walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav (almost)

Ben Starav (almost)

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav

Date walked: 06/11/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15.3 km

Ascent: 1244m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Haven’t put in a walk report for a while. Been away on my travels in Canada over the summer and the weather hasn’t been that inspiring since my return. But I wanted to try out my latest my acquisition – a one person campervan. So after a brilliant day on Ben A’Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair I headed up to the Kingshouse and met Katie out the back. After putting up her tent we had dinner and then popped in to the hotel for a pint and a game of Scrabble. It was all very quiet apart from a large party celebrating something or other in the dining room.

At about 7am I sent Katie a text to say that I was putting the kettle on. Disaster! The gas had run out! So in she comes in her down jacket out of the frosty morning and no tea! So it was back to the hotel for a coffee in front of the fire.

Then off down Glen Etive to tackle Ben Starav. There were already quite a few cars parked in various places at the side of the road but I spotted a space that was just big enough. Whilst preparing to reverse into it some ******* came down the road and nipped in to the space. If you are reading this – thanks very much. As Katie said later some people just need manners. But we managed to find a place a bit further on and set off back up the road to the footpath that leads down to the bridge.

All went swimmingly until we reached Coileitir and then the mud bath began. We reached the burn and crossed without too much difficulty – although Katie did manage to get tangled up in a tree.
DSCN0785.JPG
Then we headed up along side the burn – very muddy in the lower parts but much better higher up - til we reached the bealach. The sun picked out the hills and gradually crept up the glen behind us
DSCN0787.JPG
until we emerged into bright sunshine on the ridge for a bit of a sit down and a little something. No tea though due to the aforesaid lack of gas.
DSCN0789.JPG

The next steep section brought us to the narrow rocky ridge where I tried to stick to the ridge line while Katie took the lower path and met me at the end for the final push up to the summit of Ben Starav. To be honest we didn’t go to the summit. The cloud came in and we had already ticked Ben Starav a few years ago. Our plan was to descend the south west ridge to Loch Etive so we cut the corner and continued on our way. The undulating ridge was great with views down Loch Etive
DSCN0792.JPG
DSCN0793.JPG
but the descent was truly awful – wet slabs, heather, bog, mud, you name it, we walked –or perhaps slithered would be a more accurate description - through it. We were very grateful to reach the shore of the loch – wonderful seaweedy smells.
DSCN0795.JPG
The descent had really slowed us down so the sun was setting as we walked along the track by the edge of the loch. The mountains behind us were silhouetted against the sky
DSCN0798.JPG
whereas those in front were lit up by the last rays of the sun.
DSCN0803.JPG

The path deteriorated again and we paddled along to the bridge over the Allt Mheuran. By this time Katie was treating the expedition as a cross country race and I chugged along behind putting in the odd sprint to catch up. The moon was just emerging over the hills behind us as we reached the van. Then back to the Kingshouse for Katie’s tent and back home.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland