walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Cox Hill - Abandoned due to snow!!

Canada - Cox Hill - Abandoned due to snow!!

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:36 am

Date walked: 29/03/2012

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 10.4 km

Ascent: 620m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The map below tells the tale of this walk, the highest summit of Cox Hill remained out of reach courtesy of excessive snow on top. I had set out to see just how hard it would be to reach a reasonable summit without snowshoes....pretty damn hard is the answer.

there was still ice in the car park at Dawson Equestrian camp-ground just off the Powderface Trail 3km from highway 68. The sun was beating down already but in the deep valley the temperature hung at -4 and ice remained on the car park puddles.

the trail starts from the North-East corner of the car park where a short walk through the trees brings you to a bridge across Jumpingpound Creek. There is clear evidence of snowshoeing along the path making easy going at these early stages

the trail makes a gentle ascent through dense forest, with a good depth of snow I'm glad of the trail breakers who have gone before me, the snow is firm enough to hold my weight without movement

there are occasional views as the ascent continues, still in good firm conditions with a steady climb

a short descent to cross a narrow ravine sees the true ascent begin, the trail is still well trodden but micro spikes were now needed to cope with ice under the surface

by the time I reached the first little plateau the trail has narrowed but at least one intrepid snowshoer has been this far which is just enough to make a decent path to follow

continuing the ascent the snow is getting progressively deeper and though it is heavy wet snow it collapses to knee depth if I step off the narrow snowshoe trail

at another overview I stop for a cuppa and consider my options, the firm path has now gone there is just sufficient change in surface to see where it used to be, I opt to carry on for a while, perhaps conditions will improve...........

after a real hack through some deep snow for over 2km I found myself on a level area, still plunging through with every other step but able to see a glimpse of the mountains on the horizon

another km or so of knee busting snow and I emerge onto the lower summit of Cox Hill to a mass of thigh deep drifts, there is still about 1km and 200m (650 feet) of ascent to go to reach the spectacular views described in my guide book. I have another cuppa and set off on one final push...........

the snow was actually thigh deep with every step and almost impossible to negotiate, I doubt I made 100metres before I turned around and headed back in my own footprints/bodysplats, I didn't stop until I reached the overlook 3km back down the trail where I had my lunch break and refitted the micro spikes for the descent

with good paths once more and the long downhill run I soon made it back to the creek crossing at the start of the trail, I wasn't too disappointed with the hike, I'd found out about the snow conditions above 6000 feet and had a good strenuous work out on another beautiful day. If this is what a relatively small hill is like I guess I'll be waiting some time yet for the big stuff......
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Cox Hill - Abandoned due to snow!!

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:01 am

Well, another time Chris for those views from the top. As you say, a good workout and, some more lovely photos for us to look at :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Clach Liath » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:54 am

ChrisW wrote:The map below tells the tale of this walk, the highest summit of Cox Hill remained out of reach courtesy of excessive snow on top. I had set out to see just how hard it would be to reach a reasonable summit without snowshoes....pretty damn hard is the answer.

Tut tut - should have known better :lol:

Liked the report BTW.
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:54 pm

Clach Liath wrote:Tut tut - should have known better :lol:
Liked the report BTW.

Cheers CL, I kind of knew but just wanted it not to be the case :lol: weather says snow in the mountains for the next 7 days so I'd better keep the snowshoes handy :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:02 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Well, another time Chris for those views from the top. As you say, a good workout and, some more lovely photos for us to look at :lol:

Thanks Susie, don't know how I missed this comment...sorry for the tardy response....a bit like my effort on this hill I think.....must try harder :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 pm

You definitely needed a paved path or even better a tarmac road, :lol: nice pics Chris and thanks for your comments. Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:12 pm

DaveB1 wrote:You definitely needed a paved path or even better a tarmac road, :lol: nice pics Chris and thanks for your comments. Dave

Cheers Dave, I'll be back and get this damn peak.....just not for a week or two :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland