walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Travelling Back For My Lyon's Share

Travelling Back For My Lyon's Share

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 30/10/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my failed attempt, on the previous Monday, to gain entry onto these hills via the Chesthill Estate I returned armed with two very positive influences. Firstly on the Saturday I phoned the estate office and a very nice lady said I would be very welcome in Invervar and thanked me for taking heed of the notices warning of deer stalking ( I didn't think I had a choice!!!) and secondly I would not be alone my husband Garry would be joining me on this one- yippee!!!

After a rather disturbed sleep due to my fellow Ruglonians deciding to celebrate the clocks going back by letting off an awful lot of fireworks (don't know why they couldn't just stick to Devil worship like the good old days! :evil: ), we managed to get ourselves organised and on the road by 7am. We followed the same roads as before, yes through Buchany but this time the curtains were already open! I told Garry to drive faster but he didn't listen!!! :(

We arrived at an empty carpark at 9am and got away pretty sharpish. The weather was lovely, so just boots and gaiters, no jackets and waterproofs- fantastic! A quick look at the map and we headed through the gate opposite the carpark- ooops wrong one- private house! The correct one is opposite the red phonebox and is a big metal fence type of gate and is tricky to open.
IMG_1837.JPG

Up through a small wooded area and through another two similar gates.

IMG_1838.JPG
What is this wee beast? Stretch says its an ATV?

After a short while the track crosses a wooden bridge and the views begin to open up a wee bit. Instead of continuing along the track we climbed up a steep, slippery slope to find somewhere for a quick coffee. The sun was out so we thought we may as well enjoy it.
IMG_1841.JPG

Looking down the track we could see another two bodies coming along and it was good to know we would have someone to chat to later. We followed the hill round until it met the path again and dropped down to cross the shooglie bridge.
IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

The path pretty much follows the Invervar Burn all the way to some grassy slopes and then up onto the ridge.
IMG_1844.JPG

It was on the final pull up towards the summit of Carn Gorm that the sun disappeared and was replaced by damp, misty clag :(

It was fab to reach our first summit of the day and our chance to talk to the two boys we had seen earlier. Really nice guys and after a quick discussion about routes, weather etc they continued on their way.
IMG_1845.JPG

We were now feeling a bit cold, so it was on with the jackets, hats and gloves, a quick sandwich and then we were off in search of summit number two. Because the weather had been so fab earlier it was our intention to take in An Sgorr also but we changed our mind with the visibility getting increasingly worse. Its a shame because it would only have been a slight detour. Anyway we opted for the path that goes around it and came to the col on left side and for once I actually noticed the cairn that confirmed that we were heading in the right direction. Things were clearing up again and we could see the line of rusted fenceposts ahead of us. We followed them over some boulders , okay maybe more like big stones, and through the mist we could see the weirdest summit cairn I have seen yet!!! Yes the piece of modern art is the summit of Meall Garbh!
IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

They may look ugly to some, but these fence post were our wee pals as they guided us safely along to another cairn on the summit (?) of Meal a' Bharr. The wind was working itself up a fair bit so a quick photo of a rather cold Garry and then we were off again. :D
IMG_1850.JPG

Keeping with the fenceposts we headed onwards towards Carn Mairg and as a wee thankyou for not complaining too much about the conditions the weather gods decided to give us a 10 minute sunshine break. We looked up to see gorgeous blue sky and drank in the fabulous views before us. 'Wowsers there's Schiehallion!' I thought (cheers Kev for confirming this- correct spelling this time?)
IMG_1851.JPG

Like many magic moments they can't last for forever and soon our views were replaced once again by clag, but not before we could see the mega rocky ridge type of structure that lay between us and our next summit. Fortunately the path kindly took us very safely around this beast and with only a slight ascent we were almost upon the top of Carn Mairg. It was here that we met up again with the two boys from earlier. They asked if we had met the other walkers that they had seen doing the horseshoe in a counter-clockwise direction but we had seen no-one else. We had seen lots of bootprints pointing in the opposite way from ours but I just assumed they had put their boots on the wrong way :lol:

The weather was pretty crappy but I had to stop long enough for a quick kiss of the cairn and a photo of Number 50! And a warm congratulations from Garry too !!! :wink:
IMG_1852.JPG

Treated myself to one of the white rocks as a wee momento and then off to seek out Meall nan Aighean (Creag Mhor) or summit number 4 as we opted to call it! :? The descent down is not very steep but it is tricky over the slippery stones so as usual I took my time. No rush to get a sore behind! We headed South along a pretty good path until we reached a crossroads of many paths, it was like Spaghetti Junction, and took one that led us to the top. Garry was ahead, as usual,
(my wee stumpy legs are no match his long lean machines!) and he searched around for the cairn. He soon found it atop one of the tors on the summit.
IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

It was good fun exploring these big lumps but we realised that we would need to head back soon. All this wandering about had caused us to lose our ascent/ descent path, we checked on our GPS that we were heading in the correct Westerly direction and continued confident that we would eventually meet a path. We were walking for about 20 minutes and still no path! This was really unfortunate timing because for a good bit of the walk you're walking in troughs deep enough to develop trenchfoot :lol:

I was beginning to panic a wee bit but Garry was smashing and agreed that as long as we kept losing height and using the compass and GPS we would be fine. By now it was about 16.15 and it was getting dark, ironically this was to be a help because car lights began to come on and we could clearly see them going along the road and even better the lights in the estate house indicated that we were nearly finished. All that was required was a swift, but steep descent down the heathery slopes and soon we were back on the tarmac!!! Double yippee!!! :D :D As we walked the 0.5km back we discussed about how daft we were to lose the path and how crazy it was to still be out and about when it was dark. Needless to say we were shocked when we got back to the carpark to find that alongside our car (which I had visualised sitting there all on its ownsome) were three other cars!!! :shock: Where on earth were all these people? I was really worried about the two boys because they had a good 10 minute start on us at the third summit and they didn't look the type to be larking about! A few minutes later I could hear voices and could see head torches coming towards us. 'That's the boys now, thank goodness' I said. 'No its not' said Garry. He had asked them earlier and they said they didn't have them. Drat! Anyway a quick chat with the illuminated couple and they said they hadn't seen them either! I was wondering how long we should wait until we phoned someone and then at last the boys appeared :D They couldn't find a path either!

Given that it was only 5pm, it felt like a lot later, we had plenty of time to stop off for some refreshments and still be back in time for Downton Abbey :D And so where did we go??? The Lade Inn of course :D All this path losing/hunting/losing again had made me hungry! No soup this time- a gigantic plate of fish and chips!!!
IMG_0653.JPG

Yummy !!!
Last edited by pollyh33 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Travelling Back For My Lyon's Share

Postby Stretch » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Congrats on your 50th Polly! That is an amphibious atv you saw. Part off-road vehicle, part boat.

Great fun down in the swamps of Florida where I grew up!

Amphibious Atv.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby jstalker66621 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:04 am

Well done on passing the fifty Polly (time for a Muriel Grey type book now). Spooky or what, but my fiftieth was also on Carn Mairg....I had to do the entire traverse with a busted rucksack after one of the straps pulled out of the main body...my mate Mark did an impromptu repair on it whilst we were still trudging up the first slope!!!

Here are the few pics I took that day 2 years (and a few pounds) ago...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1152802347169.2024228.1440975916&type=1&l=7934fcc93a
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

Postby rockhopper » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 am

Well done on no. 50 :clap: Think I made the same initial gate mistake as you and went up the private path - pity about the weather but, believe it or not, you still got more views than me 8) cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:09 am

50 is the probably the first Munro "landmark" so congrats :D . Dinnae worry about finishing in the dark or other cars still in the carpark - the dark heightens your other senses and life is too short about some other poor sod getting lost :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:13 am

Nice one Polly
Could have used Stretch's amphibi-bus on the Lammermuirs last week.
Great narrative as usual, and good to see photies of hills done decades ago when I rarely thought of taking a camera....oh hindsight. Well done on your 50th -
pollyh33 wrote:No soup this time- a gigantic plate of fish and chips!!!

you guys certainly know how to celebrate :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:29 am

jstalker66621 wrote:Well done on passing the fifty Polly (time for a Muriel Grey type book now). Spooky or what, but my fiftieth was also on Carn Mairg....I had to do the entire traverse with a busted rucksack after one of the straps pulled out of the main body...my mate Mark did an impromptu repair on it whilst we were still trudging up the first slope!!!

Here are the few pics I took that day 2 years (and a few pounds) ago...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1152802347169.2024228.1440975916&type=1&l=7934fcc93a

Oh that is strange :o Maybe we could start a splinter group :lol:

You photos are hysterical! Is your mate mentally sound??? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:32 am

rockhopper wrote:Well done on no. 50 :clap: Think I made the same initial gate mistake as you and went up the private path - pity about the weather but, believe it or not, you still got more views than me 8) cheers

Thanks Rocky,

You would think the owners would paint a big sign saying 'Not this way, ya big eejits!!!' :?

I'd probably still miss it!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:35 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:50 is the probably the first Munro "landmark" so congrats :D . Dinnae worry about finishing in the dark or other cars still in the carpark - the dark heightens your other senses and life is too short about some other poor sod getting lost :lol: .

Thanks Leithy,

You're right of course- again :D

Note to self though, don't spend time exploring interesting features when the days are so short!!! :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:46 am

Scotjamie wrote:Nice one Polly
Could have used Stretch's amphibi-bus on the Lammermuirs last week.
Great narrative as usual, and good to see photies of hills done decades ago when I rarely thought of taking a camera....oh hindsight. Well done on your 50th -
pollyh33 wrote:No soup this time- a gigantic plate of fish and chips!!!

you guys certainly know how to celebrate :)

Thanks SJ.

Oh I think, going by the standard of photies on this forum, that a top notch camera and the ability to use it, are an essential part of your kit. Three guesses what I'm asking from Santa? :D

The fish and chips were fantastic, too much for me though, I had to leave about a third of mine :(

PS Soggy stuff in the Lammermuirs?
pollyh33
Walker

Postby jstalker66621 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:48 am

pollyh33 wrote:

Mark has the strangest ability to look mentally challenging whenever the camera is pointed in his direction...and is the worlds worst technophobe EVER...hence only two pics of me :D

Hahaha a splinter group indeed!!
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:55 am

jstalker66621 wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:

Mark has the strangest ability to look mentally challenging whenever the camera is pointed in his direction...and is the worlds worst technophobe EVER...hence only two pics of me :D

Hahaha a splinter group indeed!!

Oh good! Hope that means he won't be able to fire up a PC and see my cheeky comment :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby jstalker66621 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:13 am

Absolutely no chance...it's taking him all his time to find his way around FB after two years on it...he has no chance of working out how a forum operates!!
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:08 am

Great stuff Polly, you are a Munro superstar :clap: how long before the next 50? :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby kevsbald » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:13 am

Bien fait - what a rate you've done this last 30 in. The 100 beckons next year at that progress.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland