walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back to where I started for (Ben) More

Back to where I started for (Ben) More

Postby fipriestley » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 10/03/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Approached these 2 from the South so this was a return to the car park just before Inverlochlarig, where I was for my first Munros in September last year (Beinn Tuliachean and Cruach Ardrain). Not that long ago, but still a wee trip down memory lane: thinking I was fit until I went up that first hill :shock: , getting soaked through as I didn't have any of the right gear, struggling to keep going, then finally being determined to get and stay hill fit... and so here I am charging up the hills and loving being out in all weathers :lol:

Fairly bright start and it was dry! Stopped to put waterproofs on not long after this though and they stayed on for the rest of the day.
SDC12884.JPG
looking back to car park
SDC12885.JPG
Inverlochlarig

Although not the WH described route, there's a path all the way. Very wet and muddy in parts and quite steep from the outset. As we climbed the wind picked up and we were in the clouds once again. There were times, especially as the path levelled off a bit, where I was having to walk hunched over or leaning in to the wind so as to not get blown over. However it was never so bad that I couldn't stay on just my feet ie not the worst wind I've been in :lol: I did feel like the wind was just toying with me though - calm to sudden strong gust to instant calm. Since I didn't get blown off the mountain and I made it to two summits I figure I won this round :D

Quite a long slog to Stob Binnein since there were no views to be had but the battle with the wind needed most of my concentration anyway! (so no pics). From here there was a fair descent before the climb up Ben More. The wind was strongest at the bealach and was enough to put off another group we passed later. Clear path up Ben More which did become rock climbing (not just scrambling) a couple of times. Good footholds and very short sections so not too difficult, although today the rock was very wet making it more slippery.

Reached the trig point first then went to the summit cairn of Ben More, to cover all bases :lol: This was just 4 hrs after leaving the car park! :D
IMAG0863.jpg
Ben More trig point
SDC12888.JPG
Ben More summit cairn just about visible from the trig point

Coming back meant a return to the windy bealach, which hadn't eased up any, then back down (being careful to avoid crags!) and through Inverlochlarig Glen. Short spells of clouds clearing so we could almost see the top of Stob Binnein as we passed below on the way back. Extra bonus today was that the farm shop at Inverlochlarig was open so I bought some venison to try for the first time :o :D
IMAG0865.jpg
SDC12891.JPG
Inverlochlarig Glen
SDC12898.JPG
clouds move at the top of Stob Binnein
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Back to where I started for (Ben) More

Postby quoman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Nice one Fi

Ahh Venison you will love it.

had the same kind of weather as you today i was up beinn A ghlo nae views :(
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pigeon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:17 pm

Was the venison deer?
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Nice one Fi, and you can't beat a bit of bambi stew Mmmmmmm !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Enjoyed the walk report Fi .....and the wildlife reporting ... deer, pigeon spiders.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby fipriestley » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:58 pm

pigeon wrote:Was the venison deer?

o dear.. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Much cheapness at the farm shop - and it was lovely, even though I managed to overcook it!

Scotjamie wrote:Enjoyed the walk report Fi .....and the wildlife reporting ... deer, pigeon spiders.

Haha thanks! Thinking I should have been more imaginative with my username too :lol: We did see a fox running up the hill across the valley - first time I've seen one in the hills :D
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland