walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear review: synthetic insulated jackets

Gear review: synthetic insulated jackets

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:36 am

In the latest of our series of comparison reviews, Walkhighlands' Gear Editor Phil Turner takes a look at synthetic insulated jackets...

Phil wrote:Whilst Scotland seems to be basking in balmy Spring weather I’m still holding out for a final icy blast for an oft-postponed igloo-building trip. Although there’s plenty of snow forecast for later this weekend, at the moment here’s a distinct lack of the white stuff around, but that shouldn’t lead to complacency when it comes to winter clothing, particularly insulating layers. Thanks to Scotland’s temperate, maritime climate I’m never totally sure that my puffy down jacket will remain free from moisture and that disconcerting descent to a feathery porridge consistency. Especially in winter, I want an insulating layer that I can throw over myself without having to think about the ambient conditions – with spindrift in my eyes and cold fingers I don’t want to be taking off layers and protecting fragile down insulation with a waterproof shell – I just want to be warm....

Read and watch the full review
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Gear review: synthetic insulated jackets

Postby gaffr » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:53 am

The great standby to have in the sack if the weather gets a 'bit pearshape'. A Haglofs version of these, with hood, is tucked away in my sack during the winter trips. Must say a bit cheaper than most of those on view in the survey. Very compressible but maybe the outer fabric wouldn't stand up to a great deal of rough use......some of the outers in the list look more robust? An extra large size to go over everything when needed in a hurry. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Gear review: synthetic insulated jackets

Postby funnybunnytom1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Every single time. Would go for a montane insulated jacket.usually I would use a montane prism which. Have for but if very extreme conditions. Would go for something like the montane ice guide that is filled with a lot of primal oft!
funnybunnytom1
Stravaiging

Munros:2   
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:7   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk