walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Low level walks near Laggan

Low level walks near Laggan

Postby nzt2011 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:43 am

Hiya, heading up near Loch Laggan this weekend and was looking for some low level walks. Already got a few munros picked out but looking for something that all my party can do. Does anybody know any really nice walks. A small bit of ascent is not a problem

thanks
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Re: Low level walks near Laggan

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 am

The walk from the main Creag Meagaidh car park up into Coire Ardair might be an option. It does gain about 350m, but very steadily on a good path, and the scenery is excellent.

Another one is to follow the tracks from the W end of Loch Laggan to Lochan na-Earba (the approach for Creag Pitridh etc.)
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby nzt2011 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:35 am

Hiya, thanks for the reply. Yeah I had a wee look at Coire Ardair and looks a nice walk.
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Postby dodec » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 am

Hi, there's a walk on this site for Glen Roy not too far from Laggan which shows off the parallel roads, i've walked the first part of this ie up the hill which is steep but not for too long.
A little further out there's a walk around the falls at Loch Arkaig, the falls are pretty impressive (Eas Chia-Aig they are called) with a walk upto to a viewpoint, also the drive through the dark mile (MIle Dorcha) i think is one of most beautiful and eary stretches of road just before the falls.
Further round you could head to the end of Glen Nevis and walk to the Falls of Steall, this is a stunning little walk with a little adventure thrown in in the shape of a wire bridge at the end (you don't have to cross it mind). Again like the other two above there are walk reports and maps on this site.
For something more sedate, park at the Ben Nevis Inn and walk along the River Nevis and back (for a pint - make sure you check out the opening times first), nice woods and river setting all level paths. There are more walks in Glen Nevis which i could mention but it may be too far from Laggan, I'm used to driving distances for a decent walk so sorry if these are a bit far out. Check out this sites walks for the Kingussie area, there are quite a few.
dodec
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Liathach » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Lots of low level walks on the Ardverikie Estate. Lochn na h-Earba has already been mentioned . You can also walk the track up the river Pattack past Gallovie and beyond, passing various scenic spots featuring in Mrs Brown and Monarch of the Glen. There is a nice triangular circuit which takes you down to near Ardverikie House.
Liathach

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion