walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Women on the hills...do they ever shut up?

Women on the hills...do they ever shut up?

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 am

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 6.15 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

Ascent: 1234m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a few busy weeks behind me, I was on the plane home from a business trip in Switzerland. Having seen the Alps for a couple of days without being able to set a foot out of the of the office, I was now presented with one of the most amazing views…the Alps from 20000 something feet up in the air – highlighted by the sunset. :-D :-D :-D Making a mental note to return at some point in my life, I started to think about the upcoming weekend and finally the chance to do some hillwalking again.

By the time the Friday arrived I was more than ready to hit the hills again. In fact having spend a few days with temperatures as high as 18C, my body was confused and I was indeed ready for a wild camping weekend. Having mental images of camping in warm conditions somewhere in Glen Etive, the weather forecast brought me back to reality… :-?

Expected snow showers and freezing conditions above 750m…welcome back to Scotland! Its not summer yet! :(
Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean were 2 mountains I wanted to do since a while, but after having done an Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin in knee deep bog I needed some time before I was able to visit ‘Bogland’ again.
As Marco was keen to come for another hillwalk with me, I was happy that I did not had to walk alone and I was sure that after his last ordeal, the 2 Munros were pretty easy and straight forward.

With the advantage of longer nights I was able to enjoy a kind of long lay in (7.30 am rise) and after a 2h drive, we started walking up the mountain at 10:30.
Having left the parking area and realizing there is no way to walk through the first field of bog without sinking in at least 5x, we reached the first part of the path…easy peasy. After having seen pictures of the wonky bridge in some of the other trip reports, I was not disappointed to see the bridge was as dodgy looking as I imagined, but at least you can cross the burn without getting wet feet.
DSCF8381.jpg
The wonky bridge

From there it was a long and pretty hard going walk up to Cruach Ardrain. I am not sure if it was lack of food or being tired from some busy days at work, but I really struggled for the first part. I hate days like that when the it takes ages to get the so called second wind. After we reached the top of Cruach Ardrain I finally felt I have woken up fully and my mood lifted a bit as we were presented with some amazing views. Beinn Tulaichean was also a lot closer than I imagined from the map.
DSCF8386.jpg
On the way up
DSCF8387.jpg
Brilliant rock on the way
DSCF8389.jpg
DSCF8391.jpg
looking back

After a quick drink in sub zero temperatures we did not stay long and walked towards the next hill. Within 5 min the weather changed and we were hit by a blast of snowflakes. Putting on all my spares I was pretty happy that I didn’t decided on camping and we walked on until we reached the top of Beinn Tulaichean. The snow showers did continue and sitting finally down at 2pm I had my much needed sandwich and tea. My energy levels were suddenly back and by the time we set off I was bouncing. :-D
DSCF8394.jpg
DSCF8396.jpg
DSCF8397.jpg
DSCF8398.jpg
DSCF8399.jpg
Summit of Cruach Ardrain
DSCF8401.jpg
Beinn Tulaichean
DSCF8402.jpg
Freezing lunch
DSCF8407.jpg

Looking back the path we walked up I realized one thing…there is no way in the world I would be walking back the same way…far too boring. :angel: :thumbup: Luckily Marco wasn’t happy about the fact either, so we decided to walk over the shoulder towards the left hand site which would take us to the valley on the other side of the mountain. Leaving the path and walking down the hill was amazing…the freezing winds stopped, the sun was shining and within 10 min I had to remove all the layers I had to put on earlier on. The walk down the hill and up the other side was so easy and reaching the last snow fields, we could see the easy walk down into the valley.
DSCF8411.jpg
Apart from going back the same way, turn to your left and walk over the shoulder
DSCF8419.jpg
The easy walk back

I really stared to question why this way was not mentioned in any of the guidebooks. I know it is mentioned in some of the trip reports on this site…but in my opinion it is a much nicer way to complete the round of these 2 Munros .

One word of warning is that the grassy slope is rather slippy and I had a few near falls, while Marco, much to my amusement, managed to fall flat on his bum, :lol: but only his ego was bruised

Walking down the right hand site of the path along the burn, I was hoping for a bridge, but at the end it meant taking shoes and socks of and walking through the burn…one reason why I always carry a small towel.

Hitting the path again was bliss and on the way back to the car we met another hillwalker. He told us he was part of a group and was waiting for 2 other walkers (a man and a women) who were taking their time coming down the other side of the hill. Looking at me with an ‘Excuse me but I have to say this’ :-? expression. He started ranting on about women walkers. :shock: ‘Women’ he said, never shut up, they talk all bloddy day….chat chat chat…how can anyone ever walk with them…they take ages on the hills! :shock: :problem: :crazy:
Pointing across the hill to the woman and other walker across, he said ‘ You see the two of them…what are they doing…they just stand there, waving, what are they doing...why cant they get a move on …argh I am waiting here since 45min … :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

He continued in a humorous manner and I had to stop myself from bursting out laughing… :lol: :lol: :lol: it was hilarious.
Saying our good byes and wishing him good luck we moved on. My question to Marco if I chat to much, was answered with a prompt yes :evil:
But to make me stop from throwing him in the next bog patch, he said that at least I had to drag him up the hills and not vice versa. :-D
Attachments
DSCF8395.jpg
Snow approaching
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Women on the hills…do they ever shut up?

Postby jstalker66621 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Having been out on my last few trips with women I have to say that the opposite is true...they are usually telling me to shut up!! I could blether on and on and on for Scotland...mostly about the hills and all the surrounding countryside it must be said...what can I say, I just get excited when im out.

If you ever park up there again to do anything, note to self, there is a path around the boggy field at the start :lol: :lol:

Quite disappointed to note that there was NO homemade map on this report...I expect to see that remedied for your next adventure :D
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:17 pm

I did these two from Rob Roy's place which I think is easier and has just one short muddy bit near the farm at the start.

About women talking on hills, I remember about 20 years ago climbing Ben Vorlich and there being much amusement from the men in the group as my (female) pal and I walked up the last steep bit deep in conversation. We were so engrossed in whatever we were talking about we didn't notice the steep climb so it worked for us but the guys couldn't understand it at all! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Loved your report and some fantastic photos, what a great day! :thumbup:

Mountainlove wrote:‘Women’ he said, never shut up, they talk all bloddy day….chat chat chat…how can anyone ever walk with them…they take ages on the hills!
He's either too boring to take notice of or, he just walks with the wrong companions :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:39 pm

jstalker66621 wrote:Having been out on my last few trips with women I have to say that the opposite is true...they are usually telling me to shut up!! I could blether on and on and on for Scotland...mostly about the hills and all the surrounding countryside it must be said...what can I say, I just get excited when im out.

If you ever park up there again to do anything, note to self, there is a path around the boggy field at the start :lol: :lol:

Quite disappointed to note that there was NO homemade map on this report...I expect to see that remedied for your next adventure :D

There is a path around it :shock: Lol with I would have known that before hand :lol:
About having a chat...I agree I like it was well...specially as I am used to walk by my own which can get a bit boring. Regarding my homemade maps...will promise one for the next report :D :D :D That hill was too easy 8)

dogplodder wrote:I did these two from Rob Roy's place which I think is easier and has just one short muddy bit near the farm at the start.

About women talking on hills, I remember about 20 years ago climbing Ben Vorlich and there being much amusement from the men in the group as my (female) pal and I walked up the last steep bit deep in conversation. We were so engrossed in whatever we were talking about we didn't notice the steep climb so it worked for us but the guys couldn't understand it at all! :lol:

I agree...anything which can take the pain away will help :D Personally I like the fact when a long walk passes really quickly

SusieThePensioner wrote:He's either too boring to take notice of or, he just walks with the wrong companions :lol: :lol:

I guess large walking groups are not for everyone...I think they started in a largs group with different fitness levels and he had to wait for the slow ones
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland