walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Lee, Hunt Hill & the Shank of Inchgrundle

Loch Lee, Hunt Hill & the Shank of Inchgrundle

Postby GariochTom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:21 am

Fionas included on this walk: Hunt Hill

Date walked: 25/02/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 732m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a long drive up Glen Esk, we arrived at the start point of the walk and continued up the road, past the church; Invermark Castle (an impressive tower house dating from the 14th Century, built to guard the southern end of the strategic pass leading from Deeside); Invermark Lodge on the hillside to our right, and then a number of attractive cottages.

We shortly reached the foot of Loch Lee, where there were the remaining gable ends of an old church.
P1010341.JPG
Old church

It was extremely windy as we walked along the north side of the loch, but the visibility was excellent and there was only patchy cloud in the otherwise blue sky.

Eventually we reached the head of the loch, and we continued past a deserted house (Glenlee) and onwards, before stopping for elevenses in a sheltered spot alongside the track.

After another couple of kilometres along the track we crossed a footbridge over the first of several attractive mini-waterfalls, and soon reached the Falls of Unich, where we had our 'first' lunch stop.
P1010416.JPG
Falls of Unich

Pano 1.JPG
Panorama 1

Once we had eaten enough food and taken enough photographs, we ascended the rough path alongside the Water of Unich up to the Falls of Damff, taking short diversions to look down the gorge and take yet more watery photographs.
P1010421R.JPG
Mini waterfall

P1010440R.JPG
Pouring

P1010447R.JPG
Falls of Damff

P1010453.JPG
Falls of Damff

Nearing the top of the glen, there was a real sense of enclosure provided by the steep sides of Hunt Hill to the right and Craig Maskeldie to the left.
On reaching the more open landscape at the top, we decided to head up Hunt Hill (after all, it is a Graham, and it seemed to be a good vantage point...).
The hill being 'only' a Graham, there was no clear path up and little sign of erosion, but for much of the way we managed to follow a faint path through the heather, largely on the edge of the ridge with excellent views down the glen.
P1010486R.JPG
Falls of Unich and Craig Maskeldie

Panorama 4b.JPG
Panorama from Hunt Hill

Towards the top of the hill, the ground was less steep and more peaty, and we disturbed several white hares that had been hiding in the peat hags before springing out and bounding away.
P1010493.JPG
White hare

The summit had a very small cairn and the views weren't quite as good as they had been slightly lower down, so we didn't linger for long but instead headed back down towards the bealach. We ended up descending a bit too quickly, into an area of vegetated boulders which were difficult to move over, so ascended slightly again to find an easier way down.
After crossing the bridge our next target was Carn Lick. However, we headed east rather than southeast so ended up reaching the lip of the corrie of Carlochy, which afforded an excellent view across that smaller loch and Loch Lee itself.
P1010500R.JPG
Carlochy and Loch Lee from north of Carn Lick

P1010505R.JPG
Loch Lee from north of Carn Lick

We then made a beeline to the track heading down the Shank of Inchgrundle, spotting another group of white hares in the distance, who were really noticeable in their white coats in the absence of more than a few patches of snow.
P1010507.JPG
White hares

It was a relief to reach the track which allowed for much easier walking, and we quickly descended the shank, enjoying impressive views of the corrie with Carlochy at its base.
P1010509R.JPG
Carlochy

Towards the bottom of the zigzagging track we entered an area of larch trees before crossing a small bridge beside Inchgrundle. It was then a quick march along the good track beside the loch, and we reached Invermark surprisingly quickly so there was enough time to take a few more photographs of the castle; attractive birch woodland and early snowdrops before heading back to Aberdeenshire.
P1010524R.JPG
Castle

P1010518R.JPG
Birch woodland

P1010528R.JPG
Snowdrops

loch-lee-and-hunt-hill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: Loch Lee, Hunt Hill & the Shank of Inchgrundle

Postby scoot100 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Great report :) I've walked Loch Lee and the area's around it many times, but I'm going to do the walk very soon :) Hunt hill looks like a great vantage point to me as well :)
scoot100
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Lovely stuff! I've had this one pencilled in for this year and your report has made me move it further up the list...
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby morag1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Great report and lovely pics of a very isolated and unknown part of the north :D
morag1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 pm

I've read a few reports on this hill, all good ones. Hopefully climb it soon :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby chickadee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:31 pm

This is my next walk! Well, I hope. I've been as far as Invermark Castle, was sad it's just a ruin and you can't get in, but I had no idea till recently there was so much more to see beyond it. Your pics are really nice and inspiring, so next time it's sunny (actually sunny as opposed to BBC forecasted "sunny") I will head up there I think!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:45 pm

A fine walk this, right on me doorstep, and a great account/pics of it.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby GariochTom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks all :)

I highly recommend the walk (especially in sunny weather!) including the short extension up to Hunt Hill - only added an hour or so to the total walk time.
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Postby Klaasloopt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 pm

I look at the map of your walk, and do not recognize where it is without zooming. This for me is a telltale sign of an interesting report. Beyond the hill-bagging routine: a tower, a deserted house, a church, some falls. Good stuff.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby mrssanta » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:28 pm

and the names - Shank of Inchgrundle is such a fabbie name.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby GariochTom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:I look at the map of your walk, and do not recognize where it is without zooming. This for me is a telltale sign of an interesting report. Beyond the hill-bagging routine: a tower, a deserted house, a church, some falls. Good stuff.

Thanks - yes, I like walks which have more than just large-scale scenic interest - they're my favourites.

mrssanta wrote:and the names - Shank of Inchgrundle is such a fabbie name.

Hehe, yes! :) I wonder whether 'shank' is a word local to Angus - there's another Shank on the way to Mayer/Driesh in Glen Clova.
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland