walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg, Cona' Mheall, Meall nan Ceapraichan

Beinn Dearg, Cona' Mheall, Meall nan Ceapraichan

Postby kenny3760 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:31 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 22/03/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set out from walkers car park in glorious sunshine. Made my way up through the forest onto the path which runs up by the Lael. Crossed the 2 burns, which look as though they could be difficult with more rain about.
Got to the pass in just under 3 hours and had a bite to eat before tackling the hills. Climbed Dearg first up the path beside the wall. Despite the heat and it being just after midday some of the rocks in the shadow of the wall still had a coating of frost on them and required a bit of care. Got to the cairn where I was treated to some outstanding views in all directions.
Back down to the pass and then up Cona' Mheall. From up here you get a great view into the impressive Coire Ghranda, which gives you the true sense of just how big this feature is.
Back to the pass and up the easy SW ridge of Meall nan Ceapraichan, where the views to the north were particularly good. Again back down to the pass and then down the glen, it was at this stage that I put a mid layer on for the first time, I had been wearing a short sleeved base layer all day. I'll try and add some pictures in later.

A great walk and day out. I intend to return shortly to get out to Seana Bhraigh and Eididh nan Clach Geala.
Beinn Dearg 009.JPG
Lochan at the pass at top of walk in
Beinn Dearg 016.JPG
Looking south from Beinn Dearg
Attachments
Beinn Dearg 046.JPG
Looking west (I think)
Beinn Dearg 037.JPG
Coire Ghranda
Last edited by kenny3760 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenny3760
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Re: Beinn Dearg, Cona' Mheall, Meall nan Ceapraichan

Postby kenny3760 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Added in a couple of pics
kenny3760
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:47 am

Where you the walker with the hat on and said hello to 2 other walkers who had lunch at the botton on Stop Dearg? If you were hello again :-)
Great pictures by the way!!! Will be posting my trip report later on :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby kenny3760 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Wasn't me I'm afraid. Just noticed I have the wrong date for my walk, I was out on the 22nd.
kenny3760
Munro compleatist

Postby simon-b » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:06 pm

kenny3760 wrote:Wasn't me I'm afraid. Just noticed I have the wrong date for my walk, I was out on the 22nd.

Kenny, if you've read the replies to Mountainlove's report for 23/3/2012 you'll now know I was that man with the hat :)
Have you done Seana Bhraigh and Eididh nan Clach Geala yet?

Doing the B.Dearg 4 and S. Bhraigh as three Munros on one day and two on another sounds like a good plan. As you know I did Seana Bhraigh on it's own on the 21st. I came back to do the B.Dearg 4 the same day as Mountainlove but in the opposite direction. A fine group of five hills, whichever way you combine them.

Nice photos by the way :D
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland