walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor knockout fail

Buachaille Etive Mor knockout fail

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:38 am

Date walked: 11/12/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 800m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ruithidh an taigeis fhèin le bruthaich.
"Even a haggis will run downhill"

The Gaidhealtachd had been without power for two days on Friday night so my chances of walking looked slim for Saturday as the old freezer full of venison ,scallops, mutton and all the good food i "apprehend" from the landmoaners of the Highlands would defrost by Saturday teatime and the orders were to hunt down a portable generator to save the horde :lol: .....however at 2.30am the power came on so i d be off in the morning :lol:

Uill an early morning run through snow drifts found me heading to the foot of the Buachaille Eite Mor on a bright cold and snowy morning and the sealltain from Ardgour to the tir mór were stunning

378039_2510552235858_1014670708_3334768_289129714_n.jpg
Éirigh na Gréine Inbhir Sanda ,Aird Gobhar

I had high hopes of a clear Winter day on the tops and decided to tackle the Buachaille in retrospect the rush led me to neglect my usual thourough preparations

I arrived at the Buachaille at 9.30am ,i know the route and its steep bealach ascent so i was expecting a slog through the previous nights snowfall.

DSCF3739.JPG
Stob Dearg ,Buachaille Eit Mor

The MWIS was forecasting a nice morning poor afternoon so myself and the cú set off toward the Coire underfoot was icy and snowy and the weather window was on us

DSCF3742.JPG
An Moineadh Mor

As i started ascent i caught up with two Polish lads and noticed that although geared up they had no ice axe or crampon's after a chat i kinda mentioned the axe was essential however as i took my leave they began following my footsteps in the knee deep snow. The traverses across the slopes were tiring but kicking footholds was easy enough and i had nt crampons anyway , so with axe in hand i kept going making decent progress

DSCF3744.JPG
An coire ...sneachd is reoite

DSCF3745.JPG
An craoibh beithe air a creagan

There was some stunning views over to the Mám Mór and a rare glimpse of Winter sun it was looking promising and no problems so far excepting taking care and being ready for any slip ups

DSCF3746.JPG
Sealltain gu an Mam Mór

DSCF3748.JPG
A ribhist

My Polish friends were lagging way behind however the path was evident at about 700m so i was nt concerned for them or myself .At this stage i started climbing the last 50 metres or so to the bealach and noticed a change in the terrain structure it was icier and more difficult to kick footholds so i started cutting with the axe to be safe and then i realised my first mistake ..bringing the dog!. He was nt in danger but all of a sudden i realised he would struggle to get up the last 30 metres

DSCF3749.JPG
Am Bhealach Buachaille

I decided to come out the snow chute and head for a rockier area where both the dog and myself could use the rocks to get an extra purchase and i made good progress onto this area which must have been 15 metres from the bealach summit.

What happened next i don't know except...... i slipped ,bang and then i skitted about 5 metres on my back before i got the brake on :shock:

There was blood everywhere and i knew i'd burst my Aodainn or Sron and after steadying myself i assessed the damage with my hands ...it was my nose had banged off a rock when i slipped :?

I took the camera fón out to check the damage .... not pretty ,not broken but sore :(

374573_2511515979951_1014670708_3334936_1128024394_n.jpg
An sron goirt air Colla

Uill bha sin é ,de thacair an nis ? ..... i took stock and decided to go down as much for the dog, who, if he slid did not have the luxury of an ice axe as a brake and anyway the sron was throbbing so i made an unglamourous exit back down the gully carefully maintaining three point contact with my tón to the wind.

And the two Poles ? well they saw me slip, when i recovered i gave them the thumbs up i was ok and gestured to them to go down they was about 50 metres down slope. I caught up with them further down they were using my steps i asked if they were ok "we are scared" was the reply ,it had dawned on them how exposed they were should they slip without the axe ....they did eventually get down safely and on their arses.

A cautionary tale ,i'm an experienced outdoor hill man and made three fundemental mistakes , bad preperation ,no crampons and taken the dog on a major Winter pull !!.There is no real harm done apart from the sore nose and i ll take that as a wee reminder not to take anything for granted however i ll be back next week minus the cú with crampons in my bag if the weather dictates and having given her proper consideration i will slap the Buachaille back when this time i summit :D

Cuiridh mi clach air do chàrn Buachaille Éite Mor ..... I will remember you Buachaille Etive Mor !

DSCF3741.JPG
Am Buachaille
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor knockout fail

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:49 am

Coll, great read ! A reminder to us all how easy it can catch you out.

Great shot of the nose ! Looked slightly out of shape to me, maybe just a bit swollen left in photo...or is that normal :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:01 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Coll, great read ! A reminder to us all how easy it can catch you out.

Great shot of the nose ! Looked slightly out of shape to me, maybe just a bit swollen left in photo...or is that normal :lol:

Aye photo was to see what damage i had done and after a few drams last night its looking better today but i ll no be picking the thing for a while :lol:

It is Spider soooo easy , i rushed it a wee bit yesterday and that was the outcome that and the usual crampons / no crampons debate if i had them on yesterday i d have been fine ....... it ll be crampons in future :D

and a doggie risk assessment :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:12 pm

I know what you mean !

Re the dogs I tend to leave mine at home this time of year unless doing something low level, they do like a good romp in the snow, but enough to worry about with my own progress up top.

Funny how a few drams seem to straighten anything out, I find the same :lol: :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:25 pm

A fine report of when things can go wrong and a lesson not only for yourself, myself to any other walkers heading into the hills at this time of year without crampons. We've probably all done it, we check the weather, we look up at the hill and we become complacent and think we won't need certain equipment. A lesson for us all, cheers.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:A fine report of when things can go wrong and a lesson not only for yourself, myself to any other walkers heading into the hills at this time of year without crampons. We've probably all done it, we check the weather, we look up at the hill and we become complacent and think we won't need certain equipment. A lesson for us all, cheers.

Crampons are a neccessity in those conditions a rule i will be pursuing in future :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:31 pm

spiderwebb wrote:I know what you mean !

Re the dogs I tend to leave mine at home this time of year unless doing something low level, they do like a good romp in the snow, but enough to worry about with my own progress up top.

Funny how a few drams seem to straighten anything out, I find the same :lol: :lol:

haha aye i automatically take the dog everywhere, to be honest i rushed yesterday usually im thourough but for once i was nt and just did nt think about it as far as the dog went !
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby dooterbang » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Glad your ok mate and nothing serious damaged.

Hope your nose aint too painful when blowing it, ouch!!

Great report in highlighting the dangers of winter walking.

Crampons and ice axe must be carried at all time.

Ice axe should be in hand as soon as you start ascending till you finish the walk.

A lesson learned but i know you'll kick its but next time 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:13 pm

dooterbang wrote:Glad your ok mate and nothing serious damaged.

Hope your nose aint too painful when blowing it, ouch!!

Great report in highlighting the dangers of winter walking.

Crampons and ice axe must be carried at all time.

Ice axe should be in hand as soon as you start ascending till you finish the walk.

A lesson learned but i know you'll kick its but next time 8)

Aye a bhalaich no serious damage at all ....a nice wee warning / let off :shock: . I always keep the ice axe in hand crampons are the boys i constantly debate over ..... not any more and aye no picking the nose :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Bod » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Awh, just glad you are well and been able to remind us all of the real dangers. As said it is all to easy to allow ourselves to be a little complacent at times (been there!). Here's to a speedy recovery....:).
We've been out too this weekend and been reminded of how vital crampons are, and also have difficult it can be with cold fingers to fit them properly. It seems all to easy in your living room, always important to try whilst out there. Again, so happy all is well....
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:33 pm

A great read and hope everyone learns from your cautionary tale. Good that you're ok.

However experienced in winter walking you just can't take anything for granted, conditions are never the same!

Some great photos and just love the colours in your first one :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby brian7530 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:39 pm

good to see that your ok..its true what they say..everydays a school day ...iv made the mistake of goin up without the crampons as well ...never again ;) stay safe amigo
brian7530
Mountaineer

Munros:24   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Bod wrote:Awh, just glad you are well and been able to remind us all of the real dangers. As said it is all to easy to allow ourselves to be a little complacent at times (been there!). Here's to a speedy recovery....:).
We've been out too this weekend and been reminded of how vital crampons are, and also have difficult it can be with cold fingers to fit them properly. It seems all to easy in your living room, always important to try whilst out there. Again, so happy all is well....

Hello Bod aye lesson learned and got off light .... already recovered :D we trip this week to town to acquire some nice new crampons as well :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:58 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:A great read and hope everyone learns from your cautionary tale. Good that you're ok.

However experienced in winter walking you just can't take anything for granted, conditions are never the same!

Some great photos and just love the colours in your first one :thumbup:

Aye i have a noble nose and it takes a good battering ceart gu leor :) ..... lesson learned :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:59 pm

brian7530 wrote:good to see that your ok..its true what they say..everydays a school day ...iv made the mistake of goin up without the crampons as well ...never again ;) stay safe amigo

Aye crampons in future thats for sure :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland