walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tomtain

Tomtain

Postby ngm1scot » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Route description: Tomtain, near Kilsyth

Date walked: 19/02/2012

Time taken: 0.75 hours

Distance: 2.9 km

Ascent: 130m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today started as a spontaneous one. After I'd walked the dogs I looked over at the Campsies - which I can see from the road outside my house - and realised that not only was it a cold dry day but there was no cloud on the hills. I had a limited amount of time this morning and after thinking through the journey times and the walk times there and back decide to go for Tomtain. In the grey morning light but rapidly reddening with the rising morning sun, the hills looked clear and sharp. Decision made, I jumped in the car with my backpack and headed off North.

When I got closer there was a light sprinkling of snow over the hills at the East end where Tomtain lay BUT as I had my new Scarpa boots with me and the snow looked to be only a light covering I decided to chance it without crampons. The hill road up to the car park was covered in thick ice and where vehicles had been before me the snow had turned to ice: this was not looking favourable for a first ever snow walk.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Anyhow after changing into my boots and setting off, I was pleased I had come and decided to avoid the normally well trodden path which today was still virgin snow (it was only 8.00am!) and walked alongside it for the most part.The summit of Tomtain lay visible, ahead of me
IMG_1099.JPG
Tomtain hill
. Apart from the fox which had been here before me,
IMG_1092.JPG
Fox prints..?
I was the first one here. By using the grass on the slopes I managed to avoid any potential ice hazards that lay beneath the snow. Tomtain is typically a very boggy and wet walk but today - although some of the worst bits were still "squidgy"- - the ground was pleasingly firm. Tinto was clear even though it was about 40-50 miles away on the southern horizon
IMG_1098.JPG
Distant Tinto

The views to the north, of the real mountains, were impressive and I spent some time thinking about what they might be but decided - as I sat on the cairn - simply to absorb the beauty and enjoy the dead silence.
IMG_1100.JPG
Hills of the North
IMG_1094.JPG
Looking East to the Ochils

As my rear end got colder, my tea was finished and my time was running out, I got my walking poles out and headed downhill and back to the car park all too quickly. Once back in the car the temp gauge for the outside temperature read -5 but it didn't feel like that to me. It was a great start to the day.
ngm1scot
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Tomtain

Postby snodland » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 pm

I have often wondered what the path up to Tomtain was like and your report has made it plain. I shall probably lead my walking group up it as soon as I can fit the walk in (and perhaps link it up with the paths around Glen Carron forest). Shame you haven't had more hits for the report
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby jester » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Tomtain is a cracking wee hill. We went in December- we couldn't get the car up the hill and had to walk a bit further than planned, before getting to the top in a blizzard! Thanks for the report. 8)
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby ngm1scot » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks. There is a path heading North from about half way up Tomtain which I think from the map takes you down into the Carron forest. I've not used it yet though so it could turn Tomtain into a real 400m hill instead of the short 130m from the main road.

I look forward to reading your report when you do the walk!
ngm1scot
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland