walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A damp day up Mayar and Driesh

A damp day up Mayar and Driesh

Postby neilfowlie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 11/06/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

(Before I start I must admit I wrote this walk report months ago but never got round to attaching the photo's. For various reasons I have just not had the time. Any free time I did get though I made sure I was still getting out there on those Scottish Hills to which I will write reports about and hopefully get back on track with my Walks Diary. Sorry for the delay :oops: )

Mayar and Driesh was two Munros I was leaving to do with a work mate, Ian. As he stays down beside Laurencekirk I drove down to his then took his car to the start at Glendoll rangers hut car park. We should have set off at 8am but halfway across Aberdeen I realised I had left my camera at home and I couldn't do the walk without my camera.
So it was just gone 9am when we left the car and started heading towards Jock's Road. Some familiar sights started to appear above and below the tree line. From the crags at Erne Craigs edging above the canopy to the White Water stream flowing parallel to the track we were on. Not long had we been walking when we past the turning to Jock's Road to the right of us but this time we stuck to the main track as Corrie Fee was todays distination.
Crossing the bridge over White Water the track began to climb slightly and with breaks in the pine forest, partial views of Driesh and the Shank of Drumfollow.
CIMG4150.JPG
The Bridge over White Water

CIMG4152.JPG
Driesh in the distance

After an hours walk the last of the pine trees could be seen in front of us and the beauty of Corrie Fee opened up. After taking in the scenery for a few minute we headed off. Next stop, Mayar.
CIMG4155.JPG
Corrie Fee

By 10.30am we were climbing the side of Corrie Fee with the waterfall in front of us and with stunning views of Glendoll Forest behind us. It had came on drizzle when we entered Corrie Fee and didn't look like holding up but as long as the cloud stayed high enough so we could enjoy the views we were happy.
CIMG4160.JPG
Fee Burn waterfall

CIMG4164.JPG
The view behind us

Eventally we were at the top of the corrie and a more gentle climb up to the top of Mayar was in front of us. The cairn could be seen in front of us and after walking for 2.5 hours the first Munro of the day was ours. Time for a bite and take in the views which were limited to low lying areas as the cloud was just above our heads.
CIMG4169.JPG
Creag Leacach and Glas Maol in the far distance

CIMG4171.JPG
Mayar summit, 928mtrs

CIMG4179.JPG
Destination Driesh

The temperture was a bit on the clilly side especially with the wind picking up slightly but with a clear path to follow and fuelled up again we head for Driesh. Once past the Shank of Drumfollow and a short ascend later the top of Driesh could be seen.
CIMG4185.JPG
The Shank of Drumfollow to the left looking into Glendoll Forest

CIMG4194.JPG
Almost there...

CIMG4193.JPG
Looking back to Mayar

When approaching the cairn at the summit I realised it was built in a "c" shaped wind breaker shelter with the trig point in the middle. Hoping I would get out of the wind for a few minutes was soon blown away as the opening was facing the cold north wind. At least the drizzle had stopped.
CIMG4196.JPG
Driesh cairn, 947mtrs

After a quick bite we soon got moving again as to not get a chill. Soon we were on the path which cuts down the side of the Shank of Drumfollow. Before the walk, Ian and I had discussed the possibility of ascending the Shank and descend from Corrie Fee but this long sloping, at times narrow path I thought was easier coming down than it would have been walking up.
CIMG4213.JPG
On the Shank

Luckily enough we had reached the trees of Glendoll Forest when the drizzle returned but by this time it was 2.50pm and with about a 40 minute walk left to do this gave us time to contemplate on the days events and to start planning our next venture.
neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: A damp day up Mayar and Driesh

Postby Cairnbeg » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:20 pm

...'bout time ! :wink:
Cairnbeg
Hill Bagger

Munros:27   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby chickadee » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Looks like the sort of weather I had last week up that way! I need to do these Munros soon, looks fun!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby neilfowlie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Cairnbeg wrote:...'bout time ! :wink:

Yeah, better late than never pal. Good times though.
chickadee wrote:Looks like the sort of weather I had last week up that way! I need to do these Munros soon, looks fun!

It wasn't the best day of weather but I suppose it could have been a lot worse. Corrie Fee looked awesome in the drizzle so I can only imagine how a sunny days trek would be like. Defiantly do these Munros soon
neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland