walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Which GPS

Which GPS

Postby Tomsie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm

On a budget of about £150 to buy a gps and have being looking at Garmin eTrax10 or Dakota 10 anyone got one of these or know if they any good
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: Which GPS

Postby basscadet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Depends what you want.. Do you want maps? or just a grid reference if it is too misty?

I have a Garmin Vista HCX, which does pretty much everything a GPS could do. It is pretty much the same as my friends Etrex 20, but it is bulkier, and the software is a bit older.. Its never let me down (apart from hiding from me for 3 months) so I can thoroughly recommend either. Watch though, because if you get one that takes maps, the maps cost almost as much as the GPS! :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Tomsie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Well was hoping to get something that i can download the routes from here and when I'm out on hills it points me in right direction when theres no visibilty,,
Tomsie
Walker

Postby ayrborn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Have you thought about the dakota 20? £167 on amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-0078 ... 255&sr=8-2
I chose this one over the 10 because of the sd card slot. There a quite a few good free map sites about as well. It has never let me down yet.
ayrborn
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby scoob999 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Hi Tomsie
iv'e also got the Garmin etrex vista hcx
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Vi ... 981&sr=8-1

Although older and with a smaller screen than the new etrex models, it has all the bells and whistles you'll ever need :D
Batteries last at least 12-14 hours, really!
It takes the sd card for topo maps which arent cheap :(
If you do get one with an sd card slot geez a shout, i might be able to help with the maps :D
I use mine more just to confirm my map reading now, but i find it invaluble sometimes
And you get all the stats when you get home, or before you leave, eh Spider! :lol: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Bod » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:09 am

Hi Guys,
I am going to watch this one, because I have been puzzled for years about the old gps/digital maps discussion!?! :shock:
I certainly might on occasion be very greatful for a grid ref. check, but then again I love looking at maps (big wide sheets and computer screens are my preference though!) Will always see gps as a back-up, but always intrigued?
Will watch with interest what you all have to say
:D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby basscadet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:31 am

Och the maps on a GPS aren't a substitute for a real map.. Even a computer screen isnt big enough to design a route without too much scrolling about.. I call my maps 'the sheets of dreams' :lol:
I like how my GPS map usually has different paths to the OS maps, so between the two, there is a comprehensive guide.
I like how it tells me on lumpy summits that I am definately standing on the right lump, at the right height..
And I like how it tells me how high I am, so i can see there is only 400ft to go :)

As far as routes go..the maps would definately give the route on the screen a bit of context! :thumbup:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby boabness » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:39 am

basscadet wrote:Depends what you want.. Do you want maps? or just a grid reference if it is too misty?

I have a Garmin Vista HCX, which does pretty much everything a GPS could do. It is pretty much the same as my friends Etrex 20, but it is bulkier, and the software is a bit older.. Its never let me down (apart from hiding from me for 3 months) so I can thoroughly recommend either. Watch though, because if you get one that takes maps, the maps cost almost as much as the GPS! :)

free maps from hear
http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm
boabness
Hill Bagger

Postby Tomsie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:26 am

Think I will just have to contact those who I have being out with that had them, I know its not looking like a map, but I was impressed with what I saw, and think they could be a great tool when theres no visibity
Tomsie
Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:42 am

Watch out for the stats though.... Scoob has his settings on Chinese Grid references I think....they never seem to coincide with mine :lol:

But watch for battery life, I didn't when I bought mine in haste and thats why I don't follow routes as it wouldn't last all day. That said probably wouldn't folow a route on one if I had, prefer the odd waypoint or instant fix grid ref and the good old map !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Tomsie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 am

yeah remember you saying about battery, what is model you have Dave.
Tomsie
Walker

Postby quoman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 pm

hI Tomsie

I use A Garmin Etrex Vista HCx loaded with the topo maps of GB i cant fault it once you get used to using it,

it does eveything that the more expensive one's do ok its not a touch screen to zoom in and out. But you have to use the bottons on the side no big problem.the route's download from the site in seconds hope this helps i got mine second hand with everything for £135.I take 2 sets of rechargable batteries the size of the batteries matter (uniross2100mAh) thats the one's i use one set lasts all day.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Tomsie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 pm

To be honest I'm probaly still none the wiser as to which one to purchase, one thing I can be sure it seems certain that Amazon are cheaper then most of the other sites, unless you get a someone on eBay thats selling one but there just as pricey.

The satmap active 10 has being given good reviews by anyone that has used it and said it was best piece of equipment that they have bought for the hills, but at around £290 is out of my budget for the time being, also the Garmin Etrex Vista is given a good review and is around the £130 mark.

I gave up on viewranger a while back for the simple reason I couldnt get it to work on phone or understand it more like , so tried it again today and read back on all the posts here and eventually getting head around it and with a bit of help from Smiffys post have a route downloaded for Saturday. So will see how that goes, will still have map with me.

Which GPS for me well will know after Saturday, if I find viewranger isnt that much help or runs down battery on phone to quick (will have spare phone with me) then I'm going to work a little bit harder :( and get the Satmap active 10.

But I will post back here again to let ye know how I got on with it.

Thanks for the replys and pm's.
Tomsie
Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Mines a Garmin Geko 301, good few years old.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Eskimo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:48 pm

I have the eTrex 10. Got it from Cotswolds who did a price match for me.

Good piece of kit so far. Basic but that's why I opted for this model. If you want a fancy coloured screen with fully loaded maps then this one is not for you. If you want a device that gives you an accurate grid ref that you can match up to a map and loan in .gpx routes to follow then this is perfect.

Battery life is very good as well and an important thing to consider for kit like this. Takes x2 AA batteries so you can also keep a spare set in your bag.
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk