walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bheula from Invernoaden.

Beinn Bheula from Invernoaden.

Postby smiffysmc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bheula

Date walked: 07/01/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 779m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

.With my mate suffering from the cold and repairs to do after the storms i decided to head out and break in my new boots. Had a look on WH to see where i could go.With the forecast of Storm/Gale force winds i thought something local would be a better choice. Beinn Bheula was the closest Corbett and one yet to climb,choice made.
The route on WH starts from Lochgoilhead but i knew there was a path signposted from Invernoaden on Loch Eck side to Lochgoilhead so Invernoaden,south of Glenbranter was my start point. I downloaded WH route to MMap,then edited to add the section from Invernoaden,job done,8.5kms to summit. That should break the boots in :)

Parking in at the FCS carpark at Invernoaden(A815),i waited for the torrential rain to stop before getting out to get my gear on. Left the car at 08.40 and headed up the forestry road. The road zig zags its way up hill, followed by a longer straight that took me to a small concrete bridge. Its just round this that you leave the road and head onto the path.

Some good views of Loch Eck from Forestry road.

Sign at turn off

From here i left the road and headed up the path,well more of a wet quad track. This leads to a gate at the end of tree line. Over the gate the path is marked with posts,get to one and you can see the next and so on. There really isn't a path,just the posts to guide you and the conditions were very wet..............well it has been raining from Julember !!!

It was so wet underfoot i was getting fed up with the slow progress. Took a wee look and GPS to get a heading to meet up with WH route. I had to head down hill to try and cut across but this was even worse under foot !!! Bogs,bogs and more Bogs !!! So it was a retreat back to the post trail. I followed the posts till i got to the fence that cut across in the direction of the WH route.

Creag Sgoilte,Marker post and Fence.

I cut across following the fence line,the strong winds had now been joined by the unwelcome hail/rain.!! I stopped for shelter behind a rock for a packet of crisps and a wee drink. This is where i joined the WH route.

On the go again,turns out i'd stopped at the plane wreckage.

As i got ready to start the climb up Creag Sgoilte the Clag came in which made the navigation round the rocks interesting but found my way to the top no problem in what was now snow. Nothing heavy,just unpleasant in the wind. It was head down and onwards as i headed over to Beinn Bheula. All of a sudden,the Clag blew over giving me a chance to see where i was going and a few quick pictures. The east side holding onto its snow.

No time at all and i had arrived at the summit. 8) The weather held for a few minutes,but had closed in again before i left.

Lookin back at Creag Sgoilte

To feck with stayin up there for long,was time for a sharp exit. Lookin for somewhere to shelter to get into a warmer jacket i found these wee prints...

Hope it wasn't a monster !! :lol:

Back the way i came,looking over to Cruach nam Miseag,i'm 99.9% sure i seen someone on top,this was about 12.30ish.

Back at the car 6 hours later. Boots were giving me some hassle on the inside left ankle. Another great walk,made better by the clearing weather at the top,all be it..... brief.

Cheers.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Beinn Bheula from Invernoaden.

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:11 pm

i enjoyed that nice wee hill :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:32 pm

this looks great the pics are worth it
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby robertphillips » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Some nice photos i also done this on saturday coming up from lochgoilhead, started about same time must have just missed you at summit, didnt see much for the clag. :D
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby smiffysmc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:00 pm

robertphillips wrote:Some nice photos i also done this on saturday coming up from lochgoilhead, started about same time must have just missed you at summit, didnt see much for the clag. :D

Was that you I seen on top of the other hill about 12.30 then? Heading towards Bheula?
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby robertphillips » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:04 pm

no it wasnt me i went on to do 2 grahams was on my way to beinn lochain about that time pure soaked. :)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby smiffysmc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:19 pm

robertphillips wrote:no it wasnt me i went on to do 2 grahams was on my way to beinn lochain about that time pure soaked. :)

Ah I see. Shame we never crossed paths. Aye, it was a tad damp up there. My insulated jacket took a soaking on way back but i was warm and kept going,just wanted to get back to car.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby Rossco » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Looks like an interesting wee walk. You're photos look fab! I can't tell if you've put some fancy filters over them or if it's just the light in the area that day. Look very swish though some of them! :D
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   

Postby smiffysmc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Cheers. HDR setting on IPhone. Takes 3 pics at different levels and combines into one. Auto fix. Job done. Light changes every 2 seconds up there. Also if you chose an area on screen before snapping the pic, it adjusts the light for whole pic.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby Rossco » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Cool! I've never liked the HDR setting on the iPhone myself too, but you got some good results here with it so well done! The 2nd picture down in particular is a belter.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   

Postby smiffysmc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Rossco wrote:Cool! I've never liked the HDR setting on the iPhone myself too, but you got some good results here with it so well done! The 2nd picture down in particular is a belter.

The worst bit is tryin to hold the phone still enough. If you don't, it won't focus properly as it takes the shutter longer to take the 3 different exposures. First time I used HDR all my pics were pretty rubbish. I'm just lookin at apps for proper editing and self timer function.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby Peter913 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:17 am

Nice report and nice light you any ideas what plane that is

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:36 am

It was a Grumman Martlet. Think it was also known as the Wildcat, will need to check back Crashed in 1940.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Lovely set of pictures and an interesting route :D
It was really blowy on Saturday, (predicted gusts 60to 90mph), I somehow managed the summit of a mere sub-2000 hill and it was a hard work against the wind...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:266   Corbetts:179
Fionas:134   
Sub 2000:74   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland