walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler + 2

The Cobbler + 2

Postby steven65 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:51 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 05/11/2011

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1630m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was really looking forward to this walk , the weather report was to be favourable & as per other reports for the same day / same area it was grand . I was up nice & early 5am :shock: & away at 545am via Tillicoultry to pick up Steven. We stopped in at Mc D `s in Balloch at 7am for a coffee ,arriving at Loch Long soon after.
There were 2 other cars in the car park , a quick hi to some guys getting prepped & we off just after 8am. There was a wee nip in the air , although you knew things would soon improve & heat up .We crossed the road taking the main route marked for The Cobbler , after a wee bit of zig zagging up we turned right once we hit the rough track , continuing along untill we saw the post indicating where to turn left , up along the course of the old concrete foundation pylon blocks , this was a bit wet but nothing too drastic. Looking back over Loch Long to Arrochar a mist / har / low cloud formed over the water.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting in early light.
As we climbed steadily a trully fabulous cloud inversion covered practically all of the area below us. I took many wonderful pictures , a few posted on here . Ben Lomond looked pretty awesome .
Although still earlyish the sun was soon pounding away , despite being late on in the year it was now warm , no doubt the hard work climbing added to the heat.So jackets & fleeces off now , it was short sleeves for the present :D The rocky area up beside the old pylon blocks gave way to boggy areas , quite wet at times & muddy too. But always gaining height with GREAT views all around now.
The Cobbler came into view , it was quite different seeing it close up & at height.
Approaching the Spearhead the route was easy to follow & offered no problems at all - even to Oskar who always enjoys his days out on the hills.
Towards the summitt of Narnain the clag closed in and it chilled a wee bit , so tops & jackets back on once more. At the trig we chatted to a guy who stormed up the pathway leading to the cobbler & then onto Narnain in 1 hr 20 mins !!!!!!
He took the photo below , then we parted , he said a large group 60 + ?? Of scouts were doing the Cobbler / Narnain so he hadn`t bothered going up the Cobbler due to the numbers. As we made towards the bealach it cleared quite a bit again & we could see Beinn Ime - it looked vast & far away .
Continuing we met various folk coming down from Ime , a lot of them commented that it was the wettest hill they`d been on. It was a bit wet but not too horrific. The climb up Beinn Ime seemed to go on forever , but the views were worth it , at the summit it was lunch / break time. Deep joy.
We sheltered in the summit "howf " saying hi to fellow climbers , including the young guy with his dad that Pigeon mentioned in his walk report. Break over we plodded back down to the bealach towards the Cobbler. I was determined to do it , however if i`d left it for another day i think my walking partner ( also Steven ) wouldn`t have complained.
This IS a big day out - in my opinion.
On leaving Beinn Ime the clag again came down , although it was to clear again later on . Down again to the bealach & up the excellent steps to the Cobbler .
I was feeling the pace now , but it was sunny & not cold still very much a fine day.The Cobbler was still quite busy & on topping out the mist again came down.I`d decided to climb up onto the stack, so over through the window , on the wee ledge and up i went. On reaching the top Steven took some photos & i toasted my success with a wee nip of something .
Ime from the Cobbler
and again
Narnain from Cobbler
Once off , Steven went up too & i also took his photo too. Time was now marching on , it had been a long ,full day.I finished the last of my coffee & we made our way down the steps to the very decent pathway.
light beginning to fade as we start out on the pathway down & out
Making our way out passing the huge Narnain Boulders. From the top of the Cobbler it took us 1 hr 40 mins to the car in the car park.The last photo shows the moon rising over Arrochar - the last 15 - 20 mins were walked in near dark , but we didn`t use head torches as we knew we hadn`t too far to go.
Back at the car park it was very quiet , the 3 hills had been very busy but most folk had since left for home , only 2 / 3 cars remained , with 1 group behind us who had been on Ime
Once changed at the car park , we nipped into the Ben Athur pub in Arrochar for a quick pint before heading home. Overall a great day out in good conditions
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: The Cobbler + 2

Postby pigeon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Well done steven ,that's a big day but we might not get a weekend like that for a while so it was good to see people make the most of it.Well done also on taking on the cobbler,need to re-visit that one as i bottled going through the needle,bragging rights to my brother in law that day :( Good speaking to you :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby goth_angel » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:44 pm

I was up the Cobbler that day as well - it was a good day to be on the hills. As well as the boy scouts there was a truckload of Dutch squaddies up there! :shock:
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Yeah Steven, another great report on another lonnnnng day :D

I did this walk almost identically to you (who is stalking who here? :lol: ) on a gorgeous spring day, there was even some snow on the summits. :D

Pleased to say that it was almost as busy as you found it. I like to see people out and about on the hills, especially when they bring the family and dogs :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Chrisabelle » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Great report, I'm looking forward to the Cobbler next year when days are a bit longer. I dont do "up" very quick and would worry about being on hills after dark.
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2

Postby steven65 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Pigeon , i`d have been really angry with myself if we`d not done The Cobbler , & as we`d decided to do it i promised myself to climb the stack too , just a pity it wasn`t too clear at that point.

Hi Goth Angel , a busy day on the 3 hills eh !

Hi Polly , i ALWAYS take Oskar with me on my days out , when you prep the rucksack & gear he knows we`re off somewhere :D

Hi Chrisabelle ,im not the quickest walker on the planet , but im improving.I always carry a head torch , a hand torch & spare batteries just in case , & kitchen sink etc. probably carrying too much stuff that " i won`t need" untill .......
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Jockstar » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Well done guys and Oskar for a good walk around these three. you have some great photos for the start of the walk. We were the group with our friend Stretch wearing the Maclean kilt, about an hour behind you and I would think we both had a great day as the weather improved throughout the day. :D
i was glad that it was clear when I managed to go through the eye of the needle for my first (and probably last) time to stand on top of the Cobbler. Well done Steven for doing the business. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby bikerbill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:39 pm

We must have watching your lights as you were descending the Cobbler while we were eating our rolls and chips at the Pit Stop car park. We too had a nice walk up the Succoth trail, tho we did not start the walk til 12 ish. We began our walk in a clockwise direction for a change starting by going through Succoth village. We met a lot of walkers who passed us in the opposite direction with some giving Max, my golden labrador lots of pats on the head. Further on up the trail, we came across the Dutch soldiers who were camped up further up the trail. Yes, it was a brilliant day.
bikerbill
Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland