walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sleep mat

Sleep mat

Postby Louise » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi

Time to update my gear with a new lightweight sleep mat to go in the rucsac for wild camps and just incase can't get into the bothy after a long trek!

Any recommendations would be helpful :D

thanks

Louise
Louise
Hill Bagger

Munros:91   Corbetts:11
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Sleep mat

Postby dacky » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:52 am

I'm using a Multimat foam jobber at the minute, brilliant value for money and good insulation. Very light but bulky and ungainly for lugging around.

If your looking to spend a bit more Alpkit sell one for around £40 that's supposed to be very good.

If your made of money check out therm-a-rest, sell a range of top end mats, light weight, tiny pack size, bloody expensive!
dacky
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:153   

Postby Belgian_Hiker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Louise - are you planning to use all year round or 3 season ?

Although expensive, Therma-a-rest Neoair is a great sleeping mat. Very confortable, lightweight and tiny pack size compared to others. Most important of all is that it doesn't have a slippery surface like all other mats when not on level ground, you just slide off. Look at the standard neoair for 3 season use and the all season neoair for all year round. There is also a new version coming - neoair xlite which is mummy shaped as opposed to the rectangular shape.
Belgian_Hiker
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:7   

Postby basscadet » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I have he alpkit one and it is great.. I use it all year round, and haven't been cold or anything whilst camping. I do like a thicker one for hard bothy floors though, so it depends what you want it for. :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby mrssanta » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:00 pm

I have an alpkit mat which is good. if you need warm, try putting an el cheapo closed cell foam mat underneath it. We use £4.99 mats under our groundsheet for warmth and to protect the groundsheet, much cheaper to replace. then the self inflating mat on top of the groundsheet. I am bony and feel the cold, (also getting old) so comfort at night is important.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Peter277 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:20 pm

hi used my neoair for 2 yrs great all the time used it with air temp down to -4 and been fine but it strugles to keep cold out when used on snow ,even with some snow scraped back to pitch tent ..got a exped synmat synthetic fill now for winter proper..both worth the money if you use them plenty
Peter277
Scrambler

Munros:280   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby PhilTurner » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 pm

As a very rough, non-scientific guide, look for an R-Value of 5 for a winter sleep mat and you won't go far wrong. From memory the standard Thermarest NeoAir is 3.5, the All-Season 4.9 and the new XTherm 5.7. A closed-cell foam mat will be somewhere between 2.3 and 4 depending on thickness etc. Handily these values are additive, so slipping a closed cell foam mat under your normal NeoAir may add enough additional insulation to see you through the winter months.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:19 pm

Great feedback thanks.
Certainly gives me lots to think about and research. I want to start doing more wild camping and bothying, all year round I hope, so need to have a think about what I spend I think :)
Cheers
Louise
Louise
Hill Bagger

Postby Steve B » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:05 am

I got a Pacific Outdoor sleep pad last year.
Used it a few times and get a good sleep on it. It packs down really small, is very light and is easily repairable if needed (not had to do this yet mind!). The latter was a consideration after too many nights on a leaky Thermarest.
Takes a bit of blowing up at the end of the day which is a drag but you are then on a extremely comfortable full length mat.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks Stevie, I'll check them out too :)
Louise
Hill Bagger

Postby fraochydug » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:15 pm

ive been using a military 5 season foam mat for a few years. its bulky, but light and comfortable on all but the stoniest ground.
recently ive been toying with the idea of buying a Thermarest Neoair, but at first glance they seem very flimsy even compared to my old thermarest (which i gave up patching years ago)
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby JEG105 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:12 am

I've heard stories of the Neoair delaminating after only a short while so you may wish to investigate further. I personally prefer the Exped Synmat/Downmat over my thermarest, simply down to pack size (for a similar R value).
JEG105
Scrambler

Postby Belgian_Hiker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:59 pm

It was a known fact that the early NeoAir models had delamination problems, but this seems to have been resolved over the last years, so I personally wouldn't let it effect your decision. Therm-A-Rest have a great reputation for customer support and replaced all those earlier models free.
Belgian_Hiker
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Highlander » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi Louise,

I've been looking into this as well and quite like the look of the Pacific Outdoor Equipment Peak Elite AC.
(http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cf ... _-83120066).

Steve B, is this the pad you have?

Also, Exped do down filled mattresses, little bit more expensive and heavier though (http://www.facewest.co.uk/Exped-Downmat-7-Pump.html).

h
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:11   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:2   Islands:17

Postby Hendos van » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Highlander wrote:Hi Louise,

I've been looking into this as well and quite like the look of the Pacific Outdoor Equipment Peak Elite AC.
(http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cf ... _-83120066).

I also use this one, packs down really small compared to my old Thermarest.
Hendos van
Munro compleatist

Munros:261   Corbetts:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk