walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Prairie View

Canada - Prairie View

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:52 am

Date walked: 13/01/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 477m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather for next week promises snow for 7 days and temperatures falling to -26 in the city so I thought I would make the most of the mild winter and head out toward Kananaskis again and get another short hike in before it's too late.

I turned off the Trans-Canada Highway at Highway 40 and headed South for just 9km before turning into the Barrier Dam car park, smiling as I see I have the place to myself.

Barrier Lake is a beautiful sight, frozen and largely covered with snow it provides a blank canvas around which the nearby mountains rest.

The hike begins by crossing Barrier Lake Dam which snakes its way across the Northern end of the lake.

Once across the Dam the path becomes a real nightmare, ankle deep dry powder snow would be fine, but ankle deep snow with a stream of solid ice beneath it is a nightmare. The micro spikes get full of snow and hardly seem worthwhile but without them it is a real 'Torvil & Dean' event. I try to stick close to the edge of the path and head off into the bare trees toward the fir covered slopes ahead.

The snow soon becomes much deeper and I stop skating around so much though I still suffer an occasional 'leg in the air moment' when caught unaware (such as stepping over this log across the trail)

it feels like a long and slow grind through the pine forest with the ice beneath the snow ever present. As I climb higher the snow gets a little deeper and the switchbacks on the trail are seemingly endless, but it is a beautiful day and the additional thigh work caused by the unstable footing is worth it.

after about 4.5km through the trees I break out onto a stunning viewpoint where the snow has been blown clear and footing is at last good.

Ahead I see the bare rock face I am heading to and beyond that the optional additional climb to the fire lookout. Unfortunately between me and the rock face is a good steep slope with a healthy covering of snow.

initially it is possible to skirt the tree line and avoid the really deep stuff whilst taking in the spectacular views.

Eventually I have no choice but to break out into the deep stuff and plod on up the increasingly treacherous slope which is almost impossible in places thanks to the ice beneath.

it was nice to find a small clear area to take a short rest and enjoy the scenery a while. I was glad that my boots and gaiters were holding up well with no sign of cold or wet permeating even though I had been over boot depth in snow for the largest part of the journey.

I was now on an intermediate ridge looking back on the route along the tree line that had taken me this far

The route ahead was steep and covered in deep snow, I knew from reading other reports that higher up there was a short scramble which would be tricky in these conditions, I hung my rucksack on a tree and headed up with walking poles only.

I tried to zig-zag where possible and circle around the steepest sections where the snow would allow, but it was hard going, sinking thigh deep with every step and stopping to rest every dozen or so steps.

but, eventually I reached the top of the ridge and the fantastic viewpoint, there was little snow on the ridge itself so I was able to wander around safely and take in the vistas.

Once I had rested a little up top I considered making the additional climb to the fire lookout tower, but the conditions meant it would have taken too long leaving me with terrible underfoot conditions on a steep slope and darkness looming. I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and opted for spending a few more minutes on the ridge instead.

Looking to the North East the mountains dry out and the vast flat plains of the prairie stretch out toward Calgary. From here almost the entire hike is in view from the tip of the lake (below right) through the pine forest and along the bare fronted ridge to where I'm standing with the camera.

I take a final look around and get myself a summit shot before head back down, the wind chill here is pretty bad and it is very cold now.

the descent was nowhere near as effective as the ascent and I slip and slide, stumble and fall my way back down through the trees creating a whole new pathway as I go.

back on the safety of the lower ridge I enjoy a food and drink break in the shelter of the trees and feel the last warmth of the sun as it dips in the sky toward the distant horizon.

what little snow remains on the ridge is sculpted into wave upon wave by the incessant wind

after enjoying the ridge for a while I stride back down through the forest falling so often I actually lost count, though a good coating of snow meant a cushioned landing each time. I soon found myself back on flat ground heading out toward the car park.

This is a hike I will have to return to in order to reach the fire lookout that was just out of reach this time. I think I made the right decision given the conditions, I'll return when the snow has gone (or when I've got my crampons!) and when I do I'll make a circular walk of it.

So my second Rocky Mountain hike is completed safely, I'll stick to the plan and keep easing in....though my thighs wouldn't necessarily agree on the ease of this particular hike I think in summer this will be a little cracker.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Prairie View

Postby Alastair S » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 am

Wow - spectacular stuff there Chris. Looks like a stunning part of the world.

Also sounds like hard work at times. Powder snow over ice isn't nice. And its also an avalanche waiting to happen so I trust you are paying heed to whatever avalanche warning services they have over there.

Today has been the coldest day of the winter so far (-9C in Aboyne at the moment) but overall this has been the mildest of the 4 winters I've experienced since moving to Scotland. We've only had one day of snow here in Banchory & the ski centres are struggling. That doesn't seem to a problem over there!
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:35 am

Another quality report Chris,think your going to enjoy your trips into the Canadian Mountains.

By my reckoning thats 2-0 to the baldy team over that other fella,cough........cough....stretch........cough.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby SMRussell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:07 am

This is just wonderful Chris! Beautiful photos :D

I'm keeping a note of your reports for when I'm next able to get to Alberta!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby quoman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:46 am

Fantastic report chris

looks absolutely magnificent over there stunning photo's
break yourself in nice and easy thats the way to go.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby malky_c » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Nice! It feels like you're easing us in gently too :)

I liked the first report, but this looks even more impressive. I can't imagine what will come next!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby yokehead » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:28 pm

More wonderful views, really stunning. 8) Sounds like crampons would have made all the difference, great job getting so far without them!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Alastair S wrote:Wow - spectacular stuff there Chris. Looks like a stunning part of the world.
Also sounds like hard work at times. Powder snow over ice isn't nice. And its also an avalanche waiting to happen so I trust you are paying heed to whatever avalanche warning services they have over there.
Today has been the coldest day of the winter so far (-9C in Aboyne at the moment) but overall this has been the mildest of the 4 winters I've experienced since moving to Scotland. We've only had one day of snow here in Banchory & the ski centres are struggling. That doesn't seem to a problem over there!

Cheers Alastair, I'm all over the avalanche reports mate (3 dead in Alberta this year already in Avalanches :( ) that was my real concern on the steep ascent toward the end where I was sinking to the thigh but plenty of trees very close by gave me the confidence to carry on

Winter is setting in here now, snow due for 7 days and daytime temps in the -20's :shock: hopefully it will freeze some of that snow solid and make walking much easier :D

by gammy leg walker » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:35 am
Another quality report Chris,think your going to enjoy your trips into the Canadian Mountains.
By my reckoning thats 2-0 to the baldy team over that other fella,cough........cough....stretch........cough.

:lol: Thanks Gammy, it really is an incredible area to have on my doorstep :D I reckon stretch is still recovering from the hard work in Scotland, or worse still he has had to start working for a living :shock: :lol:

by SMRussell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:07 am
This is just wonderful Chris! Beautiful photos
I'm keeping a note of your reports for when I'm next able to get to Alberta!

Cheers SMR, give me a shout if you are coming over here we'll have a mini meet up :D

by quoman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:46 am
Fantastic report chris
looks absolutely magnificent over there stunning photo's
break yourself in nice and easy thats the way to go.

Cheers Quoman, it looks even better in 'real life', once I've found my feet I should be getting some longer more interesting routes in.

by malky_c » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 pm
Nice! It feels like you're easing us in gently too
I liked the first report, but this looks even more impressive. I can't imagine what will come next!

Thanks Malky, I think there will be a bit of a lull for a week or so now, the weather has really changed it's -18 right now in the city (09:30 Sunday) and due to get worse as the week goes on, snow forecast for 7 days.... :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:37 pm

yokehead wrote:More wonderful views, really stunning. 8) Sounds like crampons would have made all the difference, great job getting so far without them!

Cheers Yokehead, you must have posted that as I was replying to others :shock: You are right about the crampons, I would have made the additional hike to the fire lookout if I had crampons with me..... and the return to the car would have been less like a scene from bambi on ice :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby agrubb » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Amaaaaaaazing photos! Seems like a completely different world over there!!
agrubb

Munros:219   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:5

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:38 pm

agrubb wrote:Amaaaaaaazing photos! Seems like a completely different world over there!!

Cheers Agrubb, it feels different now too, just been into town and my eyeballs were cold :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:42 pm

incredible stuff Chris :shock: Breathtaking!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:55 am

Gable Gable End wrote:incredible stuff Chris :shock: Breathtaking!

Thanks GGE, it should get better too once I stop tip toeing around the small lumps.....might take a while for that though :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby MarilynMunro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:45 am

Awwwwwww C'mon your killing me here. :lol: :lol:

Chris you are one jammy bandit :lol: :D
Im looking outside at the North Sea, AND YOU POST THESE UP. :D
Its no fair man :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:31 am

Wowsers Chris!!!

Can't believe that you've managed two fantastic reports on two awesome walks and you've pretty much just arrived!!!! :shock:

Was your hiking gear the first lot of stuff to get unpacked???? :lol:

You look like you have the mountains pretty much to yourself, is this really the case?
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland