walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Invervar Circuit (4 munros)

Invervar Circuit (4 munros)

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 am

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 24/03/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1320m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are already a number of great reports for this circuit and so I am just going to add a few comments in addtion to my pictures which may help future walkers completing this route (in a clockwise direction)

1. The car park is 25mtrs from the Red phone box (directly behind it down the hill) - not half a mile away as I first thought!! :lol: Also get there early or there won't be any spaces to park. :shock:
2. The gate you go through opposite the phone box is a bit stiff - you need to lift it a little to get the bolt loose
3. The people in the know prefer that you complete the circuit in a clockwise direction - not sure why? :?
4. It took me approx 30 minutes to reach the metal bridge (2 people width) to cross the burn.
5. It took me 40 minutes to get to the point where you head up the hillside - seems a lot of people have trouble finding this. :?
6.If you start your walk very early ie 0630 - you have a very good chance of seeing a large herd of deer - a couple of dozen at least :D
7. The path from Carn Gorm to Meall Garbh is very clear. Make sure to take the left fork at the beallach to avoid climbing An Sgur (unless of course you want to add the Corbett :lol: )
8.The summit of Carn Marig is up the hill to the left of the rocky crags as you look towards them (approx 50 metres from the crags)
9. A safe way of coming off Carn Marig as you head to Creag Mhor is to walk down and to the left with the Carn Marig summit cairn behind you. Picking your way through these rocks is not as steep as heading directly towards the summit of Creag Mhor.
10. Once you complete Creag Mhor and start your return walk by retracing your steps back to the Col dont carrying on straight up the next little hill. This will take you into a steeper descent via crags. Instead take the path moving off to the right.
11. My timings to each summit: Car Park to Carn Gorm (2hours), Carn Gorm to Meall Gharb (1 hour), Meall Gharb to Carn Marig (1.5 hours) Carn Marig to Creag Mhor (1 hour), Creag Mhor to car park (2 hours but probably 1 as I got a bit lost :lol:)
12. Plenty of places to wild camp if you wanted to, especially between Meall Garbh and Carn Marig where there is a little Lochan which may provide shelter from the elements.
13. This was my first trip with more than two summits so pleased that I had the fitness to complete this. I would say that if you can cope with a climb like Ben Lomond you will have no trouble with this route.
14. On a clear day all the summits are visible and its hard to get lost, however in poor visibility it would be very easy to get lost.

Anyway I hope the above is useful.

P3240350.JPG
What a feeling to come out of the mist and realise you are going to get views afterall!!

P3240351.JPG
Approaching the final climb up Carn Gorm. We went to the left of the snow patch

P3240355.JPG
Carn Gorm - summit, nae bother for Roobee Doo!!!

P3240359.JPG
With Carn Gorm at our back you see An Sgur in the foreground with Meall Garbh in the back ground. See the two distinctive paths - go left to head straight to the next munro, go right to include the Corbett

P3240365.JPG
Approaching the very strange summit cairn of Meall Garbh - If I had a shovel and strength I would have buried all those fence posts. Modern Art isnae for me I'm afraid!!

P3240366.JPG
Butter wouldn't melt...at this point I am sweating buckets!

P3240377.JPG
The little lochan between Meall Garbh and Carn Marig with Marig and Creag Mhor in the background - space to wild camp here

P3240392.JPG
The summit of Carn Marig is just off to the left of this picture.

P3240396.JPG
The Craggs at the summit of Carn Marig. Very formidable, really makes you wonder how they got there like that!!

P3240398.JPG
Summit number 30 for me and Ruby!

P3240405.JPG
looking back up to Carn Marig - wouldnt fancy tackling from this direction in snow. The best approach is up the far right side of the picture

P3240410.JPG
Carn Marig in the middle with Meall Garbh and Carn gorm to the left

P3240415.JPG
The Summit of Creag Mhor - that dog isn't human...ehhh that does make sense - Doh!!

P3240417.JPG
Guess the munro - moby dick maybe??

P3240425.JPG
Creag Mhor - looking down towards Glen Lyon

P3240427.JPG

P3240428.JPG
Glyn Lyon - Carn Gorm on the right

P3240431.JPG
So near, yet so far!! At this point my feet were absolutely hammered!!! ouch!!!!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Invervar Circuit (4 munros)

Postby mamoset » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 am

That appears to be one of the "easier" routes to bag a handful of Munro's, nice tips and report :)

Chris.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Tomsie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 am

Good report and tips, glad you got views
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby littlemrs29 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:26 pm

Can't thank you enough for tips like this - I drove thro invervar yesterday after doing the Tarmachan Ridge circuit and plan to do this one soon. Love the photos!
littlemrs29
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Some handy hints there, 2D, and a great day in the hills - well done

2dalmatians wrote:3. The people in the know prefer that you complete the circuit in a clockwise direction - not sure why?
For some unknown reason, I seem to end up going anti-clockwise on many of my walks...including this one - didn't make any difference though, I still saw nothing but clag 8) cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jonny616 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:04 pm

Great day you had. I was anti clockwise :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:19 pm

jonny616 wrote:Great day you had. I was anti clockwise :lol:

Me & alan s went clockwise,then anti-clockwise,then clockwise,saw hee-haw all day & got lost 3 or 4 times.

Cheers for posting 2Ds & seeing what we missed.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tamw51 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Good stuff, im looking to get theses bagged soon, parked up sometime in october and had to leave due to stalking, but i didnt spot the car park straight off, some workies i drove past at least 6 times must have thinking wtf! :lol:
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for the nice clear pics! I always make a point of reading reports for this route and paying particular attention to any photos as I did it myself a couple of years back and was none the wiser as to what it was actually like. For all I saw I might as well have spent several hours walking around my local Tesco.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Graeme D wrote:Thanks for the nice clear pics! I always make a point of reading reports for this route and paying particular attention to any photos as I did it myself a couple of years back and was none the wiser as to what it was actually like. For all I saw I might as well have spent several hours walking around my local Tesco.

I echo Graeme's comments, just clag , clag , clag when I was up there, found the telephone box first time tho :lol:

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby quoman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi 2 dalmatians.

Good tips there and good pic's ruby looks to be enjoying the hills my pals dogs(bear) she's in awe my report's has done 78 munros' and she loves it.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks all for the comments, good to know that the tips are useful. Although I have been walking for a couple of years now, I am still acutely aware of the fact that I am still very much a beginner! Getting lost is my biggest fear, and there are very few walks where I don't stray at some point! :lol:

Quoman, Ruby loves the walks, just not the drive getting there! She is carsick every time we go :( but strangely never on the way back :? :?
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Jockstar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks for the tips but I have done this walk twice now and twice I have done it in pouring rain :( The things you do for your other half (suhowfar)!! Also in clag it is good to know something about navigation but when just starting out you assume that all will be right! :D The steep walk after the last Munro down to the car park may explain why the clever
walkers do it anti clockwise, as I have suffered sore ankles and knees twice!! :(
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi 2dalmations, I have just checked my records and I see that I was on these the same day as you with my two Nephews. Judging by the low cloud I guess we were on the hill about an hour before you, we started at the back of nine am. I was unaware of this site then so have not as yet posted photographs and report. No need now as you have covered it all very well :D We also went clockwise and took in the two tops. Great day was had by all after the initial cloud burn off.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby soulminer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Been a while since your last post, glad to see you're both back :lol:
soulminer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland