walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

A cautionary tale

A cautionary tale

Postby dodec » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:11 am

Living down in Plymouth the chance to get up to the Highlands and bag some peaks or take in some cracking walks is something to savour. So with the annual visit to Fort William i was looking forward to some fine winter peaks and getting on the mountain at the crack of dawn. But before that some family stuff to do....so we got the skiing out of the way on the first day and despite the snow/ice conditions i survived that unharmed.The next day however the innocent idea of messing around on off road segways at Ballachulish sounded like fun.....but beware these silent killers commonly found international ariports :evil:
It was only 15mins into the intro lesson whilst learning how to turn on steep slopes that the damn thing caught the edge of the hill, spun around and flipped over trapping my right foot as it twisted. As my foot turned through 90 degrees i remember waiting to hear the sound of bones cracking and splintering. By some miracle or maybe due to all that guiness over the years actually being good for bone structure they didn't, but with every ligament stretched to breaking i knew right there that it was curtains as far as peak bagging went :cry:
After the embaressment of the fall and further embaressment as my 11yr old daughter showed that she was clearly better than me on these infernal machines, the off road course was cracking fun, highly recommended.
Despite the lack of any big hill days the quality of the lower levels walks in Lochaber and Skye, despite my hobbling about, made up for it with some excellent family walks.
So beware.....Peaks first.....Danger ( :wink: ) sports after....Doh! :oops:
dodec
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:6   

Re: A cautionary tale

Postby sloosh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 am

My sympathies.

One thing I've learned over the years is to leave the youngsters to those types of things. Forgetting this one time, I had a go on my son's skateboard ramp. It was only a foot high and two foot long. Two broken ribs later... :silent: :oops:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion