walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moncrieff Hill eventually

Moncrieff Hill eventually

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:58 am

Route description: Moncreiffe Hill near Perth

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Arthur's Seat, Moncreiffe Hill

Date walked: 08/02/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Plan A today was head up to Angus to climb one of the Grahams but after picking Alan up and telling him about my lost car keys on the Lomond Hills he suggested we go look for them. I decided we'd go to the spot i had lunch but they were not there so we returned and headed up towards Perth. We intended to climb Moncrieff Hill but i had no map and could not find the road to the start, so we ended up in Abernethy after driving around for a bit. Right lets go up there, pointing to Castle Law, so we did. Up and down in an hour and while we were up there we saw the road we needed for Moncrieff Hill and it looked like you had to go into Bridge of Earn to get to it and once down we headed over. We found it no problem and were soon making our way up Moncrieff Hill following the red route all the way to the summit.
P1020303.JPG
Abernethy

P1020304.JPG
Moncrieff Hill

P1020306.JPG
The Ravens view

P1020307.JPG
Icy path

P1020309.JPG
West Lomond & Bishop Hill from the summit

P1020311.JPG
Alan approaching Moncrieff summit

P1020312.JPG
Perth

P1020313.JPG
East

P1020314.JPG
The Lomonds

P1020315.JPG
M90
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Moncrieff Hill eventually

Postby Graeme D » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Aha, my local sub! Been up there many times, both from the Earn car park (mostly when we lived for 3 months last year in Bridge of Earn) and also from the Tay car park (my usual ascent route from the Perth side). Still never posted a report yet though :o :shock: ! The Earn side is longer but with better views once you get beyond the initial tree line lower down.....and if you can manage to dodge the dog turds littering the track up and not pay too much attention to the bits that are scarred by tree felling. The Tay car park on the other side is relatively new - you get into it by turning off the Edinburgh road when entering/leaving Perth onto the minor road signposted for Rhynd and Elcho Castle. You used to have to park by the side of the road and tended to get stroppy messages left on your windscreen by Victor Meldrew in the house at the bottom of the track up. :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Apologies for not commenting sooner but I was trying to do so from my mobile but it kept logging me out!!!

Great wee report, as for the flaffing about at the beginning of the walk, I thought that was my domain :lol: :lol:

Photo of that icy path is super scary :( :(
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:16 pm

When I started reading this I thought I was in for a tale of found keys and hills conquered.... dammit :lol: still you got out there JC and gave it a look and did get the hill eventually :D that path looks like all of the 'official' trails in Canada :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland