walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from East Lothian

Hello from East Lothian

Postby laconic surf » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi everyone.

New to both the site and walking! Having just retired from rugby I was looking for a new pursuit to get me out the house and on a recent visit to Oban I climbed a few hills and got hooked! I am definitely more interested in hill walking as opposed to,say, a ramble round a loch. Does anyone know of any hill walkers in the East Lothian area?
I have started with Berwick Law and Traprain Law as a bit of practice (I ran halfway up both of these) and hope to gradually work my way up to bagging some munros!
Also, can anyone advise on how to learn a bit of orienteering? I have no idea how to use a compass and if there are any classes or something out there that people are able to suggest, I would be very grateful.
Thanks all :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Hello from East Lothian

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Welcome to WH,as for mapreading & using a compass try Mcofs & or Nts,or click on Skills & Safety at the top of the page.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Hello from East Lothian

Postby laconic surf » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:04 am

That's great, thanks some really useful information there. One question, is there any difference between the OS Landranger and the Explorer maps and if so which series would you recommend? I shall have a wee practice when I climb Arthur's seat next weekend...
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...