walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 06/11/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 731m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With my walking partner Del having been abusing the Rum in The Bahamas for a fortnight, a short easy ascent was the order of the day. I had been saving redoing Schiehallion for a crisp clear day to make up for the lack of views we had when the good lady and I did it last summer. So with the sooperb forecast for Sunday, it was an easy decision to make.

It was a slow drive through the fog to The Braes of Foss, but worth every minute of it, as we knew this had the makings of a memorable day, and what a day. From the start the views were great, Schiehallion itself looking majestic in the early morning sun that was rising above the adjacent hills.
DSC_0025.JPG
Schiehallion
DSC_0026.JPG
Sun makes an appearance

The path is straightforward and with the high level start we were soon getting views to the distant inversion over The Tummel and to Beinn a'Ghlo, and closer to home the autumn colours were glowing in the sunshine, and to the South more low cloud over Loch Tay 8)
DSC_0033.JPG
Loch Tummel & Beinn a'Ghlo
DSC_0040.JPG
Autumn in all it's glory
DSC_0050.JPG
Loch Tay inversion

Higher still, and the inversions were looking even more spectacular 8) I've only ever witnessed an inversion once before, and that was on Ben Lomond, stupidly I'd forgotten the camera, so this was making up for it just nicely 8)
DSC_0057.JPG
Tummel Forest
DSC_0058.JPG
Tay
DSC_0061.JPG
Tay2

Once we'd finished drinking in the views, we remembered we had a summit to get to and headed up to the start of the boulderfield whewere met 3 lads on their way down, all 5 of us grinning like Cheshire cats 8) We got to the shelter cairn where we sat for breakfast and got an extra layer and gloves on. The gloves would become much needed as we clambered our way over the larger boulders higher up as they had a good covering of frost on them, and care was needed here. Eventually we made it to the summit cairn with views over the Lawers range to the South, Lochan an Daim just North of the summit, but again it was the cloud inversions that were the eye candy for today
DSC_0075.JPG
Summit from shelter
DSC_0086.JPG
More inversion!!
DSC_0092.JPG
Summit snap
DSC_0094.JPG
Lochan an Daim
DSC_0098.JPG
Loch Rannoch

After slowly and carefully negotiating the boulders on the descent, it was an easy walk back to the carpark, which by now was overflowing. It was great to see and have brief chats with so many people on a cold November morning, and I'm sure everyone of them had as fantastic a day as wee did 8) :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Schiehallion

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:23 pm

What a fantastic day......just great to be out walking. We had weather like that down here as well! Loved the report and photos, have you got the filters yet? :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:11 pm

It was a fab day Susie :D Did you get out anywhere yourself? We got the filters, had a wee play about with them on this walk :)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby kinley » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Inversion and blue skies....what more can you ask.

Excellent. Bet you could see a lot of hills from Schiehallion on Sunday. 8)
kinley

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Dave,

Your photographs are getting better and better. Your jotter must be full of gold stars by now :D

Once I get this recent run of rubbish shifts out of the way I'll be back on the hills. I'll never manage anything of your calibre though :(

P X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Jabber » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 pm

You had a top day there. It was a great day to out on the hills. I went west and the clouds were a little more in evidence although that just added to the spectacular views. Your phots are superb1
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:It was a fab day Susie Did you get out anywhere yourself? We got the filters, had a wee play about with them on this walk

Thought as much, you can see a lot of detail in the sky as well as the land. Particularly like the Tummel Forest one :thumbup:

We went for a drive up on the North Pennines in our elder daughter's MGB roadster; fantastic views, could see the Solway as well as the Lake District :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Milesy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:01 pm

kinley wrote:Inversion and blue skies....what more can you ask.

I have never been able to see Schiehallion from anywhere.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:02 am

Sadly the views to the West weren't overly great, seemed to be more high level cloud that way. Can't complain though!

pollyh33 wrote:Dave,

Your photographs are getting better and better. Your jotter must be full of gold stars by now :D

Once I get this recent run of rubbish shifts out of the way I'll be back on the hills. I'll never manage anything of your calibre though :(

P X

Cheers Pauline!! If I can take a half decent photo anyone can, though it would have been hard not to get a few decent ones on a day like this 8) Sure makes up for all those days in the clouds :D

Jabber wrote:You had a top day there. It was a great day to out on the hills. I went west and the clouds were a little more in evidence although that just added to the spectacular views. Your phots are superb1

It sure was a top day Jabber, the cloud out West was slightly spoiling our view though :lol:

SusieThePensioner wrote:Thought as much, you can see a lot of detail in the sky as well as the land. Particularly like the Tummel Forest one :thumbup:

We went for a drive up on the North Pennines in our elder daughter's MGB roadster; fantastic views, could see the Solway as well as the Lake District :D

Yeah the Tummel Forest one is my favourite too Susie. Would have been a nice drive in the roadster on a day like that 8) especially with views to the Solway & Lake District :D

Milesy wrote:

I have never been able to see Schiehallion from anywhere.

It's one of those elusive hills aint it? :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 am

It was a great weekend - north/south split in our favour for once 8) Lovely autumn colours and inversion shots - a great day - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:36 am

Great stuff LW, you are really getting the hang of that DSLR now, some beautiful shots of a fantastic sunny day in the hills :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:14 am

rockhopper wrote:It was a great weekend - north/south split in our favour for once 8) Lovely autumn colours and inversion shots - a great day - cheers :D

Cheers RH, it sure was a day for it 8) I see you had a fine day on Bidean, I hope I get a day like that also when I get round to doin it

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff LW, you are really getting the hang of that DSLR now, some beautiful shots of a fantastic sunny day in the hills :D

Cheers for that Chris, slowly but surely getting there, made a great deal easier with a day like that though :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland