walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from the Netherlands

Hello from the Netherlands

Postby Northguy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:31 am

Hello all,

My name is Patrick and I am from The Netherlands. I got here on this site and forum while researching our West Highland Way trip that we are planning for 18-26th of April. Thanks to all for all the usefull tracks and information on this site. :)

I am particularly interested in an alternative ending of the WHW by making a crossing from Kinlochleven to Glen Nevis over the Mamores. I managed to comprise some alternative routes, based on a combination of routes I found here. What we are planning:
* Ascent to Am Bodach (thanks to Redrock),
Cross the Sgurr ann Lubhair
* Descend along Allt Coire a Mhusgain or along Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean (this route clockwise or anti clockwise)
* or Alternative descend along Sgurr á Mhaim and Sron Sgurr á Mhaim

Perhaps we might make for a high camp to tackle the route in 2 stages. All depending on time, fitness and weather. We are fit and experienced walkers, but no mountaineers.

What I am interested in, is what the weather conditions will be at the tops and ridges by the end of April (25/26th). Will there still be snow?

What are your thoughts on this? Any advice on weather/snow or planned routes?
Attachments

whw.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Northguy
Scrambler

Munros:12   
Donalds:1

Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Postby Harmen NL » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Patrick,

nice to meet another Dutchman here :)
In the coming 2 weeks I´ll go up a few Mamores myself, some of them are exactly on the ridge you´d like to cross at the end of the WHW.
When I get back I can tell you more about the conditions there, hope that will help. I know that, in the moment, there´s not much snow left, even up high, but then again Scotland does get snowed upon even in JUNE!
As a walker, have you gone off the beaten track before, and do you have some experience with rocky terrain?
That would help me to answer your question.

Veel plezier met plannen!

Berggroet, Harmen.
Harmen NL
Mountaineer

Munros:34   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:8

Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Postby Northguy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:59 pm

hi Harmen,

Just sent you a pm in Dutch. A little easier conversation that way :D

Regards,

Patrick
Northguy
Scrambler

Munros:12   
Donalds:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...