walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion in wind and rain

Schiehallion in wind and rain

Postby fipriestley » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 22/10/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I stayed in Pitlochry the night before and didn't want to miss climbing this one when I was so close by. So I met up with a few friends and set off from the car park just after 10am, quite a cloudy day but started off dry.

We hadn't gone too far up the path when 2 different sets of walkers who'd left the car park not too much in front of us, passed by on their way down again... they reckoned it was getting too windy and not worth continuing. Never ones to give in, we persevered and made it right to the top! The wind did get very fierce (think I might need to carry bricks in back pack to avoid getting blown away!) and the driving rain was relentless, making the trip across the boulder field more tricky, but the immense satisfaction of reaching the summit was well worth it :)

I followed experienced members of group on this trip - it was enough to concentrate on staying upright and planting feet on the ground with each step as the wind really wanted to whisk me away. Not quite sure what the boulder field looks like beyond the few steps in front of me (and others' pics!) so I'll add this to the list of walks to re-do at some point in better weather to catch the views... not the only reason I go out on the hills though, I'm enjoying walking in the clouds and reaching summits despite the force of the elements :D
Attachments
SDC12152.JPG
Before the views disappeared
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland