walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Greetings from Germany

Greetings from Germany

Postby TomMrG » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Hello everybody!

I've been to Scotland long ago in the b.c. times (before children), which were also the before internet times. Many things changed, but hopefully the highlands didn't. After Britain stopped fearing the rabies, it is possible now to walk the highlands even with our dog. So this is what I intend to do this year in May / June - not only with the dog, but also with my wife and a tent (and all the other stuff, that bends ones back ;-)
Currently I am looking for some walks of 5 - 7 days, thinking of Letterewe, Grampians, or Glen Coe. Of course any hints are welcome!

Best regards,
Tom
TomMrG
Munro compleatist

Re: Greetings from Germany

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Tom,
You'll find plenty of inspiration on here !

As for the dogs, only you know your own, but have walked mine many times up the hills and they love it. Just be aware of deer stalking season (can't recall when that is off the top of my head) when it would be a good idea to keep them on lead and of course where livestock are about if your dogs are likley to give chase.

That said there are plenty of wild places.

I avoid taking my two springers in full winter times (not that we've had much snow to date) and also a bit more careful in spring regards nesting birds, although they don't take much interst in birds except when their in flight, but they are a pair of dopy buggers ! :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby TomMrG » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks, Spider for the warm welcome.

Yes, I already read some guidelines about how to behave in the highlands and what I really love is the fact that these give some responsibility into your own hands, e.g. I remember the sentence that you have to keep dogs "under close control". You know, in Germany you would never read a sentence like this, because the scope would be to wide. Here one would read: "dogs have to kept on led" and beware, if you don't follow, even if your dog eats your lips!

Unfortunately my current dog has to be kept on led - she's a poodle mix and loves hunting :( - o.k. she won't catch anything, but neither deer nor birds know this! I once had an Appenzell mountain dog, with which I could observe deer, capricorns and marmots and she stayed close to my side... sniff ... Anyway - new dog, new walkings. I'll have a look around in the forum!

bye (or is it better to say "aye"?)
Tom
TomMrG
Munro compleatist

Postby KeithS » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi TomMrG,
I'll be trudging round Letterewe around May/June. It is a truly wonderful area, may see you there. :D
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Tom re "bye (or is it better to say "aye"?)"

Far be it for me to comment being a sassenach, I'll leave that to my Scottish hosts, although having now made Scotland my home I may have a few hints and tips. :lol:

Re your text, aye, I believe is a substitute for yes, but can be thrown in anywhere in a conversation !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Klaasloopt » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Tom,
Sounds similar to me: been to Scotland before children, and planning a return. I re-started last year. May is an excellent choice I think. Walks of 5-7 days are available in the Long Distance section, but I tend to 'assemble' walks myself. Or: walks tend to assemble themselves on the go. Plenty of information here, and on other sites, especially www.geograph.org.uk.
Enjoy your preparation!
Klaas
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby scoob999 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Quick lesson in Scottish :lol:
Aye means Yes
Bye means Goodbye "cheerio"
I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly, i know a few Germans with a Scottish accent :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby scoob999 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:52 am

I also believe the "CH" as in the German surname BAUCH has the same Pronunciation as the "CH" in LOCH
Its easy you'll pick it up really quickly :D
And why am i doing this? i do believe there's a few qualified teachers on this site! :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby TomMrG » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi out there,

thanks, KLaas for the geograph-Link. Wow, there's a lot of photo-stuff - I think I'll spend some time on that site. And I will have some more looks into the long-distance-walks forum. Up to now I found tons of WHW stories, but not that much on more advanced walking (sorry if this sounds arrogant, I don't mean it that way :( ). Besides Letterewe I also look for other areas like Glencoe and the area around Ben Nevis (for Ben Nevis itself I already found lots of stuff). And I would try to be flexible due to weather conditions. Maybe the Grampians have less rain in case of deluvian conditions in the western highlands. :)

@Scoob: aye = yes, that was, what I thought as well because of "aye, aye captain" or such things. Besides our hiking-weeks we rent a cottage on Skye for one week. And interestingly the lessor signed his e-mails with "aye", where I thought of a "regards" or something like that.

Have fun,
Tom
TomMrG
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...