walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Salamander -Beinn an Dothaidh - Grade III

Salamander -Beinn an Dothaidh - Grade III

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh

Date walked: 05/02/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

once again I have added a video of the day from a few weeks ago. Clag was in to start with but as you can see the blue skies appeared at just the right time 8)

DSC00915.JPG
a short stop at Loch Earn to get sunrise

Was icy and snow level was around 300m. On driving up the road we stopped at the Bridge of Orchy hotel and had a look a the route with the binoculars. It looked good and was in. As we set off up the tourist path the clag filled the gully and the fine view of the route dissappeared unfortunately. There had been some fresh snow and this proved a little tricky as we headed off the track and onto rocks towards the start of the route. When we got there , two climbers were ahead of us on the first pitch. The ice was good but the views at this point were not!!! Some point through the first pitch it started snowing - the second pitch was probably the highlight of the day with a nice steep bit of ice at the top to get to thebelay for the third pitch.
DSC00934.JPG
second pitch
Good fun but cold hands here by this point!! The snow was still falling when we reached the final pitch which was fantastic with great ice. As we headed up this final pitch something strange happened - the clouds parted and the sun came out - a fantastic way to finish the route.
DSC00967.JPG
top and blue skies
DSC00982.JPG
descending back in to the cloud
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Salamander

Postby quoman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:10 pm

I said it on you last report MAD but looks amazing wish i had the B&*% TO DO IT :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Salamander

Postby PeteR » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:31 pm

S*d that for a game of soldiers :lol: :lol: :lol: I think I'll be sticking to the paths up the hills.

Really enjoyed the video though :D :D It looks like the three of you had a great time doing this and despite the fact you wouldn't get me doing this anytime it does look like great fun. Unlike quoman though I think I'll rest happy I don't have the b***s to do this :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland