walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking Rage - Has Anybody Suffered This?

Walking Rage - Has Anybody Suffered This?

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:33 pm

My wife and I had an hour or so to spare, so we set off to walk the 1.5 miles to a local waterfall. We thoroughly enjoyed the walk through a wooded ravine and were almost within sight of the fall when I spotted a family group of Mum, Dad and 5 young kids doing a bit of a photo shoot. Dad had seen us approaching but had positioned himself in the centre of the 4ft wide path and was videoing his family returning from the waterfall and taking photos also. I waited on the path about 10m behind him while my wife retreated a bit further and sat on a rock. After about 5 mins, the Dad turned around, looked at me, stepped aside, waved me past and handed his camcorder to one of the children. I thanked him and went a few yards past, then turned and beckoned my wife to join me (as it was a bit steep and she needs a helping hand sometimes). As I stood watching her, the Dad looked at me and said “ Well, which way are you going, back or forward?” So I said we were going to the falls, at which he seemed to lose all sense of reason and launched a verbal attack on me, saying that I was obviously the bloody-minded type of awkward b*****d who made a point of standing in the way when people were taking photos and that I had ruined his photos. I apologised and said that I honestly thought as he had waved me past, he would have been finished and that it was important that I waited for my wife to catch up. In the next 2 or 3 minutes, he called me all the unpleasant things he could get away with saying in front of my wife, his wife and his children, and despite me offering more apologies, he was still calling after me as we walked on.
I’ve had many folk walk in front of me while taking pics, but as these things are digital, you just take another pic or video and delete the spoiled one. It’s no big deal.
They seemed such a normal looking family, so I don’t know why this man suddenly flipped the way he did.
Has anyone else on here suffered from camera rage like that or had another walker have a go at them in that manner?
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Re: Walking Rage - Has Anybody Suffered This?

Postby Matthew C » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Sorry to hear that you & you'r good lady recived a mouth full, think the term prat :? is probably the most polite thing I can say about the "gent ?" in question.
Matthew C
Mountain Walker

Munros:177   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby RicKamila » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:54 pm

I walked in front of someone who I didn't realise was taking a photo of their family at Glen Tanar. I apologised and said would you like me to take the photo so you can be in the photo with them too.

We have had on one occassion Walker Rage, where we were walking along a path and saw a couple in their late 50's coming towards us in the opposite direction, Me and Kamila went into single file and stayed along the edge and they remained side by side, holding hands, albeit moving slighty towards us and one of them bumped into Kamila and swore at us for not moving out of their way and tried to make an issue out of it.

I said to them that we moved as far as we could and that as they aren't going to apologise, then neither are we and we carried on walking.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby fionac » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:58 pm

I agree with Matthew C. The dad should've been the one saying thank you to you for waiting.
fionac

Postby GraemeMac » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:13 pm

People that act like that obviously have some underlying issues, should probably feel sorry for them more than anything
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Postby scoob999 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:47 pm

I wonder if this is the type of family that wild camps in a 12 berth tent, with a raging fire and barbecue, leaves after a few days leaving all there empty beer cans and rubbish lying around!!!
Honestly, some people have no manners or common decency these days, and it seems to be getting a regular occurence, or i'm i becoming less tolerant as i get older :(
Rant over :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby DonnyW » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:59 pm

I bought a video camera many years ago when my kids were small, as I wanted a video memory of them for later in life. In those days.. even the cheap video cameras where huge so you couldn't hide the fact you were video'ing the kids.

It used to amuse me, the amount of people who would intentionally walk in front when I was operating it..it was quite obvious that often they were even going out their way to do it. I guess it could have upset me if I didn't find it amusing.

Some people are very anti social and I have always accepted that. It probably annoys them more because I dont mind and just look past folks that probably want a grump. So nope..I have never had an arguement like that while walking.

But in a car ... well.. that is a different story :shock:
DonnyW

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:32 pm

I've met a few people who seem to think that normal rules of decorum do not apply when out in the hills. Of course, it matters all the more - if a fight starts, where would it stop? Some make rude comments, or critisize my kit or route. I used to puzzle over their behaviour, now I just punch them in the face. It works.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby westcoasthiker » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:45 pm

I hate to think what his kids will turn out like when they become older. Parents are supposed to set good examples rather than showing what jerks they can be.
westcoasthiker
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:26   

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:52 pm

scoob999 wrote:I wonder if this is the type of family that wild camps in a 12 berth tent, with a raging fire and barbecue, leaves after a few days leaving all there empty beer cans and rubbish lying around!!!
Honestly, some people have no manners or common decency these days, and it seems to be getting a regular occurence, or i'm i becoming less tolerant as i get older :(
Rant over :lol:

Oddly enough, they seemed like a very normal family, parents in late 20's / early 30's, middle management types, good quality gear. I reckon yobbish behaviour insn't class-related. His kids weren't taking any notice and his wife seemed embarassed, but my guess is that he had been having a bad day already or had had a row and I just stepped in at the wrong time for him....we've all been there.....but we each handle it differently. The weird part was that it took me about a minute before I realised that he really meant it. Equally weird was that he never shouted and barely raised his voice, it reminded me of getting a lecture off my boss in the past. My wife said she was sorry for his wife...if he could be like that with a complete stranger, would he ever lash out at her?..
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:I've met a few people who seem to think that normal rules of decorum do not apply when out in the hills. Of course, it matters all the more - if a fight starts, where would it stop? Some make rude comments, or critisize my kit or route. I used to puzzle over their behaviour, now I just punch them in the face. It works.

Nice One. We'll have to be extra nice to everybody we meet now, just in case it's you, although we're nice with everybody, it's great passing a few minutes with a fellow walker.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby soulminer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Far to many of them about these days, unfortunately. Civility costs nothing.
I'm wtih Caberfeidh on this one, I'd taken the first comment and smiled- the next comment and I'd have removed my bag, smiled at his wife, apologised to his children and ........................
soulminer

Postby JTweedie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:23 pm

soulminer wrote:Far to many of them about these days, unfortunately. Civility costs nothing.
I'm wtih Caberfeidh on this one, I'd taken the first comment and smiled- the next comment and I'd have removed my bag, smiled at his wife, apologised to his children and ........................

Don't forget you need to put your leather gloves on first to show you mean business.
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:53 pm

What a shame that you met such an ass out on the trail, though by the sound of it the guy was looking for someone to unload on and you happened along :( I am always concious of others when I'm taking pics and try to make sure I don't hold them up as the person with the camera is the problem not passers by....this guy needed one good slog in the mouth :evil:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Red Peak » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:now I just punch them in the face. It works.

Followed by amputation and soup? :D
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion