillin

But the sea was making waves as well :lol:

Waves1.jpg

Waves2.jpg

Waves3.jpg

And a bit of a splash
Waves4.jpg

But the tide was coming in and each new set of waves was getting ever closer

DSC_0101.JPG

It was time to head back to the car. After stumbling over the pebbles, because I'd got very stiff from sitting, I was just getting in to the swing of things when we reached the car park :D As we got into our car, several people alighted from the two cars next to us armed with cameras, tripods etc. and headed off down to the beach. The cloud had come over by this time and it was still a couple of hours at least until sunset. Would they be rewarded?

I hope they stayed as I took this by our holiday cottage later :thumbup:

sunset over cuillin.jpg
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Re: Life's a Beach (at Elgol!)

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Suzie baby!!! Penshioner???

Your photos are amazing!!!! I could never achieve anything of that standard :shock:

Glad you got back to the car in one piece. There's been a fair amount of slipping and sliding in reports recently, so don't go mad and start walking over slippery stones, ooops too late, you already have!!! :lol:

Great stuff X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Great view of the Cuillins there Susie and well done on venturing out. But stop teasing me with these fantastic photos !!!!

Seriously can't wait for this kind of view in person. Infact I'd prefer the close up view, like on the ridge itself :lol: ?
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:09 pm

SouthernUplandKing wrote:Great view of the Cuillins there Susie and well done on venturing out. But stop teasing me with these fantastic photos !!!! They look dark and menacing in the photo's !

Seriously can't wait for this kind of view in person. Infact I'd prefer the close up view, like on the ridge itself :lol: ?
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:11 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Suzie baby!!! Penshioner???
Sadly, I'm old enough to get my state pension but am still managing to work full time!! :lol:
pollyh33 wrote:Your photos are amazing!!!! I could never achieve anything of that standard

Thank you. But Polly, I've seen your excellent photos and also, enjoy reading your witty reports x
SusieThePensioner

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:14 pm

SouthernUplandKing wrote:Great view of the Cuillins there Susie and well done on venturing out. But stop teasing me with these fantastic photos !!!!

Seriously can't wait for this kind of view in person. Infact I'd prefer the close up view, like on the ridge itself ?

Thank you. You keep up all your training and May will soon be here. I'm expecting great photos from you!! :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:
SouthernUplandKing wrote:Great view of the Cuillins there Susie and well done on venturing out. But stop teasing me with these fantastic photos !!!!

Seriously can't wait for this kind of view in person. Infact I'd prefer the close up view, like on the ridge itself ?

Thank you. You keep up all your training and May will soon be here. I'm expecting great photos from you!! :D

Yeah, hopefully it should fly in. Time too get the running started back up and get the piggy bank out for savings :lol:

And dont worry, I'll be taking plenty photo's :D
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby MarilynMunro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:58 pm

Well done Susie, some inspirational stuff there, your strength and determination, and I hope you really do take as much enjoyment from your photos as I certainly do.
The views you captured are stunning.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Torridon_snails » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:43 pm

More fantastic photos! So glad you got these views - some reward for the effort in getting there. Thanks for sharing them with us.

All the best,

Daniel and Clare
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Great effort Susie and some beautiful photos as a reward, love that sunset :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:02 pm

My friend from Elgol says the view from Elgol is one of the best in Europe - and you've captured it beautifully! :thumbup:

Well done on managing the stony beach. Having a mum with osteo arthritis I know what an achievement that is! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby fazerneil » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:10 pm

You may not have felt you could get to ideal spot to sit but I think you found it anyway, some very good photographs, especially with the time lapse on the waves and looks a lovely beach for combing :)
fazerneil
Rambler

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:30   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:26 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:Well done Susie, some inspirational stuff there, your strength and determination, and I hope you really do take as much enjoyment from your photos as I certainly do.
The views you captured are stunning.

Thanks for that. I've always loved the Cuillin ever since I learnt about them at school and, being a geographer, I never get tired of looking at them :lol:
I'm in the process of doing my own website, probably for my own vanity, as having seen other people's landscape photography websites (not any links on here) I think some of my photos are just as good! :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Torridon_snails wrote:More fantastic photos! So glad you got these views - some reward for the effort in getting there. Thanks for sharing them with us.

All the best,

Daniel and Clare

Thank you, always pleased to hear from you :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:32 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great effort Susie and some beautiful photos as a reward, love that sunset

Thank you. There was an even better sunset a few days later :D
Hebridean sunset.jpg

DSC_0062a.jpg
SusieThePensioner

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland