walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A week in Kinlochewe: Beinn Alligin

A week in Kinlochewe: Beinn Alligin

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 13/03/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I bet you are all looking at this post expecting to see wonderful photos of people scrambling over the Horns! :lol: :lol: It was my birthday. I wanted a decent hill day for my birthday – was that too much to ask? For once, high winds were not forecast so we thought we would have a go at Beinn Alligin. We might not be able to see anything but at least we wouldn’t get blown of the Horns. And if the scrambling was exposed we wouldn’t be able to see the drop! 8) Apologies again for the lack of spectacular photos but as you will see the day did not lend itself that well to panoramic views.

The path started at the bridge over the Abhainn Coire Mhic Nobuil and climbed steeply up the hillside to reach a deer fence. So far, so good. Reasonable views across Loch Torridon
DSCN0903.JPG
Loch Torridon
DSCN0902.JPG
Loch Torridon
and I can still see Katie.
DSCN0900.JPG
Crossing the stile
Then up we went into the corrie!
DSCN0905.JPG
Corrie??

Really there isn’t much more to say about the ascent except to note that you emerge from the corrie onto a plateau, take a bearing and make your way over to the summit. Things got a bit more interesting after that with a steep, scrambly descent to a bealach and then a climb up to the second Munro, Sgurr Mhor. I believe we passed a huge cleft in the hillside.

The best fun starts after Sgurr Mhor with another steep descent and the much anticipated Horns. The first two were easy, the third a bit more difficult but a really enjoyable experience. Even though the rock was very wet it wasn’t that slippery.

The path down to the glen was quite eroded and we had to scramble down some rocky ledges but eventually we were able to see the river and two bridges in the distance :clap: which we crossed on our way back to the car park.
DSCN0909.JPG
Waterfall near the road

It was still quite early and it wasn’t actually raining so we carried on down the road to Diabaig.
DSCN0914.JPG
Diabaig
Well worth the trip. :D
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: A week in Kinlochewe: Beinn Alligin

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Shame about the clag, but i sympathies. I did this walk the other way around in the clag, which i felt was a bonus going over the horns. :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: A week in Kinlochewe: Beinn Alligin

Postby skuk007 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 pm

:) Would agree Diabaig is well worth a visit - not much there, and the road is a bit steep and bendy, but I'd definitely like to go back.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland