walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lawers 6 Summit weekend

Lawers 6 Summit weekend

Postby smiffysmc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 28.5 km

Ascent: 2278m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having to admit to the fact i'd not get back out in a while and mention from Dave he fancied heading to do Ben Lawers got me browsing through WH to look at more options. Along with Martin 'Mears' we decided to make a weekend for it. Dave had booked into Cruachan Farm Campsite with his caravan,so we decided to brave it and get the tents out !! :shock: Maybe this weekend would be the end of us !! :lol:
With the forecast for the weekend looking good,70-90% cloud free Munros,we set off for Glen Lyon at 6am on Saturday to meet Dave. We drove over the single track road from Killin to Bridge of Balgie passing two frosted tents at different locations,is this what we had let ourselves in for??
We parked at the carpark next to the telephone box and waited for Dave. While we were waiting a couple pulled up in their Landrover,it belonged to the owners of one of the tents we'd seen,so it was good to see it was survivable out there :lol: Sure the mans name was Tom and he'd traveled down from Aberdeen. Dave turned up followed by two of his mates Scott and Mark( sure it was Mark).

After the introductions and banter our group of 5 headed off................right up the driveway of some poor persons house !!! To busy talking,not even looking for the high gate that gave access to the hill. Looks like it'd be interesting trying to navigate round 4 Munros :D
Take Two...........through the GATE and onto the track that leads till your almost out the tree line,crossing over the wee bridge heading into the open. Blue sky all around,this was surely the best weather we've had so far at the start of a walk. There was even some heat in that strange yellow thing in the sky. As we climbed the views behind us opened up.

The views onwards wern't to shabby either. The higher we climbed the dusting of fresh snow brought a change to the landscape.

It seemed a bit of a slog upto the first summit,my previous sore back had returned with every step and the thought of chucking it did cross my mind for a wee second. But once at the summit of Carn Gorm made it worth it.

After a wee drink and some pictures we headed on towards Meall Garbh,which we could see from where we were which was strange, as we're usually surrounded by Clag !!

Target 2.In the distance.

Looking back at Carn Gorm

Onwards,following the weather beaten fence line,over the boulder strewen hill to Meall Garbh summit.

Off we headed to target 3,Carn Mairg. Enjoying the views en route turning right at the cairn to head along the broad ridge. A great section to walk. Eventually making it to the Summit. Scott and Mark had opened up a lead,so by time we got there they were off the summit hiding out the way of the wind.

We headed off the summit to join the others for a wee bit of lunch,before heading down the steep descent onto target 4, Creag Mhor.

We arrived at the final summit in no time :) Which was a bit of a relief.

We just got a summit snap and headed off the hill,a snow shower was not to far away.

When i say headed off the hill,we didn't follow the WH route,due to not looking at map and just following a track!! A look at the GPS ment we had headed aling the next kind od ridge instead of dropping down and through the glen.
So it was a case of cutting down the hill,across the glen to find the WH track. We all kinda spread over the hillside choosing our own route,myself and Martin getting to the propper track,Dave and Mark went lower and Scott headed straight down to the road.

Off the track.

On the track,looking back up the glen

On his ass

By this time,the knees were telling us they'd had enough,as the diverted descent had taken its toll. The path back to the car was a welcome sight. We met Dave and Mark as we came off the hill,everyone was knackered. Scott was waiting at the carpark,in fact....for 20 minutes !!! After celebrating our quest for the day at the carpark,we headed off. Scott and Mark home,Dave to his Caravan and us to set up out tents at the Cruachan Farm campsite.

Home sweet home for the night. We had the sense to get the tents up before starting on the cider :) A few cans,some food,a shower and a visit to see Dave in his heated caravan before sleeping bag time.

The sky was clear and the stars bright,looked like it'd be a cold one,it was!! :o Cosy enough in the sleeping bag but anything outside had the potential to freeze and drop off !!!

Clear skys again in the morning and i'm sure our tents were red when we pitched them,they looked kinda white. A coffee was the first call,followed by a walk to Dave's for a full cooked breakfast...........get in !!! He must of felt sorry for us :lol:

Fueled up and ready(ish) for Sundays quest, Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers. We packed away out frozen tents,picked up Dave and headed for the start point. There were a few cars there already so we pulled up next to someone getting ready to hit the hills. Turned out to be John who also uses WH for info. The three of us headed off,saying goodby to John and headed up through the nature reserve to the gate onto the hillside.

By this time,the prevoious days walk combined with lack of sleep and a few refreshments was taking its toll. The thighs were burning with every step and this is before the real walking started !! John was soon behind us and as we stopped for a cotume change he had caught up. After another chat we all headed up towards Beinn Ghlas,we had adopted John for the day...........or should i say he adopted us!! :lol:

We dragged ourselves up to the summit with John looking on and listening to out moaning with every stride :lol:

From here it was onto Ben Lawers,the final for the weekend 8)

Back at Ghlas

The hill looked a bit daunting,but the zig zag path takes out the worst of the ascent. Nearing the top

At the top :D

That was it,all done. Just a case of getting off the hill. We folled to lower path back to the Nature Reserve,showers of snow came and went but brightened up again just as fast,making a great gentle walk back to the car.

We had a fantastic weekend,from the hills to the camping. Meeting new people and waether that made it that bit more enjoyable.

Good times. Thanks to all who made this a great weekend.

Oh John. If your son looks up Cowal Summit Baggers on facebook,you'll find us there. 8)
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Lawers 6 Summit weekend

Postby laconic surf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Nearly every report I read on this route starts off with "we started off by heading through the wrong gate up to someone's house!" :lol: You'd think the owner would stick a sign up :D
Congrats on what looked like a great weekend that racked up that munro count :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby mrssanta » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:51 pm

cracking weekend!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby smiffysmc » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:11 am

laconic surf wrote:Nearly every report I read on this route starts off with "we started off by heading through the wrong gate up to someone's house!" :lol: You'd think the owner would stick a sign up :D
Congrats on what looked like a great weekend that racked up that munro count :D

It was the plan to get the count up. Was wanting to double my Munros but I'd had enough after 6. Ha. Aye, a nice big sign with an arrow would be ideal. :)
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby smiffysmc » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 am

mrssanta wrote:cracking weekend!

Yes, it was a bit special by our standards. :D

Would also like to thank the landowner for leaving the gates unlocked, don't think we'd have made it over the styles on way back!!! :D
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby quoman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:52 am

Hi smiffysmc

Absolutly cracking report the picture's the reading of it.

Camping next to Dave's caravan handy for the breakfast :lol: Quality stuff.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:06 am

Your photos are excellent. What camera do you use?

I can imagine the pain the day after the 4 and not a lot of sleep. I guess we're all a bit mad or we wouldn't do it! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby jonny616 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 am

Great stuff. you can't beat days like that. 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Jockstar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 am

Great weekend guys with a good choice of Hills. :D We've camped quite a lot at Cruachan and they are friendly and it makes the walking that much easier being near to all these hills. So well done and glad you didn't get soaked doing the four as we've done this twice in the pouring rain which was a blow. :( Also the long walk down the last hill is hard on the knees and was glad to get back to our tent :(
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby smiffysmc » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:41 pm

quoman wrote:Hi smiffysmc

Absolutly cracking report the picture's the reading of it.

Camping next to Dave's caravan handy for the breakfast :lol: Quality stuff.

We actually thinkin of camping under his caravan :lol:

dogplodder wrote:Your photos are excellent. What camera do you use?

I can imagine the pain the day after the 4 and not a lot of sleep. I guess we're all a bit mad or we wouldn't do it! :lol:

I use my Iphone 4s for my pics. The summit pics are taken with my wee digital camera that screws onto a wee bean bag to stop it gettin blown over,now known as 'Summit Cam'. The Iphone doesn't have a self timer :( .

jonny616 wrote:Great stuff. you can't beat days like that. 8)

Not often we get them,perhaps this Spring/Summer will bring more of the same :)

Jockstar wrote:Great weekend guys with a good choice of Hills. :D We've camped quite a lot at Cruachan and they are friendly and it makes the walking that much easier being near to all these hills. So well done and glad you didn't get soaked doing the four as we've done this twice in the pouring rain which was a blow. :( Also the long walk down the last hill is hard on the knees and was glad to get back to our tent :(

Aye Cruachan seems a good wee site,first time there and hassle free. Only £6 per tent,can't argue with that. Think we'll try a wild camp next time..........well roadside to start with. :) Think thats the knees recovered now !!!! :shock:
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby 2dalmatians » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:15 pm

A cracking report smiffy. Been working my way through Lawers and Glyn Lyon over the last few weeks and your report and pics are bringing it all back! Some superb snaps - love the one where it is just about to snow and you can see the sun through the dar clouds - had the same thing last week on Meall Bhudhe!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland