walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bothy stories wanted... for the BBC

Bothy stories wanted... for the BBC

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 pm

BBC Scotland are wanting to gather some bothy stories. Let us know about your bothy-related stories and experiences.... must be plenty of them out there :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Bothy stories wanted... for the BBC

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:01 pm

I can't do that! I'd get arrested. So would Johnny The Chainsaw, Ming The Merciless and Wee Mad Tony The Pyromaniac.
Espesh for the Infamous Shrunken Head Incident. The Rat should never be mentioned, nor Toddy's Wanton Vandalism. The Time Wee Mad Tony Urinated In Front Of The Church Rambling Club probably wouldn't make for great veiwing, with or without heavy censoring. The Time With The Germans was pretty much covered in Fawlty Towers. The Vomit is hardly family viewing. About the only thing I can think of is The Great Time Of The Burning Of The Celtic Knotwork Design In Scotties When I Got A Red Hot Iron On The Leg Repeatedly Coz I was Too Drunk To Think Of Getting Out Of The Way. Which hardly shows me in a good light. So I'm not likely to mention it. D'oh...!! :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:05 pm

This thread is going to becaome epic! And as for the programme on the Beeb....cannae wait! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:32 pm

We still don't mention The Time With Toddy And Ruaridh On A Certain Island Which Must Remain Nameless...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby fraochydug » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:35 pm

i'd like to tell the one about the Polish special forces and the birthday party, but it wouldn't come across well on TV
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

And The Time Ruaridh Fell Out Of Tree And Broke His Leg But The Aberdeen Rescue Team Were All Drunk And Couldn't Drive The Landies So They Had To Get Braemar Rescue Team Out....Allegedly...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Or The Time Wee Mad Tony The Pyromaniac Poured Petrol Down The Bothy Chimney And Rolled Off The Roof With His Head On Fire...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby gaffr » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Ruigh Aiteachain at the time when the toilet and the sceptic tank was being installed. The night that the bothy was nearly burned down. :( I retired early to the then sleeping area upstairs. The other members, including the president?, together with the estate folks who had provided invaluable help with the installation through the use of their JCB. A considerable amount of the scottish liquid had been consumed prior to me going upstairs. I fell asleep and during this time more alcohol was taken and great amounts of the off-cut timbers were loaded overenthusiastically onto the open fire. The consequence was that I was fortunately awakened by the crackling of the on fire roof timber. :(
I grabbed my sleeping bag and somehow got downstairs shouting that the place was on fire. Immediately a chain gang with pots, pans and whatever we could get to hold water into the bothy and upstairs to a couple of 'front line' guys, who ruined their clothing and got some burned skin, and who somehow got control of the fire. A very close call.
The next day was spent repointing the internal chimney stonework and bracing a few of the badly damaged roof woodwork. Some years before this incident the bothy had another close call....in the days when petrol and paraffin stoves were used widely. We arrived late and got some sleeping space downstairs. Upstairs were St.Andrews university folks who were cooking in their sleeping area! :shock: We could hear the petrol stoves purring away. Sudden panic when a fire started sleeping bags etc were ablaze....again the chain gang went into action to save the bothy....much gear was lost. :( Nowadays the upstairs sleeping area is closed off as it is now in some of the other bothies. Myself, after these experiences, I always look for a sleeping area downstairs in a bothy. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby AlisonFox66 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:31 pm

The Time Wee Mad Tony Urinated In Front Of The Church Rambling Club

maybe it would make Songs of Praise :D
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby scoob999 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Or The Time Wee Mad Tony The Pyromaniac Poured Petrol Down The Bothy Chimney And Rolled Off The Roof With His Head On Fire...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 pm

They should read "Mountain Days and Bothy Nights", by Dave Brown and Ian Mitchell. Stories of Lochnagar Royal Bothy, Bob Scotts, Secret Howff, Dreadful Dosses, Bothies Fabled... and more. - A great read.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:11 pm

A colleague of mine was once in a bothy which shall remain nameless up Dunkeld way with a Duke of Edinburgh group. They were camping nearby and he and another staff member were holed up in the bothy. During the evening a couple of old blokes came in - think they may have been fishermen - already worse for wear and bearing a vast carryout. During the night, as he slept in one of the beds in one of the side rooms, turned towards the wall, he felt the hot whisky breath and deep breathing of one of the old geezers on the back of his next! :o :o :shock: :shock: I think he clenched and played dead! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountainstar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Whilst stopping at "the Tarf hotel" Feith uaine bothy on my own in August 05, I had a scary night. At around 5am I was awoken by what sounded like a loud human sneeze, which came from inside the bothy, I thought someone had arrived during the night & was possibly in the next room, but I wasn't brave enough to go & have a look! I lay still for 10 mins but heard no further noise. I managed to go back to sleep again, but was awoken again by the front door banging in the wind, again I stayed put! Soon after that, a 3rd "noise" was the most scary, what sounded like someone knocking very loudly twice against the wooden panelled walls above me, and definitely inside the Bothy. I stayed put again! Somehow I managed to get another hour or so sleep & was glad to see the light of day, but was still freaked out & was glad to leave. Don,t think I will be going there on my own again! I still get a chill down my back thinking about it now!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby jester » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:50 am

I arrived at Ben Alder Cottage in horrendous torrential rain, completely drookit. There were two guys from Glasgow up fishing with the biggest carry out I've ever seen and enough food to feed an army. They couldn't have been more hospitable, sharing their firewood, making fresh pancakes, and most importantly, sharing their booze! They had built a wee circle of rocks in the burn to keep the booze cold, however with the amount of rain which had fallen the burn had risen considerably. The sight of them wading into Loch Ericht trying to gather up their booze as it floated away was hilarious. :lol:
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby kev_russ » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:04 am

After a rain soaked 2 days camping and low level walking at Torridon, me and a couple of mates decided to head back South but maybe bothy it and still be in the wild in order for a good walk the day after. After looking at the map we decided on Ryvoan Bothy. We drove to Glenmore Forest Park and took a walk up to the bothy early evening. Only one person was in there, “Kev the Condor” who told us he had walked up from near Blair Atholl that day. He had spent the previous 2 nights in the bothy near there but couldn’t get North due to the high River but decided that day he was wading in. Needless to say he was rather wet but his eyes lit up when we pulled out a bottle of whisky and jakey Strongbow. :) A night of stories and banter followed with the fire roaring as Kev told us about his adventures of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. The next day we said our goodbyes to Kev as we headed for Bynack More. He was walking back to Aviemore to meet his wife and get the bus back home to Wigan. (Dedication for ya). Kev is in his 70’s, loves the Highlands and loves walking. Whit a legend. :thumbup:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion