walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby sloosh » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 30/08/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On the drive there the weather looked promising and seemed as if it might go with the forecast from the MWIS (bit of rain in the morning, clearing by mid-morning and cloud bases lifting above munro tops).

Got to the side of the road where several other cars were parked and marvelled at how it only began raining when I got there. Still, I thought, the cloud will be lifting and the rain clearing so I'll get on with it. Pulled on the waterproofs and set off across the ditch and up the landrover track, soon pulling through the gate a few hundred metres up which was my cue to get ready to head off up the side of Ben More itself.

looking-back-from-track.jpg

way-back.jpg

Picked a spot to tackle the fearsomely steep looking hillside and hoped there would be a path of some sort but it really was a hit-the-hillside type walk with no path for that section. Waded upwards and onwards through the boggy terrain and long grass and was glad I'd pulled on the waterproofs. I'd picked a big rock waaay up the hillside to walk towards and eventually reached it. Checked the Satmap and had a chuckle because I was bang on the route I'd downloaded from WalkHighlands so I guessed Paul must've aimed for the same rock. :lol:

looking-back-to-track.jpg

glimpse-of-the-view.jpg

A few wee breaks in the cloud let me have a look at all the wonderful scenery I'd been missing climbing this rather steep hillside before I pressed on and somehow located a path. Then it was up parallel to the dry-stane dyke, and up... and up... it never seemed to end! A wee break in the cloud gave me a glimpse of where the top was (probably).

oh-dear-god-is-the-the-top.jpg

After a bit I reached the top, sat for a while and enjoyed the imagined views through the hill fog. So much for the cloud clearing the summits. Ah well.

stunning-views-at-the-top.jpg

stob-binnein.jpg

Pressed on towards Stob Binnein and was able to get a wee preview of what was in front of me as I descended out of the fog and down towards the bealach 1,000 feet below the summit of Ben More. Soon I was puffing my way up Stob Binnein and after about 40 - 50 minutes or so I was at the top of my second munro of the day and once again enjoying the imagined views through the hill fog.

Cracked myself up when I spotted a rock that looked like it had a face... it was a 'rock face' heh. Ah, the perils of walking alone.

rock-face2.jpg

Back down to the bealach and sheltered from the wind and now persistent rain behind the giant boulder. Was bursting for a wee so picked a spot at the side of the big boulder away from the shelter side of it. It was mid-afternoon, thick hill fog and no-one would be coming up the bealach side at this late hour so wasn't bothered about being particularly discreet. Went a shade of beetroot when a pretty female walker and her partner appeared and greeted me with a big grin a minute or two later having come up the bealach! Didn't know where to look. :oops:

Boy! It was muddy! And steep! Before long I encountered some cows. Passed the first one without difficulty then screamed like a wee girl and slipped on my bum when the next two startled as I was walking past them. Ahem*. Squelched my way down to the boggy path and eventually came to the old, very rickety bridge that signalled the landrover track where it was a straight walk back to the car.
Last edited by sloosh on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby monarchming » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Hey sloosh and I had the same problem in finding a path on Ben More asI have done it and Stob Binnein 3 times.Going by your report I have climbed it the same way until I came across the path much to my friends relief as it can be heavy going!They are 2 big mountains and it's a pity you never got much of a view from them though your pics are good.
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby sloosh » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:56 am

Hey monarchming. :)

Thanks.

Yeah, it seems to be pathless until you get about halfway up where one mysteriously appears as if by magic. I'm with your friend on that though - very glad it was there! It's funny, you don't realise how much easier a wee path can make walking up a hill until you do it without one.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mountain coward » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:39 am

I think a path makes it psychologically much easier too!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland