walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mamores cracker

Mamores cracker

Postby pigeon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 18/03/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1613m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This week had eyes on the Mamores to take care of some un-finished business from last year when i had attempted a round of four eastern munro's last easter but let myself down badly and only managed sgurr eilde mor(too eager to get to the pub that day :lol: )Never mind today that would be put right.So picked up big jim(other regulars absent today for various reasons :lol: )early and we were off.The drive up was brill,not a cloud in the sky and we made good time and were parked up at the mamore lodge and ready to go for just after half 7.
001.JPG
a glorious morning
004.JPG
onwards and upwards
012.JPG
am bodach?
014.JPG
beinn a' bhiether
018.JPG
an gearanach?
020.JPG
looking down to loch leven
Na Gruagaichean was first target the sun still beating down causing much sweatyness but we made good time up here and enjoyed great views.The sky was still clear to the south and east but it was a bit cloudier to the north and west though,could see most of the other mamores from here and made educated guess at which was which by using the map(clever or whit :lol: )but the best view was the ridge to binnien mor :thumbup:
024.JPG
jim on the last pull up to gruagaichean
026.JPG
first munro of the day
027.JPG
ridge to binnien mor
This was a great walk,narrow at times but nothing too dodgy,still a lot of snow at places but an enjoyable trek in the good conditions
028.JPG
029.JPG
sgurr eilde mor
Got to the narrow summit of binnien mor with no dramas then planned our descent
033.JPG
binnien mor
035.JPG
narrow summit ridge
This required a bit more thought especially as a wee blizzard came in and the visability was now not so good :( Picked our way carefully down the steep rocks keeping away from the steep snowy drop into the coire to our right,headed a bit further down to the north avoiding the steepest parts then back east-ish again to eventually come to the lochan at the foot of binnien beag.
039.JPG
descent
043.JPG
044.JPG
look back up to binnien mor
Had some soup at the lochan,baxter's cock a leekie(by far the worst baxter's soup,i'm sending a strongly worded letter to Audrey Baxter to tell her how crap it is :lol: )then made our way up the rocky slopes of binnien beag.
046.JPG
base camp binnien beag
048.JPG
rocky
049.JPG
me and jim ,Binnien Beag
Took us about half an hour from the lochan to the top of beag and spoke to a nice couple at the top who were doing the same hills in reverse from us,they were the only folks we seen all day(apart from some army looking types away over on sgurr eilde mor),they took our picture and we were soon heading back downwards.It,s quite a long walk back and the path drops a good bit between binnien beag and the lochan at eilde mor,wasstruggling a bit here so a breather was had at the lochan when another bit of bad weather came in
052.JPG
looking back at binnien beag and the weather closing in
053.JPG
nice wee blizzard
054.JPG
great fun
This lasted about 20 minutes,or long enough to soak us through,but never mind we soon dried out in the breeze as we trudged back to the car.So,after last weeks Cairngorm cracker i would put this down as another cracker,a bit of everything,sun ,snow ,rocky climbs,steep ridges,crap soup and great hills.Looking forward to getting back up here in the summer to maybe tackle the ring of steall ,Magic :lol: :thumbup:
056.JPG
last look down loch leven

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by pigeon on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Mamores cracker

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 pm

That certainly does look a cracker of a day out , great weather apart from the showers .
Shame about the soup :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Huck Finn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Another good report and what a cracking day for taking pics, you certainly managed to get some stunners :thumbup:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby sjb101 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Cracking pictures,love the ones of Binnien Mor's ridge and narrow summit,i knew it was narrow but not that narrow,good job the drop was masked by clag when i was up there :lol:
sjb101

Munros:117   

Postby quoman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Sure was a cracking trip you had everything the good auld scottish weather 4seasons in one day :lol: but you canny beat it.
Am away the morra and the weathers not looking to good :(
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Steve B » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Great report there pigeon. Really liked the pictures on the ridge. :)
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby monty » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Nice report Pigeon. Some great photos. My favorite area the mamores :D
monty

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Really does look like a cracking day, the narrow summit ridge scares me just looking at it on my computer screen... a lot more practice needed before I attempt that!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:51 pm

A cracking report pigeon. Love the pic of the ridge to Binnien More. How many inches wide is it at the narrowest point , and what angle of steepness off the sides? Your answer will decide if I ever set foot on this mountain :lol: :lol: !!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:7   

Postby pigeon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:12 pm

2dalmatians wrote:A cracking report pigeon. Love the pic of the ridge to Binnien More. How many inches wide is it at the narrowest point , and what angle of steepness off the sides? Your answer will decide if I ever set foot on this mountain :lol: :lol: !!!
Nothing to worry about 2d,just wait till summer if your not sure,great hills though highly recommended 8)
ScottishLeaf wrote:Really does look like a cracking day, the narrow summit ridge scares me just looking at it on my computer screen... a lot more practice needed before I attempt that!
Cheers Scottish leaf,it's a wee summiit for a big hill right enough :lol:
monty wrote:Nice report Pigeon. Some great photos. My favorite area the mamores :D
Aye ,cheers monty,looking forward to getting back up there :thumbup:
Steve B wrote:Great report there pigeon. Really liked the pictures on the ridge. :)
Cheers steve
quoman wrote:Sure was a cracking trip you had everything the good auld scottish weather 4seasons in one day :lol: but you canny beat it.
Am away the morra and the weathers not looking to good :(
Good luck the morra quoman,ye'll be on 101 hills this time tomorrow :lol:
sjb101 wrote:Cracking pictures,love the ones of Binnien Mor's ridge and narrow summit,i knew it was narrow but not that narrow,good job the drop was masked by clag when i was up there :lol:
Cheers sjb,glad it wisnae blawin' a gale :shock:
Huck Finn wrote:Another good report and what a cracking day for taking pics, you certainly managed to get some stunners :thumbup:
Ah ye missed a cracker Huck :(
Gavin99 wrote:That certainly does look a cracker of a day out , great weather apart from the showers . Cheers gavin
Shame about the soup :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Enjoyed that pigeon - great photos and another cracking day :thumbup: Haven't been up here yet but am hoping to some time this year maybe - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Wow yes! Very much a cracker....looks a fantastic walk. Been a couple years now since I was next door on the Ring of Steall, will need to return. Cheers :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby snodland » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:24 am

Top report - and an area I go to each year. But I have to share your opinion about the soup. Baxters is the best you can get right enough but my mum (rightly) sent a complaint when they stopped making a wonderful "Cream of Country Vegetable" and they never even replied let alone send her a caseful of the stuff in compensation!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby soapy27 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 am

Great pics .This route looks amazing ,hope to get some of the Mamores done this year :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby blueyed » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:32 pm

truly, that was a cracker!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland