walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear review: Multi-fuel stoves

Gear review: Multi-fuel stoves

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Gone are the days when backpackers had to choose between the convenience of stoves powered by gas canisters and the cold weather performance and fuel availability of liquid fuel stoves.

Phil Turner takes a look at the latest generation of stoves that work with both types of fuel in his latest gear comparison review.

I reckon that the new breed of stove that can take isobutane/propane gas canisters as well as liquid fuels such as white gas could change the way backpackers view stoves forever....

Read the full multi-fuel stoves review
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Gear review: Multi-fuel stoves

Postby mrssanta » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:04 pm

oh no, something else to add to the must-have list!! I think we must have 9 or 10 different stoves/kettles etc in our house.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Gear review: Multi-fuel stoves

Postby alasdairwalden » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:30 am

When travelling in southern Greece and Turkey a few years ago the difficulty of obtaining gas cylinders of the screw valve variety made using liquid fuel stoves unavoidable. The main problem I had with this was not technological but human. To get the fuel bottles through customs, especially on the return trip, would require a time consuming process of repeated washing and rinsing, often in the airport toilets, in order to remove all smell of petrol before they would pass customs control.
alasdairwalden
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk