walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby gary » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 22/01/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I spoke with Matt_18 during the week and after due consideration regarding the weather forecast decided on a smallish route that appeared in general, quite straightforward, Schiehallion fitted the bill nicely.
I arrived at the car park just after 7.30 a.m closely followed by Matt and his brother Rich. We set off bang on 8 a.m after a quick cup of tea and ours were the only cars there when we left.
The sun was starting to rise as we progressed along the path to the start of the ascent, although we were still unable to see the the summit due to cloud.
As usuall Matt lead the way at quite a pace and before long I was lagging behind with Rich in the middle.
Not wanting to admit I was struggling already I stopped to take a few photos as we hit the snowline although the path was still very clear at this point as it only had a covering of snow.

DSCF1044.JPG
The sunrise

DSCF1045.JPG
Towards the summit

After my short photo stop we headed on up the good path and the wind started picking up considerably although it did little to disperse the cloud towards the summit and the views were getting limited as snow showers passed by on either side of us, the cloud very occasionally breaking up but barely long enough for a photo.

DSCF1046.JPG
Last photo before tthe summit

I think we must have been about half way up when our luck ran out and we were walking head on into a snow storm however it was a fine excuse to catch my breath again as we turned our backs to it and waited the five minutes or so to let it pass.
The snow was getting deeper all the time although I did seem to have my second wind now and found progress much easier.I think we lost the path along the way and ended up just heading in the general direction of the top which was totally obscured now. A quick check on our position via the iphone assured us we still had a bit of climbing to do so we got the heads down and before long we made it to the first, large cairn. The going got a bit tougher now across the snow covered rocks and a bit of care was required from here to the top, we finally made it at about 10.15 a.m although our views were very much limited.

DSCF1047.JPG
Rich approaching the summit

DSCF1048.JPG
Our view west

We only stopped for maybe 10-15 mins at the summit as the views were not great and showed little sign of improving and the wind chill made it bitter. About 20 mins into the descent we met 3 people heading up who thanked us for our path in the snow which they had followed. I noticed one of them carrying what looked like a WH route description. After talking for a few minutes we went our seperate ways.It started to brighten up a bit on the way down so I managed to get a few more photos.

DSCF1052.JPG

DSCF1054.JPG

DSCF1056.JPG

Matt was leading the way and we came across a few steep parts which he decided to run down, the snow was about knee deep so it was probably easier than walking although in doing so we lost the path again so we kept heading down in hope of finding it but instead found more steep sections which we started running down, much against Richs' better judgement I think. I think we must have descened over 100m in a matter of minutes maybe less. Once the snow thinned out a bit we managed to pick up the path again passing quite a few people on their way up and were back at the car park which was almost full by 12 midday.
I think we will return here when the weather is better to hopefully get some better views but if nothing else it kept the fitness up.
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Re: Schiehallion

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Really good well-detailed report Gary :thumbup:

May use this as my back-up hill for tomorrow, so your timing is superb!

Many thanks P X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:20 am

Really enjoyed your report Gary, and some great photos with lovely light in them :thumbup:

Did you use your new camera?
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby gary » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 am

pollyh33 wrote:Really good well-detailed report Gary :thumbup:

May use this as my back-up hill for tomorrow, so your timing is superb!

Many thanks P X

Thats o.k Polly.

Funny you should say that as it has been our back up hill the last few times we have been out. Going to have to find another now.

Looking forward to your report wherever you decide to go
gary
Mountain Walker

Postby matt_18 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:53 am

Note to self - must go a tad slower when in the lead!!
Sorry mate, good day and your totally right, need to find another back up hill but I'm glad we did this one as I have been eyeing it up for a while!
matt_18
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:1

Postby Rich_28 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 pm

At least I wasn't the only one finding it tough then! The Descent was definitely the more memorable part of this one eh? :D
Here's a few additional shots:
Attachments
DSCF3491.JPG
Just setting off...
DSCF3492.JPG
Where's that sun?
DSCF3493.JPG
...There it is!
DSCF3494.JPG
DSCF3495.JPG
DSCF3496.JPG
DSCF3499.JPG
DSCF3500.JPG
Where's Lenny?
DSCF3501.JPG
DSCF3504.JPG
DSCF3505.JPG
It's definitely clearing...
DSCF3506.JPG
Shall we go back up?
DSCF3508.JPG
DSCF3509.JPG
DSCF3510.JPG
From the finishing point.
Rich_28
Mountain Walker

Munros:12   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby gary » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Have to agree with you there mate, some good pics aswell Rich, thanks . :)
gary
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland