walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Latest gear review: Socks

Latest gear review: Socks

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:00 pm

In the latest of our series of comparisons, gear editor Phil Turner takes a look at a vital though unglamorous item for your outdoors' wardrobe: socks.

Phil Turner wrote:Polyamide, Elastane, merino wool, midweight, heavyweight, 3 season – the humble sock can be ridiculously complex.
My personal sock approach varies according to the weather conditions, length of trip and footwear – as I generally wear mesh trailshoes I prefer a single merino-heavy wool sock that remains warm when wet. On a multi-day trip merino remains odour free for longer than a synthetic-heavy blend, but synthetic materials dry faster when wet. It’s clear that sock choice is a surprisingly tough, personal decision that can only really be made through experience and the vast range available in most outdoor shops doesn’t make things any easier. Getting it wrong can ruin a trip, but getting it right will lead to hill bliss and miles of blister-free pleasure.

Read the full socks review
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Latest gear review: Socks

Postby rockhopper » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Interesting review Paul/Phil - didn't know about some of these so may have a look

I noted that Phil found that Sealskinz socks eventually leaked - I use both the normal and warm lined Sealskinz for mountain biking and crossing water and haven't encountered leaks yet.

Wondered if you'd looked at Bridgedale ? I use the Endurance Summit socks, which have Bridgedale's highest level of both warmth and cushioning, along with a liner sock - maybe I'm old and "dyed in the wool" but I'd find it hard to change away from them even in summer.

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby sloosh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:35 am

Although I like the Ben Fogle socks, the 'Expedition' type I had wore out very, very quickly and were worn through to thread at the heel within a few weeks of not very heavy use. On the other hand (or foot) the expedition socks have proved to be very heavy wearing.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Gareth_j » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 pm

Are we allowed to ask if Phil modelled the socks himself? We think that his legs may need to see a little more daylight if so ;-)
Gareth_j
Stravaiging

Postby PhilTurner » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Webtogs Gareth wrote:Are we allowed to ask if Phil modelled the socks himself? We think that his legs may need to see a little more daylight if so ;-)

It's all in the editing. My legs are actually a lovely chestnut brown.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby AlastairS » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Terry socks , the ones where the wool is hundreds of loops is supposed to be warm in winter and cool in warmer weather. Trap air, allow moisture wicking and provide cushoning and prevent the socks becomming compressed so quickly taking away all of these advantages. Any thoughts ?
AlastairS
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Postby Alastair S » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:02 pm

AlastairS wrote:Any thoughts ?

This could get confusing :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Serious socks, seriously?

Postby Klaasloopt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 pm

As elsewhere in gear-land, in socks the names have gone out of control. Each sock is called 'revolution', 'explorer', 'ultra' or 'extreme', combined with codes, wild descriptions and all kinds of technical pads, patches and zones. Great fun reading that. All my romantic thoughts of being a hardened mountaineer get fired up, yeah. But imagine telling a shepherd or a mountaineer of old what my socks are called... :roll: :oops:

I'm trying Sealskinz this year for the first time, after years and years of wet feet. I'd like to have them in orange/yellow to compensate for their seriousness though.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby PhilTurner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:20 am

I'll be doing a multi-day journey in NW Scotland next month and I'm trying out a combo of a Teko Merino Ski Ultra Light sock under a NRS HydroSkin neoprene sock. Inside meshy trailshoes this combo should work well for the bog and river crossings.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby mband » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks for including the female equivalent :)
Didn't realise the complexities of sock buying!
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby kelpnella » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:56 pm

sloosh wrote:Although I like the Ben Fogle socks, the 'Expedition' type I had wore out very, very quickly and were worn through to thread at the heel within a few weeks of not very heavy use. On the other hand (or foot) the expedition socks have proved to be very heavy wearing.

I also had a pair of these socks and i can honestly say the same complete rubbish stay away from the Ben Fogel range.
kelpnella

Munros:106   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk