walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wild Boar Fell and Funny Cairns

Wild Boar Fell and Funny Cairns

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Date walked: 18/01/2012

Time taken: 7.5

Distance: 22.1 km

Ascent: 911m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the first walk I've posted although am an avid reader of everyone else's exploits on the site. So a bit of history. I'm allowed out every other Sunday as the dearly beloved works. Jim and Mick and occasionally Jerry get released too and we've been walking together for over three years now. We're based in Bury and Blackburn which is very handy as most of the English and Welsh Hills are about two or less hours drive away. We do Scotland when we get a weekend pass! I'm a bagger of Wainwrights and any other type of hill too! and whether they like it or not so are Jim, Mick and Jerry. They seem happy to let me plan and do the lions share of navigation and to be frank I enjoy that bit. :lol:
Sunday was the first time we've been out this year and at last the weather forecast was good :D. Frozen ground equals slightly different Yorkshire Dales hills as otherwise a complete bogfest. So it was picking Mick up at 7.30 Jim at 8.00 and off to Garsdale. Arriving at 915ish and trying to work out where we should park we eventually found the passing place at SD776922 and got kitted up. It was cold!
The route was easy especially as I'd read this site and found a walk by tango in Dec 2010 :) follow a wall/fence to Tarn Hill Fell then to Knoutberry Haw
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 002.JPG
The wall to Tarn Hill Fell looking back to Garsdale
take a bearing to Stone Rigg and then off up Swarth Fell and on to Wild Boar Fell retracing our steps to Swarth Fell Pike and pick up the road to the car.
This is exactly what we did! The ground was frozen solid and easy walking, Tarn Hill Fell has, as the names suggest 'Tarns' with some funny cairns next to them,
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 016.JPG
Funny Cairn with Mick (L) and Jim (R)
Knoutberry Haw just has a funny name and a trig point! great views to the Howgills and every where else too!
Navigation was easy as we could see for once and a good time to practice. Got to Stone Rigg and then to SD747945 for a bite to eat
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 017.jpg
On the way to Lunch!
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 018.jpg
Icicles any one?
before the slog up on to Swarth Fell.
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 020.jpg
Mick slogging it up to Swarth Fell
More cairns and a clear view of Wild Boar Fell,
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 024.jpg
Wild Boar Fell from Swarth Fell
didn't hang around as the wind was dropping the temperature despite the sunshine. Wind behind up Wild Boar Fell, Jim was leading and took us via the obvious path to 'Cairn Heaven' near to the steep drop of the North Eastern face. Couldn't help wondering there were so many cairns, must have been a 'cairn building' championship
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 029.jpg
Cairn Building Championship
at one time. Once we finished gazing at them we realised the summit was still 400m away so headed for that. Couple of photos and off back to Swarth Fell. The rest of the trip was a steady walk along the fence line past the wall junction
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 037.jpg
On the way down
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 039.jpg
End of the day
and on down to reach the road wandering back along it as the first stars or planets appeared,
Wild Boar Fell - Jan 2012 043.jpg
The final pic!
past the only lighted house in the valley and back to the car. :D
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Wild Boar Fell and Funny Cairns

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Enjoyed reading your report, glad you had such good weather and excellent photos :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby DaveB1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks for the comments Susie, I'm just a novice at the reports but I'm going to persevere. Winter is definitely the best time for the Dales unless you're a wellie maker! :lol:
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:14 pm

DaveB1 wrote:I'm just a novice at the reports but I'm going to persevere.

The last time I went up there it was wall to wall bog :lol: :lol: Somehow I managed to keep fairly dry until my darling wife slipped and dragged me down with her as we decended Swarth Fell :roll:

Cheers Dave keep submitting the reports

LH
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland