walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein from the South

Ben More and Stob Binnein from the South

Postby DrMagpie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:52 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 12/01/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben More and Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

I vividly remember reaching the top of Ben More from Crianlarich on a very cold March day and thinking "I never want to tackle that ascent again!" This left a slight problem - how to climb Stob Binnein? Having read a few reports on Walkhighlands, I decided to give it a go from Inverlochlarig.

With the promise of fine weather all day, I left Edinburgh early. The journey was suprisingly quick without the usual procession of lorries and coaches through the Trossachs! I quickly had my boots on and was ready to go.

I'd heard the start of this route was punishingly steep, and can confirm the reports weren't exaggerated. The photo doesn't really do the gradient justice. Although as you gain height, fantastic views open up over Loch Voil, and across to the Arrochar Hills.

SDC10409.JPG
The Steep Start!

SDC10412.JPG
View over Loch Voil to Ben Vorlich and Stuc A'Chroin

It's a huge relief when the top of the steep section is reached and the route ahead becomes clear.

SDC10415.JPG
The Route Ahead

SDC10418.JPG
First proper view of the summit

From here, a gentle ridge walk leads to the top of Stob Coire and Lochan. A slight dip and a fairly steep ascent and I was stood on top of Stob Binnein. As promised, despite a strong wind, the weather was absolutely beautiful. Clear blue skies and views across much of the Southern Highlands.

SDC10420.JPG
Cruach Ardrain from Stob Binnein

Now it was decision time - to go across to Ben More or not? With the weather as good as this and with plenty of daylight left, how could I refuse?! I set off quickly to the bealach-eadhar-dha-bheinn and began the long ascent up Ben More. Although steep, there's a good path that leads all the way up. Despite the lack of snow, there was some fantastic neve around the short scrambling step - a chance to get the ice axe out!

The views back to Stob Binnein were stunningly beautiful

IMG_0350.JPG
Weather starting to turn

SDC10421.JPG
Obligatory Summit Shot

Unfortunately, I could see clouds beginning to roll in from the west covering the distant hills. I made a swift retreat down to the bealach and cursed the fact i needed to retrace my steps over Stob Binnein to reach the car park! As I started reascending the clouds came in and the snow started. With the strong wind, I was blasted by horizontal hail for the entire journey back up Stob Binnein. I met the only other walker that day on the summit of Stob Binnein and through the wind and snow chatted about the appalling weather we'd had this year.

With no more ascent, all that was left was to retrace my steps to the car park - a welcome sight at the end of a long day.

IMG_0353.JPG
Very different weather to earlier!

IMG_0354.JPG

Despite the longer route and having to retrace your steps over Stob Binnein, this route was definitely preferable to the long slog up Ben More from Crianlarich.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DrMagpie
Rambler

Munros:78   

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein from the South

Postby gary » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Nice report, some great pics.

I have only done them from the Crianlarich side and I am in the same mindset as yourself, never again.

A few of my friends have still to do them so might recommend doing them they way you have and might even join them.

Is it really not as hard?
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Postby SMRussell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Good route - we considered Ben More and Stob Binnein last year but were put off by the unrelenting ascent of Ben More - this looks like a much better option! Would be good to turn it into a circular but not too sure how that would be accomplished... :think:

Some lovely photos in there too :thumbup:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby DrMagpie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. It's my first report on Walkhighlands!

Gary - the initial bit's steep and unpleasant but there is a path from start to finish unlike the Crianlarich side. The steep sections only to the 700m contour. The rest of the route to Stob Binnein is up a broad ridge with spectacular views. Definitely not as intense as the ascent of Ben More. The longer distance and reascent of Stob Binnein does make it a long day though!

SMRussell - I agree a circular route would be much better. Apparently you can descend from the bealach and follow the glen back to Inverlochlarig but this descent looked incredibly steep and not entirely safe with snow and ice on the ground. You can hop across from Stob Coire an Lochan to Meall na Dige and descend to Monachyle. This adds some variety but extra distance to the route! Would definitely consider this way if tackling Stob Binnein alone.
DrMagpie
Rambler

Postby Bay Bloke » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks for sharing the trip, some great photos.

To break up the return trip you can turn it into a circular by dropping into Inverlochlarig Glen from the bealach. It's pathless to start with and a wee bit boggy but you eventually pick up a landrover track back to the farm.

Edit - just noted your comments, the descent is a bit steep so perhaps one to avoid in the conditions!
Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Great report

You wouldn't happen to have the sat nav coordinates for the car park at inverlocharig would you?

Thanks

DJ
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby DrMagpie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi DJ

Don't use a sat-nav myself. There's a walkhighlands forum where sloosh's given coordinates for lots of car parks. This one's under "Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain from Inverlochlarig"
The link's http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2752

Can't take any credit for this but hope it helps!
DrMagpie
Rambler

Postby scooby0511 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Great report and photographs DrMagpie

Can't believe the photograph of Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin, I was up Ben Vorlich on Saturday morning and could barely see 12ft in front of me, so will have to do it again as I didn't have the right gear to takle Stuc (Crampons ordered when I returned home).

Thanks for the link to Car Park co-ordinates
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Nice report Drmagpie.
Lovely photos. I done these from Inverlochlairig as well. Its a nice route. :D
monty

Postby nathan79 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Nice report and an interesting looking route. I can maybe take these two hills off of the "i'm never doing that" list.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby xpfloyd » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Good report and got me thinking about doing these two from this side now too.

nathan79 wrote:I can maybe take these two hills off of the "i'm never doing that" list.
:lol:
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:02 pm

I'm another who has done them from the Crainlarich side and I thought I would never want to go up them again. I'll have to try them from the other side as well then :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:10 pm

nice report DrM and some great pics too. I did the same route as you back in April 2011 (at the second attempt!) . The ridge walk was great - the reason for choosing that route - but the slog up Ben More was a wee bit ofa challenge!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby quoman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi DrMagpie
that route looks at lot easier than the Crianlarich side and nice photo's to boot.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Alan S » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:07 am

Good report and pics drmagpie :D
I done the same route as you a few years back and totally agree with your comments as it is one steep walk and nearly finished my hillwalking for good when i had to go back over stob binnein :lol:

Godd to see another report from this side 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland