walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dog friendly Munros?

Dog friendly Munros?

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi,

Was hoping someone could tell me if the below are not particularly dog friendly as they are my next hit list

Thanks in advance

1. Mount Keen
2. Ben Wyvis
3. Ben Hope
4. Ben Lomond
5. Lochnagar
6. Meall nan Tarmachan
7. Carn Mor Dearg
8. Stobinien
9. Ben More
10. Bynack More
11. Ben Challum
12. Meall Bhuidhe
13. South Glen Shiel Ridge (7 Munros)
14. Glas Tulaichean
15. Ben Chonzie
16. Beinn Narnain
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Re: Dog friendly Munros?

Postby andyfitz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:30 pm

Don't know about 5 and 11. The rest are unproblematic - on the assumption that the dug is hill fit - especially for South Glen Shiel.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:38 pm

andyfitz wrote:Don't know about 5 and 11. The rest are unproblematic - on the assumption that the dug is hill fit - especially for South Glen Shiel.

Nice one thanks for the reply. I have a black lab, super fit. He done the WHW with me in 4 1/2 days few weeks back. Sometimes I can't keep up with him :shock:
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 pm

andyfitz wrote:Don't know about 5 and 11. The rest are unproblematic - on the assumption that the dug is hill fit - especially for South Glen Shiel.

Agree with Andy - (though obviously not the arete if included with CMD). Ben Challum also straightforward for dogs (though this fool of a human missed the split ridge after the first top)
Also did the Tarmachan ridge with my lab a few years ago - one down section on the main path spooked her, but, she readily found an easy bypass to the south, as dogs do so well.
Not an uncommon past topic - worth searching the site for munros and dogs in the text search box
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Lochnagar should also be fine for a fit labradog
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby wee black dug » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Ben Chonzie's hoaching with mountain hare higher up, and there's a few sheep that pop up at random intervals throughout the walk.

That maybe doesn't make it non dog friendly from your point of view of course - your dugs probably do what they're told.

:oops:
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:48 pm

I never had any problems at all taking my dog on munros. If you read Hamish Brown's books, his dog Storm climbed every Munro at least once with him and he rarely had any problems either. The secret is to know when and where to take your dog, and to be able to demonstrate that the dog is completely under your control at all times, whether on or off the lead. A good understanding of hill farming, shooting, stalking etc. is also useful. The absence of sheep / cattle one week, doesn't guarantee that they won't be there the next week. I would have been devastated to have my lovely Golden Retriever shot because I hadn't been careful enough.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Dani89b » Tue May 10, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi.

Can anyone tell me out of the Munros below which ones do not have any live stock on route? I have 3 dogs, all trained off the lead but would like a Munro where i would not need to worry about passing sheep etc?

Ben Wyvis
Ben Hope
Lochnagar
Meall nan Tarmachan
Carn Mor Dearg
Stobinien
Ben More
Bynack More
Ben Challum
Meall BhuidhSouth Glen Shiel Ridge (7 Munros)
Glas Tulaichean
Ben Chonzie
Beinn Narnain
Dani89b
Mountaineer

Munros:63   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Holly » Mon May 16, 2016 12:49 am

Ben Wyvis - No sheep when I was there and none on the top but they do have a lot of young birds hatching and care is requested to keep to the paths
Ben Hope - Yes when I was there but only on the lower slopes
Lochnagar - Deer and lots of them.
Meall nan Tarmachan - Yes but again on lower slopes
Carn Mor Dearg - Dont know
Ben More and Stob Binnien - Yes on lower slopes and also,,, cattle with calves on the lower slopes. Not seeing them on the way up does not mean you wont encounter them on the way back. (speaking from experience and I was bricking it).
Bynack More - Nope
Ben Challum - yes and lots but on the lower slopes.
The South Glen Shiell Ridge - Dont know
Glas Tulaichan - Cant remember
Ben Chonzie - Yes an the farmer at the bottom has a mean woof dog to give you a scare at the bottom if I remember correctly.
Beinn Narnian - Sheep all over the pasture sides of the Munros here.

The above are not reliable and are only as I found them! As someone has said before it will depend on the time of year and extra care now with lambs. I used to have two wonderfully trained dogs that would walk at my heel and were 100 percent reliable going through anything. One has sadly died and I have since got a very untrustworthy (at the moment) rescue dog that stays on lead unless I am absolutely certain there is nothing alive she could decide to chase and she is kept away from ridges. I hope this changes as she is becoming better trained but that wont be for a long while yet so will be on the lead unless I am certain. You really cant guarantee so keep your eyes peeled :-). I hope this helps. I do feel a lot more comfortable in the Cairngorms with her at the moment but I am sure you will assess your dogs as you go. I hope this helps.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion